Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Project Log Front Page: Updated 28.NOV.11

See below a summary and single image of each unit of Wolves I have completed so far, the rest of the Project Log has more photos of each unit as they were completed and WIPs - feel free to browse!

Current WIP: Long Fangs Pack

Logan Grimnar:

Njal Stormcaller:

Wolf Lord - Odin Redclaw:

Rune Priest 1:

Rune Priest 2 & Wolf Guard

Bjorn The Fell Handed/Venerable Dreadnaught:

Arjac Rockfist:

Wolf Guard with Cyclone:

Wolf Guard Terminators:

Grey Hunters Pack 1:

Grey Hunters Pack 2:

Grey Hunters Pack 3:

Grey Hunters Pack 4:

Blood Claws Pack: (Actually need a more upto date image of these - theres now 14 of them painted up!)

Wolf Scouts:

Drop Pod:

Grey Hunters Rhino 1:

Grey Hunters Rhino 2:

Landraider Crusader "Hammer of Fenris":

<<Snip>>

(((Original 1st post below))

Seeing as I switched Armies this month from Guard to Space Wolves for the Army Painting challenge 2011 I thought I'd do a project log to chronicle my army as it grows!

I'm really happy with the paint job on the models with these guys, I've only been into the hobby for around the past 12 months and I've seen my painting ability grow and grow and these are the best I've been able to put out thus far.

I'm also really enjoying painting Space Wolves, I want to make each one his own character, there will be no helmets and each will be as individual as possible. I've got some bits on the way for some awesome conversions which I'll post later this week.

Now, not much to begin with, all I've got done so far is...

Aprils Entry: A Grey Hunters Rhino

And 5 of my pack of 14 Blood Claws

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
These are looking really great! For being a year into the hobby you are definitely doing well in the painting department and you will only continue to improve from here.

A few things: The faces and hair are both really well done. Lots of definition in them and in the other details like the loin cloths, skulls and bone bits. But when put next to these things the armor looks flat. I like the dark feel that you have gone with the grey, but I would really consider adding a layer or two of highlighting just to bring the armor up to the same level as the other stuff.

Once again good work and I look forward to following your log.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are looking really great! For being a year into the hobby you are definitely doing well in the painting department and you will only continue to improve from here.

A few things: The faces and hair are both really well done. Lots of definition in them and in the other details like the loin cloths, skulls and bone bits. But when put next to these things the armor looks flat. I like the dark feel that you have gone with the grey, but I would really consider adding a layer or two of highlighting just to bring the armor up to the same level as the other stuff.

Once again good work and I look forward to following your log.
Midge thanks for the great reply, With the armour i've dry brushed a lighter grey after applying a wash of badab black in a weak attempt at highlighting. I've not branched out to 'propper' highlighting yet but I'd love to give it a shot, I'll have a go and post the results :biggrin:

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Sounds good mate! Actually drybrushing, done properly, will give you a great template as tow where natural highlights will fall. From there it is just working with watered down layers to build the highlights up gradually. I look forward to your results.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
yeah your armor does need abit more highlighting, but its looking amazing otherwise.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
highlights are very nicely done +rep

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well planned for this week, to fit in with my goal of each Space Wolf being his own 'character' (ie as unique as possible) I have the following conversions planned:

- A Blood Claw with a Chain Axe
- A Wolf Guard that's done a tour with the Deathwatch, custom bolter and Deathwatch shoulder pad on him but back in his Space Wolf colours
- A Rune Priest in power armour scratch built with a Halberd as his force weapon in the same pose as the Librarian below:

Thanks again for the great comments guys.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I would suggest little things like drilling out the barrels on your weapons. Also you have some mold lines on the arms and watch how you remove the guns from the sprue, looks like you tore one off damaging the barrel of the BP.

In places like the chest around the armpits do a couple coats of black wash to add some depth and shadow.

The models are looking great and for one year in I am impressed. Very nice.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would suggest little things like drilling out the barrels on your weapons. Also you have some mold lines on the arms and watch how you remove the guns from the sprue, looks like you tore one off damaging the barrel of the BP.

In places like the chest around the armpits do a couple coats of black wash to add some depth and shadow.

The models are looking great and for one year in I am impressed. Very nice.

Thanks for the feedback Djinn, being a regular viewer and a fan of your work your feedbacks hugely appreciated.

- I've never drilled barrels before, I'll look up some online Tutorials for it because I agree the models look much better with them drilled

- Mould Lines I leave out of fear of butchering the model in an attempt to remove them, again this is something I'm going to have to practice

- The extra badab washes I'll look at immediately (this is atleast within my skill set!)

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,564 Posts
- Mould Lines I leave out of fear of butchering the model in an attempt to remove them, again this is something I'm going to have to practice
Try holding the blade of your knife at one end of the line angled along the line, then draw the blade along the line. As the sharp edge is facing away form the direction of travel it does not bite hard so you can scrape the line without cutting into the model.

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
As to mold lines picking up a set of files will help tremendously. Diamond files do a very nice job and there is less chance of marring the model.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts