Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Soul Drinkers Army

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  walnuts666 
#1 ·
I always said I disliked the space marines and would never play them but I finished reading the Soul Drinkers Omnibus and they are pretty cool(the book is great). I would like to try to put a Soul Drinkers army together. I have plenty of pieces to start them. My question is what codex do you think would best suit them? I own the SM,Black Templers and the new Chaos codexes. I would appreciate all input.:headbutt:

#2 ·
well the bases for which codex is are they space marines or freshly converted to chaos in which case space marine codex, are they raaaghh 'FOR THE EMPEROR!!!' *charge forward recklessly*, then black templars and if they're chaos then chaos codex=] depends on what period in history your basing them upon(assuming that in soul drinkers they go heretical i havent read it but suggesting a chaos codex implies it=]

#5 ·
This from Wikpedia it describes them better than I can:
A Rogue Space Marine Chapter, were declared Excommunicate Traitoris by the Inquisition after they refused censorship and subsequently killed the interrogator sent to demand their submission to the Imperium investigation. This was following their assault on an Adeptus Mechanicus ship that stole one of their sacred relics from them (a vortex weapon wielded by the Imperial Fists' Primarch, Rogal Dorn called the Soulspear.) They are still very loyal to the Emperor, even though they have been exposed to the raw stuff of Chaos. They were allegedly formed from the Imperial Fists' orbital assault contingent during the Second Founding. They participated along with the Imperial Fists, Fire Hawk and Black Templars chapters in the assault on Terra at the end of the Reign of Blood.
They specialize in ship to ship assaults and no Terminators are ever mentioned in any books.They are good at hit and runs and full out assaults.

#7 ·
They specialize in ship to ship assaults and no Terminators are ever mentioned in any books.They are good at hit and runs and full out assaults.
I believe I recall one guy in Terminator armour.

Another Soul Drinkers fact is that they have almost no heavy weapon troops, the way the books would describe it you would think their entire chapter has 1 missile launcher. I'm sure that isn't the case but it was endlessly amusing each time they would mention this one guy with a missile launcher setting up to fire.

#9 ·
Frozenob you are correct about the 1 term armor. I looking for the closet codex to get a Soul Drinkers army. Basically what marine codex has the best assault teams. I do not play marines so I am looking for any advice on what codex to possibly check out. Thanks for all input so far guys.

#10 ·
If they're very assaulty, you might also want to consider the Blood Angel codex - this is a link to the GW page with downloadable codex- as well as the others you're already looking at.

I realise that the Soul Drinkers are descended from thye Imperial Fists, so odex SM might be considered more appropriate, but the Blood Angels are an assaulty kinda army - on the other hand, you can field your one missile launcher guy (unlike Black Templars, apparently).

You might have to do some juggling to fit it all together (eg, what is the Soul Drinkers' equivalent of the Death Company?) but I'm sure it's do-able...

Let us know how you get on with this, I gotta admit, I'm intrigued!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.