Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yet another thought to pose you all.

And just a warning mini DEADPOOL spoilers.

Thoughout the movie one of the pivotal enemies is "Ajax" a mutant whos power is increased agility this along with a side effect with his forced awakening (plot point of movie) scorched his nerve ending aka he feels no pain. Thoughout the movie he suffers a lot of injuries mainly sword through the shoulder and stab through the leg. And more specifically multiple serious inpacts such as falling off a motorbike at high speeds.
These would certainly cause multiple broken ribs blunt force trauma and internal bruising.

So all of this caused me to ponder, how much damage can a space marine can take.

They can certainly take a lot of damage loss of limb and worse. But how much can they take before their bodies themselves fail. Much of a marines body is designed as redundant. Secondary hearts, lungs and even alternative systems to allow them to function even under stresses.

But even with their enhanced bodies there is only so much they can sustain. With tendons or muscles severed by damage the body, loses mobiltiy with internal damage internal bleeding and hemorrhaging organs fail and cause death or inhibition of function.

So what is this limit of a space marines endurance the point where the damage to his body prevents his function or causes death. Does anyone know what the maximum amount of damage a marine has suffered and survived or continued to operate at a meaningful level. Certain aspects can effect this primarily altering effects such as the "Black Rage".

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The can take as much damage as the plot requires :D

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Basically they need their brain (or at least the sus-an membrane to function) to survive.

Once in a sus-an induced coma, they seem more or less good indefinitely. Their flesh doesn't necrotize or anything even if they aren't able to breath.

Authors tend to forget about that handy organ, though.

We've seen Space Marines die when they get torn in half. Exactly how is a good question. Possibly blood loss? We know larraman cells aren't not infallible since sufficient and catastrophic damage can lead to wounds that don't clot instantly (The Emperor's Finest).

Also a Space Marine is killed when his lungs and hearts are removed (ending of The First Heretic).

In terms of immediate death, honestly I think nothing short of losing all lungs and heart should be the minimum to kill a marine. This isn't always supported by the fluff, but, hey, mots marines should fall into comas instead of dying, but that's the hand we've been delt.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The can take as much damage as the plot requires :D
Your not wrong.

But was more thinking along the line of impact damage, such as from mauls, falling or being crushed. Laraman cells take care of a lot of dismemberment or stabbing wounds.
But how much can the body sustain with lots of puncture or severance of limbs.

Or how much can a marine survive in regards to impact wounds from mauls or hammers or the like weapons which can ignore the armor and just pass a lot of the force into the body.

On a side note can marines survive a fall from orbit? Unaided by jump packs or the like. Primarchs particularly Vulkan have but hes a litte funky in his own note.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know that most of this book was retconned into nothingness but,

In the novel Spacemarine a marine is found whilst the main characters in the book are in the scout training. This marine had both arms & legs removed with a chainsword & then he was based in lead. the mouth was also sewn shut. He was in the sus-an coma but awoke when the scouts were in proximity to him. I do also remember that once he was evac'd from the planet this marine required servitors to perform the kidney functions for him.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Someone killed someone else, avoiding names for spoilers, he shoved two swords through the marines body, piercing all three lungs and both hearts, killing him instantly.

But, if we say a Space Marine has no armor on and is secured to a table, with no way to escape, how long would it take to punch him to death? It wouldn't take terribly long to kill a human, but a Space Marine? Even being hit by another Space Marine it would take a mighty long time.

I would say they are quite durable, but If you can pierce certain organs, decapitate, or give them a straight shot with a plasma/metla gun, they are toast.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Depends on the author really, and their own perspective on how much punishment an Astartes can endure. I have certainly seen a fair share of crap like Astartes being mercy-killed after losing a limb, something they usually don't even register most of the time when fighting, to shrugging off multiple heavy bolters fire like it's nothing.

What always troubled me is the fact how easily sometimes their chest gets shattered by xenos' guns/blades despite the fact their ribcage is supposed to be near-indestructible.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
What always troubled me is the fact how easily sometimes their chest gets shattered by xenos' guns/blades despite the fact their ribcage is supposed to be near-indestructible.
The ribcage does fuse into a hard case. But I figured that the ribcage is not significantly stronger than the rest of the marines reinforced bones.

So they're tough, but it you're not going to expect a marine's arm to resist, say, a chainsword or bolt round.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
I imagine that for all their strengths, they still need blood reaching the brain to stay alive so a large enough cluster of stab wounds will eventually take their toll. A severed limb for instance still removes a significant portion of the body's blood as well as preventing further blood flow in that direction. This can potentially cause further complications beyond the lost limb itself. And even stab wounds do restrict a lot of blood flow via whatever number of severed blood vessels. Fluff writers and authors can talk them up all they want but only so much of astartes lore is actually believable.

Blunt force trauma of sufficient strength would do it, even marines are not immune to the laws of physics (on a similar note Iron Man should have died dozens of times over in the Marvel movies by now) and there are still plenty of chemical options to consider. In Warriors of Ultramar a tyranid toxin caused Uriel's blood to begin clotting throughout his body and it took a full body blood transfusion to save his life.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts