Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Very simple list to write, just gotta get tactics down if you wanna play it ever.

For the White Scars? I call 'em Darkwings.

HQ: Captain - Space Marine Bike, Relic Blade, Bolt Pistol, Iron Halo, Frag & Krak Grenades
HQ: Captain - Space Marine Bike, Relic Blade, Bolt Pistol, Iron Halo, Frag & Krak Grenades

Command Squad (5) - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
2: Lightning Claws, Storm Shields, Meltaguns
1: Lightning Claw, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
1: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
1: Apothecary - Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon

Command Squad (5) - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
2: Lightning Claws, Storm Shields, Meltaguns
1: Lightning Claw, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
1: Thunder Hammer, Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol
1: Apothecary - Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon

TR: 9 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
A: 5 Bikes - 2 Meltaguns, 2 Bolt Pistols, 1 Sergeant
B: 4 Bikes - 3 Bolt Pistols, 1 Multi-Melta Attack Bike

TR: 9 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades
B: 4 Bikes - 3 Bolt Pistols, 1 Multi-Melta Attack Bike

TR: 5 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades

TR: 5 Space Marine Bikes Squad - Space Marine Bikes, Frag & Krak Grenades

-2000/2000-

How it works -

The two Command Squads act as a buffer between your army and the enemy's army. Literally, a fence as you move along, making sure the enemy has to either shoot your Command Squads dead or charge through 'em to get to your Troop Choices.

Meantime, you should be popping vehicles no problem, you have plenty of melta.

Infantry Hordes? You got your Command Squads that will should be able to eat up most units and you got A LOT of Twin-Linked Bolters. Just about the only thing you should have a lil' trouble against is a unit led by Ragnar or Logan or a new BA army chock-full-o-Feel-No-Pain.

Keep as one, don't be afraid of blast templates, you should get Cover Saves. Against a Mech IG list you will have trouble if you donno your target priorities, but if you do, it's pretty much a game of chase the tanks until you hit the tanks that need killing.

Your opponent got over-zealous and shot you too much before he wanted to charge you? Use Combat Tactics. Your opponent shot you with too much Armour Ignoring stuff? Use Combat Tactics. (Go to Ground - Yes you can with bikes - to Get a 3+ cover save, if you lose 2 guys in any of the Combat Squads (You should ALWAYS Combat Squad to maximize your potential firepower spread.) You can opt to use Combat Tactics to get out of the Voluntary Pin and voila, free 3+ Cover Save!)

Simple to read, like I said huh? Now putting it to actual practice and playing with it, now that's the hard part.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
i think two HQ squads and two Capts. is redundant.

for all the melta weaponry you have you could take He'Stan to make your melta weaponry more effective, bulk up/increase your Troop choices and throw in LS with MM/HF.

frankly, the list could even work as if you threw in some flame weaponry on our command squads to thing out hordes.

good hunting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So...are we missing that you have a ton of twin-linked bolters and somehow...Redunancy is bad?

Flamers aren't needed in the least, if 80 bolter shots a turn can't do anything, and add in the fact you can still Rapid Fire + Charge if you want, I think I'm fine?

Have faced Orks with this, its exactly that - Commands hunt what usually kills the rest of my army while shielding my army from being charged. Then bikes charge in with bolter firing and all a sudden the Orks measly Str 3 has to wound me on 6's?

Kinda awesome.

Vulkan is cool in more points, here he is just a slow model in a sea of speed. If you need twin-linked meltas that bad you are probably playing poorly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I don't get what you are saying but ok...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Malacalypse wasn't saying redundancy in-and-of-itself was bad, but in this particular case (your captain) it's not really necessary or helpful. The only reason you're really taking the captain isn't because he's particularly good or useful but that he makes bikes troops. other than that he's a mediocre-at-best CC HQ. So the second one isn't really a great investment, I'd drop him and some small 5 point thing somewhere and get a pair of MM/HF speeders. Other than that great list though, it's nice when someone actually knows what they're doing, makes my job easier.
Good Hunting,
Raptors8th

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks

Speeders are awesome compliment to the list, but sadly, you need a answer for CC, and having just 1 Command Hammer gives the opponent a easy unit to lead around and focus on.

By having two, you can cover the list up well and give the enemy a REAL bend in their choices -

Shoot the troop squads...And ignore the sledgehammers that are still coming for you...OR...Shoot the Commands, which have the potential to absorb A LOT of firepower.

The Captain(s) is(are) surely mediocre, but there's two to get the 2 Command Squads, about the only reason they're both in.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
So...are we missing that you have a ton of twin-linked bolters and somehow...Redunancy is bad?
just pointing out that a lot of bolters is not necessarily that great when you have cover saves and mech to deal with.

i'd rather have more Troops. and while we're at it TL bolters on bikes are pretty cool but the ability to auto hit with a flameris pretty amazing. add the ability to reroll to wound.

and you can do all that cheaper than the 2nd HQ choice, giving your a lot more options to take for your list.

Flamers aren't needed in the least, if 80 bolter shots a turn can't do anything, and add in the fact you can still Rapid Fire + Charge if you want, I think I'm fine?
again, cover issues. OK, you have meltas, but when you fire at a tank, you fire the unit at that tank. that means your bolters are firing and pinging off the tank so your melta(s). you may not even kill the tank, but if you do, the unit formerly in the tank gets to return fire at you.

i'd hate to end up in front of a unit of Fire Dragons, TSons, or anything with T5 with FNP...

Vulkan is cool in more points, here he is just a slow model in a sea of speed. If you need twin-linked meltas that bad you are probably playing poorly.
really? so having him in the army is some kind of weakness? i thought it was stacking the odds in your favor. :suicide:

that's the kind of redundancy i like: auto to hit, and rerolls to wound. in a game of luck (which 40K is, to an extent, since dice rolling is involved) making sure you have better luck is not a bad idea.

and i never said the list was bad. Raptors8th hit the nail on the head. the points on the 2nd Capt. and attack bike could be used to make it hit and therefore kill better.

if it works for you keep it. but an end all and be all list this isn't, since there's no such thing.

good hunting.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
or you could take a bike chaplain for about the same and re-roll hits on the charge which with bikes is what you want if you think cc is best. beware the hidden nob with power klaw when charging ork boyz still strenth 8 insta dead marine.

edit: ninja'd by the inquisitor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hm, well probably a obscure rule but didjooknow:

You can pop a Transport, and charge the occupants if they're in range.

And with how I described how to manuever the army...You should always get a save from Shooting, Cover or otherwise, unless it's Barrage which ignores your Armour and somehow...you couldn't shoot it down with your speed to get to it?

It comes up clearly, I've faced Colossus and the like...Just gotta spread out a lil' and play smart, seriously.

Flamers are good doubtless, but when you gotta choose between those and Meltas for your bikes...um, I'd rather the Meltas, mostly because otherwise you can't handle tanks period without 'em? (Well, you can try to argue Plasma but then you realize how good AP 1 is without having AP 1, lol. And Krak Grenades, man those are awesome on people who actually move their tanks, lol.)

Sure, meltas hit the tank the bolters not being able to do anything, much better than all flamers and bolters not scratching paint at all, I think? Or is it good to hope that the enemy doesn't know to shoot the squads that have the anti-tank first? ...Or is it better to have as many as possible, so the enemy can't single out specific units that will cripple my ability to dish out anti-tank?

Yeah, Vulkan in the army is 190 points helping... 10 melta? Good use of those 190 points, definitely. Not to mention this means losing Combat Tactics...so 10 Twin-Linked Melta...or Army-Wide Hit and Run...Hmmm....

if it works for you keep it. but an end all and be all list this isn't, since there's no such thing.
Entirely true. :victory:

Chaplain? So I lose my 2nd Command Squad again, I explained why that might be a problem.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
fair enough.

i'll chalk it up to different ideologies in army building. i always count on my luck being crappy adjust for it. when it is crappy, i've got something to fall back on. when it's good, it's better.

how would you handle all reserve deployment moves? what about outflankers? what about Daemonic Assault?

would keep a bike squad at home, or do you go for killing everything and to hell with objectives?

not meaning any sarcasm or starting an pointless argument, just trying to get your ideas on this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fair enough.

i'll chalk it up to different ideologies in army building. i always count on my luck being crappy adjust for it. when it is crappy, i've got something to fall back on. when it's good, it's better.

how would you handle all reserve deployment moves? what about outflankers? what about Daemonic Assault?

would keep a bike squad at home, or do you go for killing everything and to hell with objectives?

not meaning any sarcasm or starting an pointless argument, just trying to get your ideas on this.

Reserve: You're gonna let my whole army turbo around your deployment zone waiting for you to appear in piecemeal most likely? Thanks!

Outflankers: Same thing, weight one side, only IG have a form of control of what side they come in on, so if they roll the wrong one...they're playing a game of a 6' table compared to 4' and...I probably have the superior mobility thanks to Turbo Boosting options?

Daemonic Assault: Half your army comes in first turn vs. all of mine. I think that's the case for many armies?

This is a aggressive list, so generally you use all of it to fight, then last turns start thinking about Objectives. It has the weakness of 2nd tier terrain, but that's why you place your own in accessible places while killing the enemy off his.

Sorry if I come of as very sarcastic, lol.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Ah I missed the second CS. Okay then list is great as is carry on. :eek:k:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Dang good list, within its genre (Pure biker) I don't think it gets a whole lot better. Sure you can't reach out and hurt tanks at range but not much in pure bikers can. Dual LC commands squads is killer (@Macapocalypse this is what should be handling those entrenched troops with assault not flamers, they need the meltas to kill tanks) and 4 troops is good. Speeders would be helpful but not essential, the Attack bikes are better protected, and cheaper and early in the game when you should be firing at tanks not much is going to be out of transports anyway so you're not wasting bolter shots.

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
So the list looks pretty strong, but I think you lack ranged punch.

Personally, I think the Biker build with Captain, MoF, 5 Rifleman Dreads, 2 speeders and bikes is more effective against all comers... but this would be alot of fun to play against orks... But against a force oriented towards torrent of fire, you're gonna have real problems... for example, if you face 3 x 5-ML Long Fangs packs, you're gonna have issues... One turn of thier shooting will really impair your effectiveness...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny, I face LF spam all the time and the guys have 2 turns to shoot at 3+ Cover Saves or I'm dealing with the rest of their units in CC with Bike commands and the other Troops still keeping 4+ Cover from all the stuff (terrain, units) in midfield. Long Fangs are hardly ever a serious problem.

Thundercalvary, hoo boy, that's a beast.
Blood Claws in a LRC too.
Logan/Ragnar with some Termies in a LR of some kind too.

But not LFs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts