Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Slave to Heresy!
8,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given complete control and the backing of GW what would you do to fix Necrons up in 5th edition?

Would you add new units? How would you change special rules? Would you totally alter the way they enter the battle? Special characters?

I think it's important for the community to voice their opinions - maybe, just maybe the developers will look on and be influenced by what we say?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I would say 3 different levels of lords.

Guass Weapons retain the glancing Vehicles on 6's but also get Rending.

Make Flayed Ones Troops and give them Rending Claws.

Keep WBB the same.

Make the Monolith immune to Shaken and Stunned.

Add a way such as an upgrade to confer Stubborn onto units.

Generally clarify and clear up all the rules issues around their units.

Aramoro

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Take away gauss weapons ability on warriors weapons, but allow the weapon used by immortals to be glancing.

Allow troops to upgrade models to have heavy/support style weapons.

Have another vehicle besides the monolith. A mini monilith that can't transport troops but can be used to bolster a tyranid assault with heavy weapon fire.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
- Replace Gauss with Randing
- More troops (Flayed ones are perfect)
- At the very least 2 new units as well as a new C'tan
- A special version of FNP instead of WBB.
- Phase otu should be re-adjusted or even scraped
- Monaliths shouldn't be as bad ass(tho i doupt many Necron players would like that), like being albe to destroy weapons or having movement restrictions and the like.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I would like to see them made into much more of an endless marching army style force, this would bring variation to the styles of 40k play and would make them truly unique.

To do this I would remove WBB and replace with reserve rules, make it so that dead necrons form new reserve squads and cna be brought onto the table.
Use the monolith to teleport new troops onto the table and make it even harder to kill, but make its attacks weaker - not sure in what way, but basically make a necron army work like a never ending swarm of necrons coming out of the monolith gates.

Then make the rest of the army work in its modes - i.e. fast attack whip around and pester but don't do much else, heavy support much more sluggish and lethal at close range, make the wraiths more "lurky" so they stick to cover and slice things up that come too close.

These changes would make the necron army very strong, but require tactics to use rather than the wall of death that I seem to face very time I play necrons.

I would rather they were easier to kill (no WBB) but keep coming back (monolith teleport)

Give them some large artilleery style weapon, something which is "wheeled out" as big threat to replace the monoliths current slot as a big killer.

Basically I would make them much more of a marching doom and make it preferable to get a whole load of necrons pouring out of the monolith than taking special units.

(Note: my only experience of necrons is one player in our play group, so I may have experienced necrons wrong, but this would be how I would see them if the army "worked" the way it seems it should)

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Not sure why people dislike Gauss, it's a great rule, A Warrior can Glance a Land Raider right now, with just Rending it cannot.

The one thing I would absolutely hate to see would be Feels no Pain instead of Well Be Back. It turns them from a force of mechanical death machines into more boring Plague Marines.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Not sure why people dislike Gauss, it's a great rule, A Warrior can Glance a Land Raider right now, with just Rending it cannot.

The one thing I would absolutely hate to see would be Feels no Pain instead of Well Be Back. It turns them from a force of mechanical death machines into more boring Plague Marines.

Aramoro
Thats why i said the things i did really.
Gauss is great yes but too powerful in these places. Rending is a much more realistc style, like the blast on it's hull racted heavyer than expected to the unpredictable gauss weaponry.
Aso for WBB. I agre it's good but too man y holes so i suggest a mixt of WBB and FNP rather than just FNP instead.

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Tiered Lords with upgrades that allow different units to be taken as troops. Preferably either destroyers, flayed ones, wraiths, or immortals.

Upgrades for the lord that give him a 6" aura like the sanguinary priest. Different auras would all be really cool. The different auras could include stubborn, relentless, and fleet. I think those three would really make necrons more dynamic.

NO TRANSPORTS!!! I like my necrons as a footslogging army.

Raise point cost of monolith but ensure it cannot be shaken/stunned and increase range of whip.

End phase out for god's sake!

Pariah's cost less, maybe 28-30 points per model. Their soulless ability is increased to 18" and psychic abomination is increased to a 12" range. They also have I4 and WS5.

C'tan become upgrades for the lord but are still 0-1.

Heavy Destroyers have either two shots on the heavy gauss cannon and/or the range is increased to 48". Comparable to a lascannon.

Flayed Ones have power claws (weapons).

I think this is rumored to already be coming but some sort of skeletal walker like the WHFB bone giant would be really cool.

Gauss could stay but instead of glancing maybe it does -1 only on the damage table.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I like some of those, Pariah's definitely need some love.

Gauss could stay but instead of glancing maybe it does -1 only on the damage table.
I'm not sure what you mean here, you mean they don't Glance on 6's? Or they do Glance on 6's but only gets -1 instead of -2?

Flayed Ones have power claws (weapons).
I think this would make them too expensive to give them Power Claws, Rending would make them good and not killer expensive.

Aramoro

·
Registered
566 Posts
WWB changes to FNP of like a +5

Monolith points up, but no more dropping whip down to half damage if you partial a vehicle.(it's pretty much pure energy)

Different types of weapons in a warrior squad.

new C'tan

more units.(please more units)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts

Aramoro
I have nothing against gauss per say, just that all foot troops being able to glance ANY vehicle has always seemed a bit lopsided.

As for FNP, I wouldnt want then to get that, but I do like bubblematrix's idea of an endless horde with new units being created from old dead necrons during the game.

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
I have nothing against gauss per say, just that all foot troops being able to glance ANY vehicle has always seemed a bit lopsided.
That's what I really like about it though. It means you can have an endless horde of Warriors and still have some effect against vehicles.

I really like the horde of identical troops aesthetic and if you remove the Gauss rule then you only have Monoliths and Heavy Destroyers that can effect AV14 and that's pretty sad as it makes them mandatory. Or you allow squads to take heavy weapons, but then you just have another Marine rip off and not the same aesthetic at all.

5+ FnP is a great idea if you want Necrons to suck so bad it hurts.

Aramoro

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
If they take the endless horde route they would need some kind of weapons platform, imho the monolith would gain more not less fearfactor if it became a source of new necrons rather than a heavy weapon toting killer.

A bone giant style walker would be perfect as heavy option, maybe let it join squads and confer a shield - it gives nice images of a towering weapons platform protecting a necron squad.

How about Gaus wepons having some stacking effect instead? meaning the more successful hits by one squad the harder the hit. It would mean more dice = more chance (just like a glancing on 6's) but would also mean smaller squads won't be effective even with cheesy dice rolls (I hate to see anyone, me and opponents get ballsed by dice rolls).
I am no rules balancer but something like each hit on a vehicle confers +1 strength to a combined hit maybe, that way a whole squad of necrons on a vehicle will have a chance for a glancing or penetrating hit, but reduced strength squads no chance.

On the lord note, I would make them very strong and give more upgrades which area affect help regular necrons (or necrons of the same type - detroyer body, wraith body lords :p) then make it such that the lords can't resurect through a monolith - this would make the lords hard to kill, but the key to the army, much like tyranid synapses should have been.

The phase out rules could then be removed and simply make the lord and functioning monolith essential to necrons success.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Rending instead of Gauss would make it almost impossible for the Necrons to hurt vehicles, since rending became only +d3 instead of d6 like it used to be. This would not be an effective way for the most technologically advanced race ever to deal with vehicles. Even Gauss Cannons would need to roll a 6+ followed by a 3+ just to glance AV14, and 6+ followed by 5+ to penetrate, and that is if they even manage to hit the target in the first place. It would be a step backwards.

Rending would, however, make them hugely powerful vs infantry because of the AP2 hits. 2 units of 20 Warriors getting rapid fire on a target means 80 shots + rending weapon's AP2 affect on 1/6 hits...

Rending would not be an ideal option for Necrons because it makes them too ineffective against vehicles and too affective against infantry.

A simple rewording of Gauss would be enough, so that they are exactly the same as now but count as AP1 vs vehicles. This will give them the 1/6 chance of getting a wrecked result on a glancing hit, just as they always used to before 5th ed.

I would like to see some completely new creatures emerge from the Tombs. Something never even hinted at before. There is plenty of scope for this because the Necrons are such a mysterious faction anyway. A type of walker unit would be nice.

I would also like to see some more big weapons with an AoE effect like the P-Whip, or with flamer templates. Necrons can't deal with units in cover at the moment because only the C'tan and Wraiths count as having assault grenades, and there are no weapons with flamer-type template attacks.

I'd like to see some of the awesome power of the Star Vampires. They are supposed to be able to alter the fabric of reality... I'm not seeing that in the game right now...

I'd like to make Necrons feel ultra high-tech, because at the moment they are really suffering under the weight of power creep in the newer codices.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Technologies would be nice, how about something like the following?

Atom Storm Cannon said:
'The necrons having learnt the power of the stars developed weapons capable of turning the very matter of their enemies against them. The Atom Storm Cannon rips the fabric of space to pieces releasing the energy stored in its atomic bonds and showering those unfortunate enough to be close to it'

Shoots at a model, places a template. The template stays in play (like the vortex grenade in Apocalypse), the necron player can move it d6 inches a turn, maybe some scattering effect.

The templates strength increases with the number of targets hit, its AP decreases.

·
Registered
736 Posts
there are lots of rules issues that i could suggest, but to be honest, i think the whole thing needs a rethink.

easily the thing that annoys me most about the Necrons is how samey all armies that i have to fight against are.

i'm personally of the opinion that codexes should allow gamers to build at least 3 or more completely different load outs (not just a bit different either). so with that in mind i would create a Pariah HQ and a Tomb Spyder HQ and i would move Pariahs and Scarabs to Troops. i would also move the rules on to meet up with the background and create Necron Lords that can have 'functions' which can either equip them and their horde for a specific role (like recon or garrison) or equip them to be similar to other types of Necron (in the same way as an Autarch can be equipped like a Warp Spider, a Necron Lord can be equipped like a Immortal or Wraith).

i'd also develop a number of new units and possibly some immobile vehicles and weapons platforms. i wouldn't want to introduce any further transports but it would be cool if the idea of teleportation appeared as more of a dominant factor in the army. and finally i think i would be inclined to drop the
C'tan from the codex. their appearance in the book only serves to undermine their background. we're asked to believe that these guys are all powerful god like creatures who offered something of value to the Necrontyr, but we can all see that the reality is that they have absolutely nothing special going for them at all. in fact they can't even use psychic powers like all the other cool gods in school can.

To do this I would remove WBB and replace with reserve rules, make it so that dead necrons form new reserve squads and cna be brought onto the table.
wow. i actually quite like that.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Immobile = dead in 5th ed., auto-hit in CC means it's no use. That's why drop-pods are throw-away units.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts