Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just managed to get 3 space crusade dreads on ebay for 5£. I bought them because I figured I could use them as alt models for GK dreads.

Now it struck me this might not be "legal" to do. Afaik they are citadel models but a little bit shorter than regular dreads.

How would you guys react to someone pulling out some space crusade dreads in a pickup game or if an opponent at a tournament pulled some out?

The plan I have is to cut out the front parts and put in clear plastic to create a small crew compartment. GK dont want to be put in dreads so I figured I could create some where you can see the pilot so its basically a mechwalker type thing.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Well, I don't have one but judging by the picture it looks big enough. Ask your opponent(s), I'm sure they'll say it's alright, but in tournaments I doubt they're legal.

·
4,491 Posts
They are smaller than a normal dread (ive got a SC Dread).

In friendly games, as long as the opponent agrees then i cant see a problem with it.
Tournaments however, you will need the proper models.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
No ME! I only have two!

lol. Great find for that price.

As far as rules, friendly games should be fine, for tournies you can always fall back on the fact that they ARE Citadel models. You'd have to play a real asshat to have issues with such cool models. Of course I have run into the occasional asshat at tournies...lol

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
They ARE still GW models.
Whether they are tourney legal will depend on the Tourney and organisers though.
Some have the attitude of 'wrong base=illegal', others have the "cool model=legal model" attitude.
You WILL get arsehats in tournaments, it's inevitable. It breeds them. When arsehats get together in large numbers, they spore. It's the enclosed spaces, body odours and stagnant air.

As long as it has the right weapons fit, it should be fine.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
saying they are GW or Citadel models is a little pointless, gw does and has and will refuse any models they want, even if made by them at some point, allot of official GW tournies and stores do not allow really old models just because they can, not for any logical reason..

so in a friendly game at home, anything goes.
in a GW or tournie ask organisers and staff first before you bother bringing them, as they can turn them away for no reason at all and there is sod all you can do, plus GW is a haven for asshats, so you gotta make sure you avoid those pathetic cretins as well.

·
Registered
231 Posts
It really depends on your opponent. At 'ardboyz last year our flgs didn't get put on the roster quick enough so we all picked up and ran over to the closest place hosting it. One person was running 2nd ed(I think... you know, the shorter ones) Marine models partly because he likes them and I think also to pull the yes they're shorter but they're just old thing and got booted out. Another friend brought a half scratch built/half warmachines model and everyone thought it was really cool and had no problems with it.

It comes down to how you present it and deal with anyone challenging you about it. I suggest backups just in case.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Use them use them use them. They are awesome old models, just get some of the large bases for them to sit on if anyone gives you any grief. I have one but have no weapons for it yet, think it would make a great rifleman dread though.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm a bit confused. According to all of pictures that I could find, the Space Crusade dreadnoughts are all about the right size compared to the current models. At worst, they're comparable to the Rogue Trader dreadnoughts.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'e never had a problem, even at GW stores, with using any of my old RT-era models. I've taken them to multiple GW US GTs, played in the GW stores, battle bunkers, etc.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Since they are GW models you should be able to use them at will, plus you get style points for classic models in my book, I'd just love to see an ork player using the 2nd edition cardboard dreadnought in a tourney, that would give me lols

1 - 13 of 13 Posts