Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my local FLGS in Shanghai to pick up a delivery one late night a bit more than a week ago. I got to look at new Eldar models and plasma obliterator before they were on the shelf so that was neat. Those plasma obliterators sold out on pre orders before they even got to the shelf so I never saw them again. But the point was that he told me that Codex:Space Marine is the next "main" army book on update and there will be some major changes. Of course I asked what about Dark Angels? He said not this year.
How valid his word is? I would believe it, he has some 10 years experience with GW and in China thats a long time since the hobby just started popping up here in last 4 years.
So expect Codex Space Marines next.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Great all bolters are going to be strength D weapons now. Chaos will get a large flaming red dildo to shove up their asses. Thank GW.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Great all bolters are going to be strength D weapons now. Chaos will get a large flaming red dildo to shove up their asses. Thank GW.
Space Marines get a Marine in a Centurion in a Dreadknight in a Knight in a Warlord chassis, nested one inside the other all the way up, with AV 14 all around and 20 hull points and strength D weapons, strength D stomps, and strength D melee attacks from every orifice for 500 points. And how dare you complain that it's imbalanced: GW released official rules for it!

Every marine biker gets a heavy weapon, and drop pods can land on units to deal a Strength D large blast template on whatever they hit. Grav weapons are now resolved by dropping the mini hit by them from table height to floor height, and if they break, they die, no saves allowed. Gravity speaks! Every HQ choice comes with a free Vortex Grenade, and Chapter Masters gained another wound and attack. All Marine heavy weapons can buy "Cognis" for +1 point.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Maybe Space Marines will appear pretty fine from appearances but on the tabletop turn out to be really really good at playing the mission.

Y'know, kinda like how they are now.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Space Marines get a Marine in a Centurion in a Dreadknight in a Knight in a Warlord chassis, nested one inside the other all the way up, with AV 14 all around and 20 hull points and strength D weapons, strength D stomps, and strength D melee attacks from every orifice for 500 points. And how dare you complain that it's imbalanced: GW released official rules for it!

Every marine biker gets a heavy weapon, and drop pods can land on units to deal a Strength D large blast template on whatever they hit. Grav weapons are now resolved by dropping the mini hit by them from table height to floor height, and if they break, they die, no saves allowed. Gravity speaks! Every HQ choice comes with a free Vortex Grenade, and Chapter Masters gained another wound and attack. All Marine heavy weapons can buy "Cognis" for +1 point.

Stop giving GW ideas on how to "improve" the space marines armies even more. Except for Dark Angels they get a red flaming dildo as well.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Someone else get raped by eldar today hmm?

I sure did...
Not yet I am sure my raping is coming though as I go to play in about an hour with two eldar players in the group I am sure the eldar butt raping is coming.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Been in the hobby for 2 years... I have finally realized that power creep is real.
Eldar have stayed at the top since their 6th edition Codex came out, Necrons are arguably better than Harlequins and certainly better than Khorne Daemonkin and Skitarii, Astra Militarum are fairly solidly beneath 6th ed Eldar, Space Marines and Tau, Leafblower and Razorwolves stayed at the top of 5th through the release of Tyranids and Blood Angels, and back in 6th/7th ed, Tyranids with Rising Leviathan are solidly above Orks, Grey Knights and Dark Eldar, so I think you're talking out of your ass here.

Codex Creep is a pile of crap that people cherry-pick the best codexes to support, no matter when those codexes were released or what came before or after them.

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Spacemarines to be updated eh, will me gets terminator command squad back? Me thinks not, me not waiting with bated breath!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
It's a pain in the arse when you know that some armies can reliably hand your arse to you every game, barring luck.

However, there's a certain freedom to it too. If you know your opponent is a WAAC person you have two choices:

a) pack up and leave. No ones making you stay.

b) have fun with it. Treat it as a trial by fire for your army. Be like "ok, this is like the battle of Thermopylae, let's just see how long I can hold of the endless advance of a superior foe." Sure if your opponent's an arse it can be annoying and if they just keep rubbing your face in it then I wouldn't play them again because you aren't having fun.

The problem I have is that everyone wants to cry "this army is over-powered, used only by WAAC folk" is actually just saying "I don't like it because I want to win." And sure winning is fun, but if the only fun you can derive from a game with a rich back-story, an enjoyable artistic element, and a pretty decent community, is from winning you might find you are the larvae form of a WAAC-player, because that's the only way you can have fun.

Sure it weights the game in some army's favour, and yes you can bet against yourself in certain match-ups. But you know what I say? Let the WAAC players smash themselves against one another. I'll be over hear playing the guy who brought an army of 12 deft dreads and 6 kills kans for a laugh. Or the Eldar player who has a nice fluffy army they've had since 4th ed because they like the idea of space elves and now, because everyone's winging about WAAC people playing Eldar, they can't get an opponent for the army they love.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
:goodpost:

Or the Eldar player who has a nice fluffy army they've had since 4th ed because they like the idea of space elves and now, because everyone's winging about WAAC people playing Eldar, they can't get an opponent for the army they love.
While I agree with basically everything you said, I do think you've touched upon a common misconception that 'fluffy' and 'competitive' are mutually exclusive.

They ain't.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
They, and they alone, are the problem. You don't -have- to spam anything.

Interested to see how they shake up Marines. Doesn't seem to me like they need a new book.
I imagine the shake up would just be moving Chapter Tactics over to a more Decurion/Formation styled thing. Otherwise I don't see much else changing, certainly not enough to justify the cost of a new book. I'm probably wrong though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts