Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody like the Soul Drinkers, and if so, why? I'm reading the Redemption omnibus and I've just got to the part where the Daemon Prince/plague has nominated his champion. So far, the Soul Drinkers have come off as whining, bitching manchildren who decided that they and their toys were more important than the Imperium they were sworn to serve. They claim to see the hypocrisy of the Imperium, while pulling that old Space Wolf trick of saying 'Mutations/Psychic Powers? Heresy! Oh, these? No no no, my dear friend, you're mistaking our Emperor-given gifts/shamanism of Fenris for mutations/psychic powers! A common mistake!'

They seem like the most hypocritical, preening, self-worshipping sons of bitches in the entire galaxy. Granted I'm only partially through their story, but I'm absolutely hating them as characters thus far.

Midnight

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Does anybody like the Soul Drinkers, and if so, why? I'm reading the Redemption omnibus and I've just got to the part where the Daemon Prince/plague has nominated his champion. So far, the Soul Drinkers have come off as whining, bitching manchildren who decided that they and their toys were more important than the Imperium they were sworn to serve. They claim to see the hypocrisy of the Imperium, while pulling that old Space Wolf trick of saying 'Mutations/Psychic Powers? Heresy! Oh, these? No no no, my dear friend, you're mistaking our Emperor-given gifts/shamanism of Fenris for mutations/psychic powers! A common mistake!' They seem like the most hypocritical, preening, self-worshipping sons of bitches in the entire galaxy. Granted I'm only partially through their story, but I'm absolutely hating them as characters thus far.
Nailed it. :laugh:

I only read one book, and yes it was pretty bad on the characterization front. Special snowflakes everywhere.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The concept was admirable but the execution was flawed.

The idea of completely renegade crew is very interesting. They've rejected both the Imperium and Chaos but want to retain their guardianship over the common man. They're alone in the universe.

What does that do to the chapter, to their culture, beliefs? How does it effect their recruiting and methods of waging war. What does it mean to be a Space Marine without purpose, to throw off all that indoctrination and conditioning but to retain enough self control to not sink into chaos.

My worst gripe is the Soul Drinkers 'fall'. It just didn't make much sense. The Mechanicus steals a sacred relic of the Chapter, belonging to a Primarch and therefore making it one of the holiest items in the Imperium. The Soul Drinkers then get it back but are excommunicated from the Imperium for attacking a Mechanicus ship.

Hold on a minute. This one act of conflict, a justifiable one at that, especially by Imperium/Astartes standards results in a Chapters excommunication? An act committed against the Mechanicus whom a great deal of Imperial authority don't like much. Between two nigh autonomous institutions in the Imperium.

Other chapters have done far worse for far less punishment.

There is course the fact that both sides acted rashly and conflict was completely avoidable. Sarpedon, a mid ranking librarian, of his own volition decides to attack the Magos who stole the Soulspear, also acting on his own volition. It would have been a better idea for Sarpedon to get his Chapter Master involved. A Chapter Master is not a man to cross and has a great deal of influence. He could go over the Magos' head to his superiors and negotiate. He could also go to the Imperial Fists, who would help, the Soulspear being a sacred relic of Dorn. The Imperial Fists, prestigious First Founders who are noted for their store of good will would have further diplomatic pull.

It's just a stupid setup and that frustrates me. I hate it when characters act stupid for no other reason that to fit a shoe-horned plot.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Nailed it. :laugh:

I only read one book, and yes it was pretty bad on the characterization front. Special snowflakes everywhere.
I only managed the first book.

My desire for a swift and painful death was inversely proportional to the amount of the book that I had left to read...... :headbutt:

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's obvious the Soul Drinkers are descended from the 1000 sons. I mean they have the freaking fleshchange,descended from an unknown primarch,and have a crap load of psychics lol.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's obvious the Soul Drinkers are descended from the 1000 sons. I mean they have the freaking fleshchange,descended from an unknown primarch,and have a crap load of psychics lol.
I haven't read all the books yet, but I've just finished an entire Omnibus of them having 3 Librarians in the whole Chapter and yelling about Dorn at every opportunity. Not sure if this is completely reversed in the next omnibus because I for one won't be reading it, but from the first three books it's pretty clear that they're Imperial Fist descendants.

Midnight

·
Registered
197 Posts
I haven't read all the books yet, but I've just finished an entire Omnibus of them having 3 Librarians in the whole Chapter and yelling about Dorn at every opportunity. Not sure if this is completely reversed in the next omnibus because I for one won't be reading it, but from the first three books it's pretty clear that they're Imperial Fist descendants.

Midnight

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts

Midnight
Yeah that changes, sadly. I thought it was cool, but as far as I can tell Ben Counter changed his mind towards the end and then it's revealed that they aren't IF descendants, if I'm remembering correctly it's said that it's unknown, but every man and his dog assumes it's Thousand Sons.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I managed the first two books before deciding mainlining domestos into my scrotum was less painful and far more entertaining.

Terrible, terrible and thrice terrible.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah that changes, sadly. I thought it was cool, but as far as I can tell Ben Counter changed his mind towards the end and then it's revealed that they aren't IF descendants, if I'm remembering correctly it's said that it's unknown, but every man and his dog assumes it's Thousand Sons.
Wow.

Midnight

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

However, I've got to say that Karhedros' death is the highest point of the three books for it's almost Goto level of idiocy.

Midnight

1 - 14 of 14 Posts