Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am about to go into a tourney and it has come up in a few friendly games that i can move my Soul Grinders legs so i could if i choose to move my legs to get a further range then move them back to shorten it if need be to get out of range...

I am also trying to figure out what is the dreadnaughts Hull are the legs the hull or just the main body?
A normal walker is 60mm base is the SG the same or bigger?
Do the legs count as the Hull??
Am i allowed to use the legs as an advantage? (the thing is so big anything helps)

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Hi i am about to go into a tourney and it has come up in a few friendly games that i can move my Soul Grinders legs so i could if i choose to move my legs to get a further range then move them back to shorten it if need be to get out of range...
I would call that out as cheating. If modelling for advantage is cheating this certainly is too. Even if noone can find a rule against it's still a pretty douchbag move. Just play better, cheap tricks gets you nowhere.

I am also trying to figure out what is the dreadnaughts Hull are the legs the hull or just the main body?
Since a dreadnaught is on a base (or at least should be) it doesn't really matter what the hull is. But in any case, the main body of a vehicle is the hull. Not it's spoiler, not it's arms (well, you could argue that these are. But I wouldn't count them as such) and not it's legs.
The SG has no base, so it's just like a tank. In other words, it's f***ing big.
Yeah, even though legs aren't. But if your opponent can hit the legs he can hit the model. You can, however, not measure weapons from them. Remember, guns are measured from themselves, not the model.
Am i allowed to use the legs as an advantage? (the thing is so big anything helps)
A big fat no. Just use it to your advantage. It's the perfect model to provide cover for your units so use it as such.
Cheap tricks does not a better player make :wink:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the same trick as vehicles use.... Start sideways at the edge of your deployment then turn on the spot to get range advantage, and most people do this cheap trick.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If you're talking about the Soulgrinder here, all measurements to and from it's hull include it's legs and other limbs. p72, Walkers, 'Measuring Ranges'.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Modeling so you can squeeze an inch or two out of range is modeling for advantage. Clear violation of the rules. This will undoubtedly get your removed from an tournament. I know I watch for that crap when I run things. Doing that is about like taking a Land Raider and putting both Sponsons on 1 side..nothing in the rules saying 1 has to be on each side..but it is modeling for advantage because it enables you to bring all weapons to bear with just a slight turn of the model, where you would normally be denied firing of a weapon. would you like me to take a Godhammer, put both TL LasCannons on 1 side, turn it, and unleash it at your Soul Grinder..when normally I could only get you with 1..? Probably not.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
I just glued the legs in place on my 3 grinders- gets round the issue of movable legs, makes it more stable and if you position them sensibly it can still cross all terrain without issue (I've even had mine hanging onto the sides of buildings/ruins before now- 90deg vertical FTW).

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
even though they can move I'd only move them a certain way to show damage etc. like have them curled up underneath the soul grinder if it's immobilised. To change the way a model looks during the game to gain an advantage is just bullshit. to show damage yeah, to make it better for you no.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
But how am i to know where to postition my legs... and what is classed as right, if the legs are part of the hull and i put my legs all bunched up for a smaller hull then glue them am i cheating but on the same level if i spread them out so i get a better better run distance isnt that the same??

Are the legs apart of the hull and whats right for the legs??

This wouldnt be a problem if the thing wasnt so bloody big haha.

The thing about the legs is mainly from largeblast weapons if the hole is on a leg is it the hull... what if it goes into the gaps between the legs?? etc.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
have them in between close to the hull and fully spread out. you get no advantage but no disadvantage either.and with blasts you only get the full strength if the hole is on the model. the legs are part of the model, the space between legs does not count

·
Registered
29 Posts
But how am i to know where to postition my legs... and what is classed as right, if the legs are part of the hull and i put my legs all bunched up for a smaller hull then glue them am i cheating but on the same level if i spread them out so i get a better better run distance isnt that the same??
I say pick a pose that looks good to you then glue it that way and leave it. If it is consistant through the whole game, then it isn't a problem. I don't even know how you could possibly move that thing around if the legs aren't glued on...

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Just be sensible- or copy the picture. Curling the legs underneath is cheating... and is akin to modelling a man walking on his knees- its possible to move like that (and gives gaming advantage normally) but you should just not do it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts