Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is a question I thought up thinking about Librarian. in basic hes a Psyker that the space marines recruited and trained. now a normal marine is worth about, 5 guardsmen so it worth predicting that a Librarian worth about 5 normal Psyker. but, this is the point of the Thread, what would happen if a Chpater recruited a Null. whould they care? and if they did what then? would they train them to use there powers? How much strogger would they be? How would they learn who to do it? would they have to ask the assasains for help? what there role be in a chpater? What do the Purely codex chpater feel about this and how would the Inqusiton, for that matter the whole imperium fell about a chapter with blanks in it?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
A Space Marine is worth a hell of a lot more than five Guardsmen.
As for Librarians, it's hard to say, a normal non SM psyker is still a very dangerous oponent depending on the strength of his powers.
Although a Librarian is highly trained in the use of his powers I very much doubt it would actually increase the strength of those powers, just his control of them.
As for the Blanks....

pass!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Space Marine is worth a hell of a lot more than five Guardsmen.
As for Librarians, it's hard to say, a normal non SM psyker is still a very dangerous oponent depending on the strength of his powers.
Although a Librarian is highly trained in the use of his powers I very much doubt it would actually increase the strength of those powers, just his control of them.
i let my own view slid in, a space marine Psyker would be more power full. a Psykers power is base on his disipline, his control of them, the more will he has the stronger he is, but were a bit off topic, the point about a Librarian being stronger then a normal Psykers was to lead into the question of the power of a space mairne Null.

·
Registered
303 Posts
...But don't nulls have no powers but that of blocking psyhic powers and warp-invisibility? I mean, I know that Pariahs have no other abilities, but how 'bout nulls?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think the Imperium would have trouble with the blanks, as they would probably help cull the number of unsanctioned psykers and perils of the warp throughout the Imperium. That being said, I'm pretty sure most individuals with the Pariah gene end up at the Culexus Temple or some other faction of the Officio Assassinorum.

A chapter of blanks could make for some interesting fluff though. Even their allies would hate them a little bit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nulls are probably swept up by the Inquisition. They are to valuable. An Inquisitor who hunts psykers/daemons may get a heck of a lot more use out of a Null than a Chapter who faces all kinds of enemies including non-psykers.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the imperium has actually tried to make a chapter of nulls, being the Exorcists.
They're not actual blanks, but through a process of possession by a daemon, they've created Marines that are invulnerable to the powers of the warp, therefor the same as nulls.

See lexicanum for more details :victory:

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
A null`s power is not limited to simply blocking psyker activity in the area. Some are capable of actually directing the focus of the field.

The culexus assassins use the animus speculum device to greatly enhance their abilities.

And yes, the Inquisition is likely to find any blanks long before anyone else would. But we canspeculate as always.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how common are Nulls any way? a Psykers, what 1 in a 100,000? so whats Null one in a 100,000,000? and if Null are more useful then psykers why are they not cloned?

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
the imperium has actually tried to make a chapter of nulls, being the Exorcists.
They're not actual blanks, but through a process of possession by a daemon, they've created Marines that are invulnerable to the powers of the warp, therefor the same as nulls.
They weren't trying to make nulls, they were making Illuminati, individuals who were immune to demonic possession. Had nothing to do with making Pariahs.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
how common are Nulls any way? a Psykers, what 1 in a 100,000? so whats Null one in a 100,000,000? and if Null are more useful then psykers why are they not cloned?
Nulls are about as rare among psykers as psykers are among the rest of humans.

As for cloning them? Have you started reading Nemesis yet? :biggrin:

·
Registered
394 Posts
no whats nemesis?
A new horus heresy book with at least one culexus assassin in it.

I reckon nulls couldn't be effectively harnassed to fight together as part of a squad, most are fairly irritating to say the least. But then again the sisters of silence managed it.... Actually whatever happened to them? Are they ever mentioned outside the heresy?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Could someone define what a "Null" is for me? I'm guessing it's somebody that is immune in some way to psychic powers?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
In the most simple terms they're anti-psykers.

Most humans have some presence in the warp, and psykers are raging infernos to the sputtering candles of normal humans- but Nulls/Blanks/Pariahs have no connection to the Warp at all. They can't be harmed directly by psychic powers (i.e. throwing a car at them using psychic powers will still smush them but if you tried to telekineticly move them nothing would happen), in fact their very presence cancels out any psychic powers near them and cause serious pain and terror to any psyker within range of their 'powers'.

Daemons quickly lose their strength around blanks as the warp energy that sustains them is cancelled out by the 'souless' properties of the Pariah.

It's a power that is genetic, but it's emergence is a thousand times (at least) rarer than psyker.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
So what powers offensively can pariash do? Can they use their void powers to make things explode, or disolve, whatabout invisibility, or a void black hole (trying to think of things)?

And what about the black pariah in nemesis? Did he show any powers that he could use to harm non psykers? Tk or anything? And if he was so powerful what happened to him?

·
Registered
962 Posts
@Baron Spikey Well I remember reading A THOUSAND SONS (possible spoiler alert!!!!!!!) and it seems that the entire sisters of battle/silence nagate the powers of the sorcerors. Is there another way ov obtaning this ability because it seemeed like ALL ov them had this gift.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
So what powers offensively can pariash do? Can they use their void powers to make things explode, or disolve, whatabout invisibility, or a void black hole (trying to think of things)?

And what about the black pariah in nemesis? Did he show any powers that he could use to harm non psykers? Tk or anything? And if he was so powerful what happened to him?
It differs with each individual but it's not an overtly offensive power but just something that they're born with, of course certain technologies allow them to project this aura (i.e. Culuxes Assassins).

In a way they're invisible, to psykers at least they'd appear as an uncomfortably vacant space (it's size dependent on the individual once more) but that in itself could allow a psyker to find them. When everything seems to be normal then it's logical that your Pariah quarry is situated in the only place you can't see. Of course even psykers can detect them with their 'natural' senses.

Oh they also create a sense of unease amongst non-psykers, so much so that they're often victimised because their very presence is antagonistic to other humans (though supposedly not to other blanks).

@Baron Spikey Well I remember reading A THOUSAND SONS (possible spoiler alert!!!!!!!) and it seems that the entire sisters of battle/silence nagate the powers of the sorcerors. Is there another way ov obtaning this ability because it seemeed like ALL ov them had this gift.
It's a genetic trait, the Sisters of Silence aspirants were chosen because they had tha genetic quirk rather than being chosen and somehow given the ability (which as far as I know is an impossibility).

Edit: oh and supposedly the Necrons, or at least their C'tan masters, introduced this genetic anomaly into humanity (or at least mankind's very, very distant ancestors) so that one day when they awoke they could harvest those individuals who possessed the gene to combat the power of the warp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
So what's this "secret war" all about then? Never herd of it.

I think there is a massive hole fluff wise regarding Nulls. I mean before the HH there was a shed load of null madiens armed to the teeth running around tearing it up. Now "poof" there all gone and no other arm of the empire seems to be going out of there way to gather them all together! I mean I bet Cadia would love a shed load of 'um or any other world neer the EYE.

Just my thoughts ;-)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts