Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering does anyone know of a site that shows the Squad markings for Space Marines i can't find my old codex and the new one doesn't state them all.

Also my Imperial Fists are from the Second company and according to the codex that means their rims should be gold, do you think this will look poor considering space marines are yellow?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The Imperial Fists generally display their company color on their chest armour's decoration-- the eagle, for example, is green for the Fourth Company. In the case of the Second Company, you might just paint the eagle the same color as the rest of the armour. Gold on yellow usually looks pretty bad.

Squad markings are ALWAYS on the right shoulder pad. Tactical Squads display an arrow, Assault Squads display an X, and Devastator Squads display a lambda (which is an upside down V.) Veterans display the Crux Terminatus on the left shoulder pad in the case of Terminator armour, and the right on power armour where their squad marking would be. All Astartes display a squad number marking, either on a greave, over the squad badge, or on their helm. It depends on the practices of the Chapter, really. In the case of the Imperial Fists, the marking is usually on the squad marking (so there'll be a yellow "I" over the arrow for the 1st Tactical Squad.)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Are you sure about the equal chest eagle part? i thought Imperial Fists where codex except for the red line down the Veteran Sergeants helm. I'm just going from what the white dwarf used to say and the current codex which denotes the second company as having Golden shoulder trims.

I was going to do it like this

Golden trim
Yellow Inner pad
Black squad marking, on the opposite side the traditional black imperial fist badge.

Not sure about the chest eagle though, if its as you say it will have to be golden to.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose i could make it easier on myself by making them 5th company, but the reason i picked the second is cause the Dreadnaught was originally the captain of the 2nd company until he fell in battle and was entombed in the dreadnaught.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
The Codex doesn't state that the company colors are displayed on the shoulder pads. There are a number of acceptable places-- the helmet crest, the right greave, one or both shoulder pads, or the chest eagle, to name a few. The Imperial Fists and their successors generally display the company color on the chest eagle.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Page 68 of the space marine codex shows you how they denote what company they belong to by the colour of the shoulder pad trim, the only deviation from the codex by the imperial fists i've found is about their vet sergeants.

·
Registered
905 Posts
It really depends on what chapter it is. The ultramarines change the colour of the shoulder pad, but i am really certain that the Imperial Fists change their chest insignia.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)

·
Registered
905 Posts
it looks pretty solid, but im sure that the chest insignia HAS to vary if your staying with the strict rules of the Fists. Ive seen many ppl change the trim to fit the chest eagle.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, well i like the idea of the eagle staying red and only the trim changing. Since i will be using the metal GW shoulder pads for each squads markings and chapter markings if i also paint the eagle black as well it may come across as to black and yellow and i like to have atleast three definite colours on models even if i was painting black templars i would try fit another in :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Page 68 of the space marine codex shows you how they denote what company they belong to by the colour of the shoulder pad trim, the only deviation from the codex by the imperial fists i've found is about their vet sergeants.
No, it doesn't. It shows that the Ultramarines use the shoulder trim to denote the company. That doesn't mean that the CODEX says that company markings HAVE to go on shoulder trim.

When the new Codex:SM was released in 2004, WD 299 (UK, don't know what this is in US editions) ran a guide to creating your own chapter. The info was partly that in Codex: SM and, I'm certain (but can't prove, as I don't have it) from Index Astartes. Anyway, there it defined the places codex chapters showed their company colour as being: 1 shoulder trim; 2 left kneepad; 3 helmet stripe; 4 helmet (all over); 5 chest eagle.

The implication is clear that any of these can be used by a codex chapter without in any way deviating from the codex. Just because the Ultramarines use the first option doesn't mean any of the others are any less codex.

(edit: - sorry kinda missed some of this... are you going 5th company then? I had a suggestion if you were still going 2nd)

I agree that gold on yellow might look weird however - one reason I've never finished painting my small Imperial Fists force is that I've not yet picked a satisfactory contrasting colour. Maybe the best thing would be to pick a colour that contrasts, paint wherever you decide to put the company colour in that (red, black or green say), then stick the gold on top of that?

Return of the
!

·
Registered
905 Posts
*GASP* Red orc you must be so happy to have your Cyclops back!!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
*GASP* Red orc you must be so happy to have your Cyclops back!!
Dude, that's very sweet of you to notice, and you are not wrong.

I didn't know what he was for when I first started using him, assumed the joke would wear off pretty quickly, or that someone would say 'enough of the cyclops already' after a couple of days... and then when he was gone, I really really missed the little guy.

And now, all thanks to Viscount Vash, he's back.

Mind you, I'm not sure he's been looking after himself while he's been away. He's ... subtly changed. And learned different expressions. But, he's back so I am happy and don't have to think of a new phrase referencing a cyclops every time I post (which was getting hard).

PS sorry Words of Truth for diverting your post!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry, but i was only going off the latest codex, so you can see why i consider codex chapters using only the shoulder trim to denote the chapter. :smile: I was going purely off what the codex showed.

I want to keep my Imperial Fists as close to the codex as possible aside from their traits, So far using the new basecoat paints i can finally get a smooth yellow armour.

I was going for 2nd company yeah but from what people said and doing some test painting it didn't work well, and definately wouldn't look very good when using the metal shoulder pads, so i went with-

Black shoulder trim that denotes the 5th company, as well as black squad markings on yellow and the same for the chapter badge, then picking the red chest eagle since every picture i have seen of imperial fists they have had red chest eagles.

And as you pointed out Red orc Ultramarines pick the shoulder trim as their company markings and whats more codex than the ultramarines? :smile: Originally i didn't ask for what ways they can show their companies just what people thought of the colours
:smile:

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Oh yeah, I quite see that if you're taking the info from Codex: SM you might be led to believe that Roboute Guilleman wrote ('will write?') in Codex Astartes that space marines should denote their company by the colour of their shoulder trim. But he won't. Fact is Ultramarines are just an example. But if you want to do it like that, I know of no reason why not (it seems that it's not 'official' that the Imperial Fists always use chest eagles). You just don't have to do it like that. Doesn't make it any less in line with the Codex Astartes to do chest eagle or my personal favourite, helmet. I think partly this has been about a few us of asuming that you thought it was necessary to denote company by shoulder trim for a Codex chapter, when it isn't.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Heh well aside from the fact imperial fists are great shots and because of their past will never willfully leave a battlefield till its won, they are for all intent and purposes, codex in the way they organise their companies and the way they fight.

For example, a chapter using two assault weapons in a unit is by definition not codex, but imperial fists are just good shots and stoic which has nothing to do with the codex its just how they act, if you see what i mean lol trying hard to say it correctly
:smile:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Regarding the chest eagle, why don't you just basecoat it bronze, and then drybrush or do a wash of gold, to make it stand out more and look less shiny.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
@ Words of Truth: sorry, yes; with you: stick. Wrong end. Gotten hold. Realised.

And all that.

I quite like the way it's justified though. That kind of "Well we really like chapter 46, so we read it twice... but we've never bothered about chapter 14" idea.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts