Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I played a game against the guy who brought the pally star grey knights to our last tournament and won (tigurius, cotes, 10 pallys, 3 dks) and I wound up getting first turn with my dark eldar/eldar army (wraith knight and farseer) right off the bat I killed 7 of his pallys and after that he made them invisible and I went to work on the big dreads, picking them off one by one. By turn 5 he had 3 models left on the field. He then went on to say the "dark eldar need to be nerfed and they are completely over powered." I firmly believe dark eldar are a good dex and have enjoyed them but I hardly believe they are op. Have you guys ever had a game where everything went your way and your opponent accused your army of being op? I dont know if I should be offended or feel complimented lol.

·
Registered
160 Posts
nice job i would say lol i havent played a real game but alil here and there with my brother but i'm sure he wasnt expecting a beating lol

·
Registered
602 Posts
bad luck of the draw on his part, and he sounds like a one trick pony if hes complaining that Dark Eldar are Overpowered, as, while they can decimate forces quickly, they are anything but overpowered, due to their extreme quishyness.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Yeah, it's all about how you play the game. A couple of times I've been called OP, other times I've beat lists that I was told were OP. Really, it's part luck on the dice rolls and part being able to play well. I'd be interested to see the lists, but on a hunch the person was probably just bitter about losing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Yeah, it's all about how you play the game. A couple of times I've been called OP, other times I've beat lists that I was told were OP. Really, it's part luck on the dice rolls and part being able to play well. I'd be interested to see the lists, but on a hunch the person was probably just bitter about losing.
as a dark eldar player, theres no probably about it, DE tend to get that kind of response, either we decimate, or get decimated fairly quickly.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
That happened to me in the transition from 4th to 5 th edition with my orks. I went from hearing that "Orks suck" to three months later hearing that I play orks because they are over powered. A lot as others have said is about how you play and a little luck. I have beat list that were suppose to be over powered and then I have had list that beat me when I should have beat them.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
he sounds like a one trick pony if hes complaining that Dark Eldar are Overpowered
I was thinking this one as well. Usually when I hear someone saying a army is overpowered after one match, it's because they knee-jerk react to getting a severe beating. Then they would rather blame the game than just admitting they met the rock to their scissor list.

DE is a glass-hammer; Either they win in 3 turns or they die by the 5th in my experience. There's hardly ever any middle ground.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
My armies get called overpowered by people who didn't have a plan to beat them.
10 csm terminators in one big blob? OP!
An army made entirely of aspect warriors? OP!

DE are good at killing MC's with poison and providing weight of fire which is the best way to kill terminators... so obviously they're completely OP as you managed to beat a list made entirely of those two things and you should be ashamed :laugh:

Edit:I can't remember who said it but I think this is apt...
"Cheese is the battle cry of the ill-prepared"

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Pally-star players tend to be the scum of the game.

Cheap way to build a high cost 'army'.

Next time you know you'll be playing him, Take Vect to pretty much guarantee first turn and repeat the beating.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Well the pally star is hardly an all comers list...
Very little models so not much weight if fire...
If he acts like a bitch because he's not playing properly, it's no wonder he gets smashed... His dread knights were pretty much screwed at the sight if you...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol I agree completely, ive been playing dark eldar for 2 years now and have had great success but like stated throughout the post, its either feast or famine with them. Ive had tournaments where I went 3-0 and I have had some where I get smashed and sent home with an 0-3. But yea, the pally star is low model count and mcs. Basically our MO. I just really wanted to see how I would of done against him and wanted a pick up game. This was my first 7th ed game with my dark eldar (been playing csm and space wolves) and he is a pretty cocky dude, but he did appolagize by over facebook by saying good game and sorry for leaving so abruptly.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
he is a pretty cocky dude, but he did appolagize by over facebook by saying good game and sorry for leaving so abruptly.
Interesting fact; I know 4 players who play Dark Angels. All 4 fit this MO; They put out the same army and complain if their termies can't kill the entire opposing army.

I hope it's not a general thing :S

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Interesting fact; I know 4 players who play Dark Angels. All 4 fit this MO; They put out the same army and complain if their termies can't kill the entire opposing army.

