Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow heretics!

So, me and my friend were talking the other day and we were commenting on the fact that they are usually taken at the start/middle of puberty. At some point, one of us made a comment about the natural development of guys during the usual recruitment age. Now, assuming that that basic physiological stuff that happens to boys in puberty still happens in the 40k universe, does that mean some space marines are 'under-developed'? As in, do some space marines have pre-pubescent range voices, or are basically bald?

Just and interesting thought and I was wondering if anyone had any answers :p

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I see your point but i think they are taken at that point so that the accelerated physical development that begins at puberty can be accelerated and enhanced. I would suspect that their voices would be deeper and heavier than normal human voices because of the larger sise of all the parts of the body that contribute to voice tone and depth. I cannot picture a 7 foot superman with michael jacksons voice. 'OW' /end crotch grab. I think the lack of hair is part of their enhancements. I think excessive bodyhair might cause a problem with some of the interfaces in astartes armor.(Speculation)

·
Banned
7,889 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
It takes many years for a applicants to become Space marines. Usually they're around 18-20 before receiving their final implant, the black carapace.

Though I guess there are some 18-20 year olds that may not have had their voices dropped, but that's probably remedied by 1. They only take the meanest, baddest 12-14 year olds in the first place (this means they were probably early devleopers, anyway) and the cocktail of drugs and their extra organs designed for increased growth probably do the rest.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
It is said that part of the transformation uses hormone treatments. If you dump enough testosterone into a teenage boy, you accelerate puberty including the physical changes to the larynx and vocal chords. You also very likely cause rage and psychopathic behavior as well as sterility; all traits common in Space Marines.

But you could probably find a few green, soft-voiced Guardsmen. The recruitment/conscription age on some worlds is fairly young.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Currently reading The Emperor's Finest, where Commissar Cain meets SM from the Reclaimers Chapter. Cain describes the voices of the Reclaimers SM as "impossibly deep, rich, and resonant." If you can take them as representative, then SM probably sound like James Earl Jones on steroids.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I see your point but i think they are taken at that point so that the accelerated physical development that begins at puberty can be accelerated and enhanced. I would suspect that their voices would be deeper and heavier than normal human voices because of the larger sise of all the parts of the body that contribute to voice tone and depth. I cannot picture a 7 foot superman with michael jacksons voice. 'OW' /end crotch grab. I think the lack of hair is part of their enhancements. I think excessive bodyhair might cause a problem with some of the interfaces in astartes armor.(Speculation)
I could see Blood Angels and Necrons doing the Thriller.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts