Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Do you think space marines should be as powerfull as background

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think that space marines and especially terminators should cost more but be as amazing as they are in stories for although it would suffer teething problems it would sure make them more interesting and a more potent force=]

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Look up Movie Marines ala WD 300... an unofficial version of Marines where they are 150pts a model at WS5 BS5 Str6 T6 W3 I5 A4 LD10 with Assualt 4 Bolters and CCW that have Rending..

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
i'm with bishop, if you want to do it, use those rules, otherwise the codices are fine, they let you field armies, rather than squads, of marines.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol meh well not that powerfull obviously but closer to their background, obviously 100 men to one space marine doesnt sound to realistic but you know what I mean=]

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
By there background they ARE that powerfull. In "Warriors of Ultramar" Captain Ventris helps a common man get his truck unstuck by lifting the back of a fully loaded truck out of the hole that it was stuck in and putting it back on a road. In the Space Wolf series of books Ragnar is described often as jumping into groups of humans and using his bulk and power armor to crush humans.

The Iron Snakes books depicts a combat squad cleansing an entire village of 200-400 cultists.

It should be nie impossible for a regular human to take out a marine in anything less than 10 on 1 combat.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Marines power

I think that at least terminators should become more powerful they are depicted as nigh impossible to kill thanks to their armor i know they used to be 800points a squad but tbh that the way they should be, greatest warriors of the Imperium deserve to be powerful=D or at least harder to kill than they are at the moment

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and by the way could I have a link to a website with the issue 300 rules=] I lost mine some time ago lol

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
I dont have a link to any website that I know of.. They were initially listed in White Dwarf 300 if I remeber right.. I would google "movie marines" or "300 marines". If you have Armybuilder v3.1 you can get the Movie Marines download from AB40K.org.

Some old rules for terminator armor is you roll for 3+ on 2D6.. you had to roll double 1s to fail your armor save

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol ok thanks I'll download army builder If I can find it but yeah double 1's I mean pretty hard to kill one aye?

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
but that was back in the day when the strength of a weapon mofidief the save, so its not as amazing as it sounds, still awesome tho.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think marines should be slightly more powerful, but as a SM player super-marines would mean i could only field maybe one squad, that's very boring and rubbish.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I most definitely agree. I've been reading warrior brood and theres a treminator in that and he was able to hold back masses of tyranids whilest his team get in the thunder hawk. I really think terminator should give strength and toughness bonuses just beacuse the shear bulk of the armour in my opinion terminators aren;t done justice in the table top game compared to what you read in books.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Forget what the novels say, if they were 100 times a man, for instance a Conscript they would be 400 points each, or 600 points each if referring to a Guardsman.There are times (too many) when the Gaunt's Ghosts were ridiculously overpowered. If you want more powerful SM there's GK or have armies with pimped out Veterans etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Forget what the novels say, if they were 100 times a man, for instance a Conscript they would be 400 points each, or 600 points each if referring to a Guardsman.There are times (too many) when the Gaunt's Ghosts were ridiculously overpowered. If you want more powerful SM there's GK or have armies with pimped out Veterans etc.
Or playing a godzilla tyranid list and having marines as "count as..." :suicide:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well say they were simply more powerful so they were closer to their background, terminators definatly need a massive boost, the dark angels terminator squad defeated an entire planet of nids, not really possible in the current rules, obviously not that powerful but surely more powerful.

·
Registered
811 Posts
terminators should at least have toughness 5 so should space marine HQ's, Elites could be better than they currently are, or have access to more skills than the current 3. lastly, Dreadnoughts need to actually be fearsome. they could be considered Monsterous creatures with armor and invulnerable saves.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
I personally always thought that "Power Armor" and "Terminator Armor" should up a models stats in the same way that Tau Stealth Suits and Crisis Suits do. Lets face it.. terminator armor has gotten the shaft in recent codexes.. Terminator armor used to be the shizznit. Heck they talk in fluff books about entire buildings collapsing on a model in terminator armor and they just get up as if nothing happened. Another reference has a Titan accidentally stepping on one and when it raises its foot find the Terminator just made a huge indention in the ground and the guy gets up just fine.

Power Armor gives +1 Str and +1 Toughness to a max of 5 on each.. Space Marines in Power Armor should be upped in cost by 6pts a piece (per creature design rules for point cost).

Terminator Armor gives +2 Str and +2 Toughness to a max of 6 on eachand Terminators with a Power Fist strike in Init order as Power Fists were inititially designed to be weilded by models in terminator armor.. Space Marine Terminators and Terminator armor upgrade should be increased by 17pts per model..

So now you have scouts out there in their skimpy un powered carapace armor, Space Marines in their powered Power Armor, and Terminators terrorizing in their Terminator Armor.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To frozen orb armored space marines are supposed to be worth 10 armed guardsmen so thats not quite 600 points but its still excessive yes=] I think GW should either release some fluff on why space marines aren't what they used to be or up them even ever so slightly=]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts