Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
6,981 Posts
I rather liked the Soul Drinkers series, the first two more than any of the others to date though.

For me, the story of how a chapter was tricked to turning to chaos, but fought against that because they remained loyal, has a great appeal.

Of the series though, from what I remember of them, I got the feeling of a chapter misled, righting the wrongs and saving itself before damnation has a chance to set in completely. Crimson Tears picks up on an interesting note, the chapter is at a crossroads; it needs to move on, to rebuild, but Sarpedon refuses to truly do so until the last big 'tragedy' of the chapter is brought to justice.

Chapter War I did not like as much as the others; mostly because I was not so much a fan of what ended up happening. I saw it coming, and the Soul Drinkers are now a chapter who's pathway is not set, and so they had to make one for themselves, but they have already suffered a chapter war once before, it has barely been years and already they are to have another one.

Haven't read Hellforged yet, had the ending ruined for me and was saddened about what I heard. Not because I thought it was bad or anything, but because I thought the ending was a bit tragic. (All in all, gonna have to pick it up at some point in the future.)

Interesting review of what you've read so far Lord of the Night; though in regards to the possible double standard. Keep in mind that overall, for the Blood Raven's it was their word that would be taken, they were not fleeing from possible retrobution. The Soul Drinkers attacked a Mechanicum ship and fled, later having to deal with the inquisition and fleeing after that. It does not paint a good picture for them no matter what you say or do; but to excommunicate the entire chapter because of the actions of one or two companies is a tad severe.

Punishing the whole chapter with something less, while having those 'bad' companies dealt with would likely have been far more appropriate. (Though doesn't exactly set things up for the series.)

· Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Soul Drinkers are cool cause they are mutated, like Choas, yet remain stead-fast loyal to the Emporer and his ideals.

Thought I'/m honestly very confused, I thought it stopped after the new addition hellforge, I thought sarpeadon was killed by the Crimson Fist captian??? I have read the entire series, so I'm very confused, is there more books now???
For starters, I've noticed you messing up the spelling of emperor quite a bit. Emperor not emporer

Next, you sure you read the entire series so far? I haven't even read Hellforged, and FYI it is possible that Lord of the Night, the starter of this thread, has not read it either so keep spoilers away or in spoiler tags, but the Crimson Fists do not make an appearance in the novel. They make an appearance at some point in the series but it is not in Hellforged.

Also, might be a good idea to read all the posts before responding as the next book in regards to the Soul Drinkers has been mentioned in three of the four posts preceeding your own. (Two of those posts give a name to the next book, and the first of them gives a link.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.