I hope it's not a general thing :S
It is where im from. Thats why i hardly ever bring terminators anymore. Terminators are a one trick pony in my opinion and thats to tie down an enemy unit (or units for a few turns while they appear in the backfield or charge from a land raider. i never expect my terminators (when i field them to survive more than two turns and therefore i dont bother spending all the points on them.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Edit:I can't remember who said it but I think this is apt...
"Cheese is the battle cry of the ill-prepared"
That would be me!

I always used to love low model count opponents with my Eldar. I'd just SL them to death.

Now I've abandoned 40k for Infinity where your list doesn't matter nearly as much as your tactics.

Good riddance, Rock,Paper, Scissors!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hahahaha brutal deathklokk ;) I understand why they use paladins. 2 ws and psykers but they are still t4 and I have a lot of st 8 ap2 or better weapons in my list...along with an ass load of splinter weapons

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have only ever once had my army called OP, and it was during my first 3 months playing the game against this guy playing Imperial Fists, while I was playing Chaos Space Marines.

He had set up his list so that he could have a ton of marines storm up behind a line of three Centurions, and had no transports to speak of. As he was playing Fists, his ultimate goal seemed to be to find some nice spots to camp out and start gunning down threats. He also had a squad of Sternguard camping a building, and his HQ, possibly a Chapter Master, running up with the marines.

My list, being limited to what I owned, consisted of two squads of Chaos Marines, one with a plasma gun and heavy bolter, the other with two plasma guns. They were meant to be backed up by two squads of autocannon Havocs, and a Tzeench Daemon Prince with the Burning Brand would lead them into battle. And by Warp if that little guy didn't do just that. Then there was a squad of Warp Talons deep striking in to help the Daemon Prince land a nice charge. I think I had something else in there, Chosen perhaps, but it really doesn't matter.

Oh, and this guy also was cheating! Since I didn't know the rules all that well, and this guy, having fully painted his models to be Fists, talking about how much he loved their lore and their additions in the codex, and being a veteran player who had been in the game for over 10 years, claimed their Chapter Tactic was that every single bolt based weapon was twin-linked, all the time, no matter what range.

Well it sure ended up not mattering at all anyway, because Prince Killgore (the name I gave to my Daemon Prince) nearly tabled him in a few turns. My marines hid behind a wall until his army had been reduced to a single 10 man squad of marines, with Prince Killgore still slamming away at the Sternguard, which now had his HQ in it. Since the mission was The Relic, my guys just kinda walked up to it, picked it up, and began walking back to their wall. The Havocs were able to kill a few marines here and there before Prince Killgore got to them, and for the most part they just watched the carnage unfold.

And the best part of it all; at the very end, he starting shaking with rage as Killgore finished off his HQ with ease, and screamed "I ****ING CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OVERPOWERED CHAOS IS! DID G.W. EVEN TEST THIS?" It was then that my friends came over, one of which began laughing as he saw a lone Daemon Prince on the opponent's side of the table, and piles of dead marines on the other being packed up by an enraged Fists player. The other just asked how it went. I told them that at first I was scared of their Chapter Tactic, but then the Daemon Prince was so powerful on his own that he was able to wipe out whole squads in a phase. Then, the guy who was laughing stopped, and his face turned to the most wide-eyed expression the man could make, as he turned slowly to face the raging loyalist.

"You're cheating with Space Marines, and calling a brand new player with a single Daemon Prince overpowered?"

The rager immediately stopped what he was doing and turned pale, and quickly tried to cover up his lies. My friend pulled his copy of the codex, and slammed it down next to the now-cheater, open on the Chapter Tactics page. "Really? I sure don't see a line that says you have twin-linked all the time! Do you? Please, enlighten me!"

The player cried "But the Daemon Prince is still overpowered! He killed almost all of my army like it was nothing!"

"That's because you were using a stupid strategy that you bolstered by trying to cheat. Next time, actually play the game by the rules, and build an army that follows them."

The cheater then stormed out of the store, and we didn't see him again until recently, trying to sell off some old Imperial Fist models.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have only ever once had my army called OP, and it was during my first 3 months playing the game against this guy playing Imperial Fists, while I was playing Chaos Space Marines.

He had set up his list so that he could have a ton of marines storm up behind a line of three Centurions, and had no transports to speak of. As he was playing Fists, his ultimate goal seemed to be to find some nice spots to camp out and start gunning down threats. He also had a squad of Sternguard camping a building, and his HQ, possibly a Chapter Master, running up with the marines.

My list, being limited to what I owned, consisted of two squads of Chaos Marines, one with a plasma gun and heavy bolter, the other with two plasma guns. They were meant to be backed up by two squads of autocannon Havocs, and a Tzeench Daemon Prince with the Burning Brand would lead them into battle. And by Warp if that little guy didn't do just that. Then there was a squad of Warp Talons deep striking in to help the Daemon Prince land a nice charge. I think I had something else in there, Chosen perhaps, but it really doesn't matter.

Oh, and this guy also was cheating! Since I didn't know the rules all that well, and this guy, having fully painted his models to be Fists, talking about how much he loved their lore and their additions in the codex, and being a veteran player who had been in the game for over 10 years, claimed their Chapter Tactic was that every single bolt based weapon was twin-linked, all the time, no matter what range.

Well it sure ended up not mattering at all anyway, because Prince Killgore (the name I gave to my Daemon Prince) nearly tabled him in a few turns. My marines hid behind a wall until his army had been reduced to a single 10 man squad of marines, with Prince Killgore still slamming away at the Sternguard, which now had his HQ in it. Since the mission was The Relic, my guys just kinda walked up to it, picked it up, and began walking back to their wall. The Havocs were able to kill a few marines here and there before Prince Killgore got to them, and for the most part they just watched the carnage unfold.

And the best part of it all; at the very end, he starting shaking with rage as Killgore finished off his HQ with ease, and screamed "I ****ING CAN'T BELIEVE HOW OVERPOWERED CHAOS IS! DID G.W. EVEN TEST THIS?" It was then that my friends came over, one of which began laughing as he saw a lone Daemon Prince on the opponent's side of the table, and piles of dead marines on the other being packed up by an enraged Fists player. The other just asked how it went. I told them that at first I was scared of their Chapter Tactic, but then the Daemon Prince was so powerful on his own that he was able to wipe out whole squads in a phase. Then, the guy who was laughing stopped, and his face turned to the most wide-eyed expression the man could make, as he turned slowly to face the raging loyalist.

"You're cheating with Space Marines, and calling a brand new player with a single Daemon Prince overpowered?"

The rager immediately stopped what he was doing and turned pale, and quickly tried to cover up his lies. My friend pulled his copy of the codex, and slammed it down next to the now-cheater, open on the Chapter Tactics page. "Really? I sure don't see a line that says you have twin-linked all the time! Do you? Please, enlighten me!"

The player cried "But the Daemon Prince is still overpowered! He killed almost all of my army like it was nothing!"

"That's because you were using a stupid strategy that you bolstered by trying to cheat. Next time, actually play the game by the rules, and build an army that follows them."

The cheater then stormed out of the store, and we didn't see him again until recently, trying to sell off some old Imperial Fist models.

Moahahaha!!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I hate cheaters... But it makes them 10 times better to wipe!
It's amazing the kind of lies people come up with if they think you don't know the rules... Often accompanied by a forgeten codex if you call them out on it as well...

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts

This just made my evening.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I play a very balanced marine army that I've put together to face a lot of contingencies.

My usual opponent is Dark Eldar and I tend to beat him, he's a tournament player but considers me one of the best in the store despite my nervousness and not that much of a steady grasp of the rules, but I have my marines down to a T imo, which I think is due to my anxiety that makes me worried so much I end up planning for all eventualities.

I have a thunderfire cannon if in case someone decides to camp or to ignore cover, my squads are small and spread out and supported by lighter tanks like Razorbacks so that he can't focus fire units to death, usually ends up meaning my small squads actually survive. You get the picture, problem is people already consider space marines OP any way and because I put loads of planning they now consider me to be a "power gamer".

I really want to prove I don't just play an over powered army but I'm worried about trying different things.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts