Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a match friday for my local hobby shop and it's against a tyranid horde literally he is running with 3 30x termagaunt squads with fleshborers and 5 tervigons how do I stop this horde I just don't seem to have enough bullets and promethium.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How many points?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Vindicators in multiples would be a good start, with the sort of numbers hes talking your not gonna miss :) possibly a plasma command squad in a razorback to shift the tervigons too, other than that mate we need a points limit.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Right, if their taking swarms you want to take two tactical squads with heavy bolters and flamers as your troops, you may want more but Id go with dev squads, either take dakka preds or mass dev squads with heavy bolters then an assault squad to mop up.

If you have any points left over consider taking a razorback or two with assault cannon or heavy bolter for the flamer combat squads.
Hope this helps. :)

CS

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
3 baal preds with flamer sponsons ... outflank and destroy ... then take some furioso dreads with talons and drop pods once they get into CC with the terms they are dead. ALL OF THEM.

Here is a quick list I put together
dante
2X Sang. Guard
10 DC 9 W/PW 1 W/PF
DC dread W/talons and DP
2X Furioso Dreads W/ DP and one W/ Talons
2X Baal preds with Flamestorm Cannons and Heavy flamers
comes to 1745 and you can adjust somethings as needed I used BA as that is what your army is in your profile.

·
Registered
114 Posts
use fearless wounds to kill the tervigons. Multi assault the tervi with 2 or so units of gaunts with any melee orriented squad and force it, and the units or gaunts to take truck loads of fearless wounds. 1 unit of death company, or assault termi's with claws or any other unit with high A, that will cause plenty of wounds and take very few in return can in a sinle turn wipe out the tervigon and probably do a fair job at wiping out 2 big units of gaunts if they are within 6 when the tervi dies.

Wolf lord on TW with runic armor, frost weapon and saga of the warrior born is mad fun vs a list like that :D

·
Registered
208 Posts
You'd be lucky to get an assault on a tervigon - they ought to be shielded with pretty upgraded gaunts...

counterattacking poison 4+ gaunts can really break assaulting marine groups - ok, they'll take losses, but if they kill half of you, its worth it (pretty likely from assaulting 30 gaunts - with the upgrades thats around 15 saves to make). With 5 tervi's i'd be suprised if some werent carrying catalyst, so about 1/2 of those fearless losses wouldnt be happening. Your big assault team just got stuck into melee with gaunts that can beat them down eventually, but take a long time dying. pretty good use for 150 points worth of gaunts.

The way to beat this list is in shooting. Tervigon heavy lists spend a lot of points on termagaunts and a few slow relatively ineffective MC's.
Just tank up (landraider or two, rhinos/razorbacks, something artillery based), and use big templates (irrelevant of strength, but s6+ is good) to do damage to the swarm. Focus your fire on anything that stands a chance of breaking tanks... hive guard, zoans, tyrannofex, and trygons spring to mind. A land raider with flamers is your friend here, along with one with lots of lascannons on it to kill the big stuff quickly.
Tervigon only has a 3+ save when it comes to it, so throw some wounds its way and they'll break pretty quickly - its reliant on T6 to keep it alive, so throw high str stuff its way. Power weapons if things are somehow getting desperate, but if you get out of your tanks to kill something like that, write that squad off - it'll get mobbed by the bored termagaunts.

Focusing your fire from inside your tanks until the anti-tank is gone is the way to win this.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
best thing you can do (which I have done several times) take three dreads and walk them into cc with the guants their whimpy S3 will never be able to hurt your dread so you will basically be asking the tervigons to assault...overall run an all meched list so the guants with fb don't bring you down in enmassed shooting

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you want to win at all costs and play the most boring game of your life, sit in some tanks and take a few shots at them, but even still this tactic may loose since marrines tend to lack the overall shots vs horde. If you want a fun game, with piles and piles of models removed from the board, run an assault army with psy deffence.

LRR full of high A models and a lib or rune priest x2. If its vanila marrines you will struggle more since tac squads will only get their 1 attack, but BA or wolves with their extra CC wep and CA or FC will have a much easier time.

Commence the slaughter, even if you eventually loose the game, at least you will go away happy and if you win, all the better. If you spend 2 hours sitting inside some tanks rolling 5-10 dice /turn and eventually loose because the gaunts mobbed an objective and contested yours, you will hate life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts