Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been meaning to deepen my knowledge regarding the Space Marines, as it's been quite some time since I've done much reading up on them. Yesterday I purchased the Space Marines/Blood Angels/Space Wolves 5th edition codex's, and today I'm looking towards some of the novels.

Does anyone have any strong recommendations for some good reads? Was looking at getting the Ultramarines/Blood Angels/Space Wolves omnibus', but if there are ones with higher recommendations than I'll gladly check out those.

++Calon

·
Registered
142 Posts
Calon,

the omnibuses are a good starting point, but I would also like to recommend any of the "Space Marine Battle Series". These are; Rynn's World, Helsreach and the upcoming Hunt for Voldorius.

"Salamander" is also a nice read into the life of a Space Marine, as well as "brothers of the snake" (by Dan Abnett).

Good luck and enjoy:so_happy:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just finished the BA omnibus and the UM omnibus. I've also read the faith & fire book (SoB's) and the middle & last book of the soul drinkers. All of them were great. If you want I'd be happy to send them to you (or anyone else who's yet to read them) - PM me.

I've got Eisenhorn, grey knights and a stack of others to read yet. I'm about 1/3rd through Salamanders, which prompted me to make covert my army to them ;) I travel a good bit of the time so having the novels is a really easy way to stay immersed in the world. I don't recommend referring to the flight attendant as a servitor though... :laugh:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Salamanders is a very good read, and although it deals with a Traitor Legion, Soul Hunter is also a solid choice.

I'm currently waiting for Amazon to deliver Helsreach and Rynn's World, and Grey Knights is still on @#[email protected]^%@ backorder :angry:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recently finished off the Grey Knights ones, going to start on Ravenor soon. Thinking of starting the Space Marine Battle series from the previous recommendations :)

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
I agree by far, the most interesting space marine novel for me was Salamanders. If your a big Ultramarines fan you may like Graham McNeill's novels on Captain Uriel. If your not a Ultramarines fan I recommend a notion of caution as those books heavily praise Uriel and his chapter more than any other chapter written about in Black Library.

·
Registered
84 Posts
brothers of the snake is a damn good book, id also say hero of the space marines, althought its short stories they are good stories

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was going to pick up Brothers of the Snake, but, alas, my local bookstore doesn't have any in stock. Going to have to order it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eisenhorn was AWESOME ! Also if youre looking for something dark Dark Apostle, Disciple and Dark Creed are great too. Dark Apostle was my first book in the 40K universe and after that I was hooked.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm gonna tackle the Soul Drinkers Omnibus after I finish The Lost. I'll let you know if it's any good. I read the Grey Knights Omnibus, and I'd recommend that for now. Unlike specific Chapters, I think everyone can at least partially agree that Grey Knights are awesome, whether you like their weapons/armor, their philosophy/history, or their job/reputation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Grey Knight omnibus was quite good, thats for sure. Though, the imagery was found a little lacking compared to other novels. Anxious for my Brothers of the Snake to get here, though, after being held in such high regard.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eisenhorn was AWESOME ! Also if youre looking for something dark Dark Apostle, Disciple and Dark Creed are great too. Dark Apostle was my first book in the 40K universe and after that I was hooked.
Hence the name, I guess...:)

·
Registered
323 Posts
hammer of daemons or legion,2 of the best books i ever read

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Space wolf omnibus is a shocking read, par the first book
However it is a pretty good story and the detail on wolf culture is superb.

Well worth the cash just for that

Ravenor and Eisenhorn are both awesome bocks

You should check out the Black Library forums for more information on novels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts