Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was playing a game today with my friends army that I was considering buying against a local (this would be my 5th game ever of fantasy btw) and we had a Sorcerers Portal in the middle of the board. Now first let me admit that this all happened because of me I never should of played this kid because we have joked that he pretty much bends every rule so he can win and we call it "Vickhammer" (his name is vick) but I had no one else to play other than him and a pro that rapes anything he plays (although he is a cool and nice guy he probably woulda taught me the rules better) anyway I'm getting off topic

So first Vick told me that the sorcerer portal attacks the closest unit which makes sense but as his mauraders and my temple guard were fighiting in it he rolls a die its a three and he says "OK so you're hit" no "1-3 you're hit 4-6 I'm hit" just you're the one hit. But I let him get away with it, then he says "Ok so the spell is taking from the Lore of Death" and then rolls to end with my unit of temple guard getting butt-fucked by this spell it happened to me TWICE and then finally when only my Oldblood was alive it targeted his nurgle knights that had assaulted as well. Then he goes on to say "Ok 2d6 to see what Lore the spell happens" it ended with it being Lore of Light and his nurgle knights getting the WS 10 I 10 spell.

So after quitting right then and there and swearing never to play vickhammer again I would like to get the real rule is it taken directly from Lore of Death or is it a 2d6 roll to choose the Lore?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Does none of the above make you feel any better? What it actually does is you roll 2D6 every Magic phase and it

2-4 Soulblight (Lore of Death)
5-6 Wyssans Wild Form (Lore of Beasts)
7 Plague of Rust (Lore of Metal)
8-9 Speed of Light (Lore of Light)
10-12 Fireball (Lore of Fire)

no rule for if 2 units are equally close really. Randomly determine them or cast the same spell on both, or a different roll for each unit, decide before the game.

Aramoro

·
Registered
312 Posts
Aramoro is correct. It should have been clearly stated before you guys started that what would happen and how. Now, once both of you were within range, a roll shoud have been made as you stated (1-3 =player a, 4-6=player b).

What you could do next time you play him is take your Slann and utterly destroy his army. I think Light lore does the best damage against chaos. Or, simply do not play him.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What you could do next time you play him is take your Slann and utterly destroy his army. I think Light lore does the best damage against chaos. Or, simply do not play him.
I've decided to do the latter in the case of fantasy as I have no problem curb-stomping his orks in 40k

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why is it that none of these stories ever end, "And that's the day I vowed to learn the rules" or "And that's the day I realized I should actually own a copy of the rulebook?" Or even, "Since we didn't agree on what the rules were without looking it up, we paused to look up the rules and found out what was what. ..."? :headbutt:

Is it just that more entertaining for a person to post stories about how they and some one else ended up behaving poorly together?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
or you know how about "The kid had said he memorized the rulebook. And I don't own an army or a rulebook or a codex or anything remotely related to Fantasy so I took his word for it" why is there always a "Well from up here on my high horse I must say you are both idiots for not reading the rules" guy that needs to throw in something along the same lines on this forum? :p

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's a very nice view from up here on this high horse, it's highly recommended. :angel:

Among the principles of being an Elitist Jerk Who Doesn't Get Taken Advantage Of :)so_happy:) are:

0. You're an idiot if you don't read the rules. :p
1. When in doubt, ask to see the rules.
2. When in doubt, ask to see the other player's army book.
3. If you don't own the rulebook, buy it.
4. If you don't own the army book for your army, buy it. You should have bought the book first.
5. If you don't know the rule very well, read them again and practice playing.
6. If you don't know the rules, you should be asking for something called a "practice game" so that you can learn the rules while playing. Nobody gets ego points for winning "practice games".

:thank_you:

If you'd been an Elitist Jerk like me, and asked to see the rule during the game, then you wouldn't have had to complain about getting cheated afterward. :victory:

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, have to agree with that- anytime a rule sounds dodgy or too good to be true (normally for the opponent, not you) just ask to see the rule. Its not being offensive or saying that the other player is cheating (if they take offense it normally means they not only are cheating, but know they are...) and almost everyone will hapily find the page, point out the rule and let you read it... the few who dont let you look either guilty of bending the rules or are just being an arse, either way you know all you need to know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts