Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still pretty confused about this.

can you take a master, chaplain and libraian in a command squad and use it as a single HQ squad. So does it count as one HQ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes.
The master takes a command squad, and the chaplain and librarian are attatched to it. All counts as 1 HQ choice.
None of them can detatch from the squad however.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes you can.

The problem is you will have a lot of points stuck in one squad. Almost 300 for the trio Without wargear, then however many points for the squad they must have.

Needless to say if you ever do something like this it will only be 2 of them and one of them(Or both) should be the lower point version as it is more of being backup to the Main HQ character.

I would say a Chaplain backing up a Librarian packing a Force Weapon and Familiar for re-rolls to hit at I6 would be a good blend. Plus you can give the whole squad Furious Charge so if you charge the Libby attacks at I7 and +1 Strength. Great for fighting Races/Characters with Hi Initiative.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Of course, in theory at least this means you can field six HQ choices, as you can take 2 commanders, each with a command squad with attached chaplain and librarian. Atrum's right though, it's a lot of points, especially if you give the command squads the works (apothecary, champion, standard bearer).

If you're ever in the situation of finding you need to spend a few hundred points (maybe you're desperately trying to get up to apocalypse levels for instance) it might be worth thinking about. In fact, two maxed-out command squads with three characters each, bunged into Crusaders, is going to come to about 1,500pts - half way to apocalypse already.

Hmmm, why didn't I think of that sooner?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THATS SWEET!!!

dude 6 HQ character dude thats blown my mind :wacko:

btw i have no problem getting to apocolypse withmy HQ being a catpain with bolt pistol and combat weapon which is an amazing 62pts. I have over 4000pts of space marines:so_happy:

one more thing does this include terminator command squads

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Aye, good question.

Dunno, is the short answer. Doesn't say 'yes' in the rules, but doesn't specifically say 'no' either.

In the section just below that on p27 (had to go and fetch me codex in the end), on 'drop pod assaults', it refers to 'command squads and terminator squads'... you could reasonably claim that refered not just to 'command squads as listed under that name' and 'terminator squads as listed under that name' but also 'terminator command squads' and 'terminator assault squads'.

By the same logic 'command squads' in the section on 'Space Marine characters' could be taken as refering to terminator command squads as well... I'd be prepared for an argument, though.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was thinking and realized something. I proceeded to re-read the rule to make sure I was right.

"Librarians and Chaplains may be attached to another character's Command Squad. Only one character of a given type may be attached to a single Command squad."

So obviously a Commander can't be attached.

But what I realized was correct.

I can have a Squad lead by a Librarian being back up by . . . another Librarian.

Only one type may be attached but it doesn't say that they couldn't be attached if it's the same as the Leading character :biggrin:.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
I was thinking and realized something. I proceeded to re-read the rule to make sure I was right.

"Librarians and Chaplains may be attached to another character's Command Squad. Only one character of a given type may be attached to a single Command squad."

So obviously a Commander can't be attached.

But what I realized was correct.

I can have a Squad lead by a Librarian being back up by . . . another Librarian.

Only one type may be attached but it doesn't say that they couldn't be attached if it's the same as the Leading character :biggrin:.
*Slap*

If you were near me I would beat you with my BGB. You know that wasnt intended. Quite trying to rules lawyer your way into allowing it.:eek:k:

·
Registered
104 Posts
*rubs cheek* Hey! That hurt!

And how do you know if that wasn't Intended?

It never says the the Leading character has to be a Commander if you want to attach a Librarian or Chaplain to the Character.

I say it's perfectly plausible for something like that to happen.

Say that the Chapter is more devoted to the Faith of the Imperium then other chapters.

Then it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that Chaplains tend to take the Leading role in battle instead of Commanders. So you could have the Chapter's Master of Sanctity being followed by a Company's Reclusiarch Commander.

Or for the Librarians. You could say an Epistolary has taken a new Codicier under his wing and has brought him into battle to see how he fairs when fighting against the Xeno's Psychic onslaught.

I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned that One type of Character can't be attached if it's the same as the Leading Character if they didn't want that happening.

I will firmly believe this is to be allowed unless they make an FAQ about it or if they take it out for the new codex in two years.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
heh, i had an awesome idea. a termie command squad w 2 termie librarians. an extra d3 attacks for any 2 models (one Might of the Heroes from each librarian). 2 assault cannons. thats a lot of shots and a lot of close combat ouchness. 2 force weapons (if you dont use the power) and 8 powerfists and 2 chain fists. man thats going to be sore in the morning

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
*rubs cheek* Hey! That hurt!

And how do you know if that wasn't Intended?

It never says the the Leading character has to be a Commander if you want to attach a Librarian or Chaplain to the Character.

I say it's perfectly plausible for something like that to happen.

Say that the Chapter is more devoted to the Faith of the Imperium then other chapters.

Then it wouldn't be much of a stretch to say that Chaplains tend to take the Leading role in battle instead of Commanders. So you could have the Chapter's Master of Sanctity being followed by a Company's Reclusiarch Commander.

Or for the Librarians. You could say an Epistolary has taken a new Codicier under his wing and has brought him into battle to see how he fairs when fighting against the Xeno's Psychic onslaught.

I'm pretty sure they would have mentioned that One type of Character can't be attached if it's the same as the Leading Character if they didn't want that happening.

I will firmly believe this is to be allowed unless they make an FAQ about it or if they take it out for the new codex in two years.
As they said... only one type of character may be ATTACHED to a squad. Attached as I read in this is "joined during unit creation". Ergo you couldnt build the squad with 2 Libbys in it. Now as to joining after deployment or even during deployment by buying a second Libby HQ choice and joining that I believe is legal and follows what your thinking. Any attempt to try and put 2 of the same type during creation theoretically allowing 4 of a character type in a single FOC is rules lawyering to power game. Thats a no no in my book. Dont fall to the dark side! Stay good Atrum, stay good.

·
Registered
104 Posts
:biggrin: My first real controversy lol.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Lets look at this.

Space Marine Commanders

Rule 1. All may operate independantly JOINING and leaving units as desribed in "BGB" rules for characters.

Rule 2. All may lead a Command Squad. Character and unit are a sinlge HQ choice. blah blah blah standard rules for joining and such.

Rule 3. Libbys and Chappies may be ATTACHED to another characters command squad. Only one character of a given type may be ATTACHED to a single command squad. The ATTACHED character, the squad, and the character leading it are a single HQ choice. The ATTACHED character is a memebr of the unit and may not leave it.

So lets see. ATTACHED characters may not leave units they are ATTACHED to but JOINED characters may JOIN and LEAVE at will. ATTACHED characters count as part of the HQ choice where as JOINED characters are their own seperate choice be it HQ or Elites..

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
you just fully made my point for me, you can have two IC join a unit. you said only libbies and chappy's can attach, and only one of each can ATTACH. therefore 1 libby can ATTACH and one can JOIN, giving you two of the same type, but only one being ATTACHED

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ok, lets do some copy/pasteing of the rules.

First of all you forgot something.

It doesn't just say "Space Marine Commanders" before stating those rules.

It says,

"Space Marine Commanders, Librarians and Chaplains can be used in one of three ways."

I'm going to now type out the rules and highlight what you need to pay attention too.

SPACE MARINE CHARACTERS

Space Marine Commanders, Librarians and Chaplains can be used in one of three ways. (All three of these are Characters.)

1. All may operate independently, joining and leaving units as described in the Warhammer 40,000 rules for Characters.

2. All may lead a Command Squad. Character and unit are a single HQ choice. yata yata

3. Librarians and Chaplains may be attached to another character's Command squad.

Only one character of a given type may be attached to a single Command squad. The attached character, the squad, and the character leading it are a single HQ choice. The attached character is a member of the unit and may not leave it.

This means you can always attach both a Libby and Chappy to any Character's Command Squad not only to a Commander's Command squad.

The First character is Leading the squad the second and third are attached to the squad.

This means that the Character(Libby1) you chose as an HQ is Leading the command squad. The second character(Libby2) would be attached to the command squad.

If you continue to say otherwise I may have to slap you back lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ow, my pride lol.

Such a simple explanation compared to mine lol.

+1 Rep to Ordo lol.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
This means that the Character(Libby1) you chose as an HQ is Leading the command squad. The second character(Libby2) would be attached to the command squad.
This is the only part I have problem with. Now I aggree that you can purchase a second Libby as a second HQ choice and then join him to the first squad which is what Ordo also said. But as to ATTACHING during squad creation we completely disagree as it said that only a single character type could be attached to a squad. Now what your saying you could have 4 Libbys or 4 Chappys in a single FOC. This I call rules lawyering to power game. The same as those who say that Necrons get WBB against Lascannons. This is clearly not the intention of the rule and it was clearly their Intention to only allow a max of 2 per FOC at 1 per HQ slot.

Ordo I aggree with what you say. What Im trying to stop is the single FOC army with 4 Librarians running around. You can join as many characters to a squad that you want. You cannot attach a Librarian to a Librarian w/ Librarian command squad.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yes well nice to see a healthy debate spring from one of my threads.:eek:k:

Thanks for all of your posts I understand now and will make my regular opponent:biggrin: cry

1 - 20 of 53 Posts