Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since i played and painted the game (2004).
Due to the bother of my wife i have refound my love for 40K, after some work online finding out paintscheme's and testing them.
I have started to repaint my old Space Marines army about (2200 points) in the design i like.
I'm not the best painter, sometimes I got my case of the shaky hands.
So the details are very hard to paint for me.

I've just started painting them yesterday, I'll try to post some pictures this evening or tomorrow.
to get an idea look at the pictures i added here.

Scheme's:

Colors in use:
-Blood Red
-Scorpion Green
-Sunburst Yellow
-Ice Blue
-Skull White
-Chaos Black
-Codex Grey (needed, not at the shop at the moment)
-Chainmail Silver (needed, not at the shop at the moment)
-Bleached Bone (needed, not at the shop at the moment)

Keep u guys posted.

Greetz Fireflies

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
heya :)

I like your plan for a DIY chapter because lets face it DIY chapters rock lol. One thing i would suggest is that at the moment there are lots of colours spread out over the mini now thats not a bad thing but with the colours you have chosen it might end up looking a bit like a christmas marine.

maybe you could go for a quartered or halved scheme to centralize the colours more.

Just a suggestion hope it helps cant wait to see these.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Agree with LTP, the one in your avatar looks better with less colours. I'd probably not advise a halved or quartered scheme though, they are quite hard to pull off, and if you get teh shakes it might be a bit disheartening to start off with.

Is there any fluff for these guys? Have you thought about looking at pictures of real fireflies to get colour inspiration?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
it does look a bit christmasy, but i always had an issue with red and green put together it actually drives my wife nuts. but anyway its not a bad scheme quite bright and vibrant.

Colors i cant stand together are purple w/ green makes me think of barney, yellow and green or purple and yellow.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I like it. It's a nice change to the regular DIY chapter, including mine. The bright colours will make them stand out when they're fielded

·
Registered
601 Posts
or you could indeed make 'em look christmassy with snow bases (and maybe even get yourself a terminator commander/librarian with santa's hat?)
Tbh I don't really see what's wrong with a christmas themed army. It can make very cool conversions and you could even make a diorama of your army marching through a snowy landscape when it's christmas!

I think you really should go on with this scheme!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with LTP, the one in your avatar looks better with less colours. I'd probably not advise a halved or quartered scheme though, they are quite hard to pull off, and if you get teh shakes it might be a bit disheartening to start off with.

Is there any fluff for these guys? Have you thought about looking at pictures of real fireflies to get colour inspiration?
I haven't really thought off any fluff, but i'll think of something apropriate.

I can explain u the name: Im into car tuning and my "show"car is Called Firefly (because the color name is Fire Red).
So i really like red and thought that Fireflies would be a cool chaptername. For the colors I didn't really look at pictures of Fireflies, abvious it we be red with a extra color, i found that the bright green we be a good contrast.
So i stuck with it.
The yellow is a substitute for the gold, because gold would be messing the colors up.

so here are some pictures that i took of my "test subjects" keep in mind that they are not finished:

i know i'm not the best painter, but c&c's are always welcome.

Greetz Fireflies

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely bright and colourful. They seem a bit too busy, but that may be because they haven't been washed. I'm not sure about they grey/blue on the bolter and chainsword...seems out of place.
I'm nog sure on what to do with the weapons, i like the blue in combination with the silver thats is supposed to get their it makes them stand out and be easy recognised in gametime. Could't really think about an other color i guess.. because it blend in to much with the marine

·
Registered
723 Posts
mhmm.. normally a good advice is to pick one basic colour. use some alterations of it and maybe one secondary colour for details... use more colours or brightly contrasting elements and your model ends up looking like some orc freebooter. i can't exactly put my finger on it, but your choice of colours is somewhat disturbing to my eye. maybe shade them down to some darker version.. but it's hard to tell.

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
I like the choice of colours, but I don't really enjoy the vividness of them. But thats a personal thing. I would personally have them darker, but they look good all the same +Rep

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The vividness will wear of a bit when i'm done with them. First i'll repaint them and when i like it they will get a dark wash over them or something like that. Just have to see how to do that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got 2 new pieces to show.. these i painted before i had shakey hands.. The Grey Knight Terminator is going to be my Termi Squad Sergeant, I liked the way its different than the others and the Techmarine (yes its an old model:)) is also ready to be used in my new scheme

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
its a good solid scheme but a few things at leats from my POV

keep em bright if you want not a problem there at all just add some definition to it thats all also when you can decide on a color for a the gun just use black it goes with anything

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got soem Fluff on my Army

Chapter Fireflies:

As one of the smaller Chapters the Fireflies were ordered by the Emperor to guard the border of The Veiled Region against the invading Hive Fleet Leviathan.
Knowing that it would be an impossible task to stop such an Hive Fleet.
Leaving their home planet empty and unguarded they took their whole Armada to the border of The Veiled Region. Once they Reached Gryphonne IV they have put their battleship “the Glowing Star” and its armada in orbit around the Forge World Gryphonne IV. Home of the legendary Adeptus Titanicus: The War Gryphons.
Most of the battles are on the surface of Gryphonne IV fighting in the dense cityscape using the narrow streets to their advantage.
The Adeptus Mechanicus planet Tesla Prime, evacuated and halfly Tyrannoformed is also an frequent battleground.

Chapter: Fireflies
Homeplanet: Coastal IV
Colorscheme: Blood Red, “Glow in the Dark” Green and Sunburst Yellow

HQ
Captain “Pyra”
Chaplain “Brother Crenax”
Command Squad “Raikan”
Techmarine “Prometeus”

Elites
Veteran Squad “Tharsis”
Dreadnought “Impending Doom”
Terminator Assault Squad “Elusia”

Troops
Tactical Squad “Arotha”
Tactical Squad “Vulcron”
Scout Squad “Illustris”

Fast Attack
Assault Squad “Hadex”
Land Speeder “Spirit of Fire”
Bike Squadron “Haze”

Heavy Support
Land Raider “Inferno”
Whirlwind “Hail of Fire”

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Guys,

got a few pieces again to show u.

Dreadnought "Impending Doom"
-most basic colors done.
-sarcophagus need to be done
-the powerfist and flamer aren't finished yet
-some detailling need to be done, but i don't have the right paint for it at the moment.

Landraider "Inferno"
-got the basics done for the raider
-weapons and such are still on hold untill i figure out what to use (Standard pattern or Helios pattern)
-some detailling need to be done, but i don't have the right paint for it at the moment.

Scout Squad "Illustris"
these are done except for basing it properly.
this is the max details i'm getting out of my shakey hands, so its not the best out here on the forum but its oke with my standards.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts