Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Action-adventure game Hero Poster Pc game Fictional character

Hi folks,

I got myself a copy of Mantic's Mars Attacks at the end of last year when it was released. As I am enjoying painting it up and putting it together, I thought it would be a good idea to make a project log out of it. I guess everybody knows what Mars Attacks is, either from the film or trading cards, so I won't bother going on about that. But I'll say a little about the box set itself for those who don't have a copy.

The models in the game are one part, meaning that no glueing is needed and they are already on their bases. (Actually the martians are two pieces if you include the iconic clear dome helmet.) Although this does take away some of the hobby aspect, it does mean the game is ready to go straight from the box. The fact that each model is in a different pose does help the fact that they are already “stuck together”. The models themselves are very nice quality. The details are good for one part models. A couple of them were slightly bent out of shape, but this is easily sorted with the hot water trick. The buildings are quite clever. If you're familiar with Deadzone, you'll know how they work. Basically you get a set of walls and connectors and you can construct them how you wish. There is a good selection of scenery in the box including bins, mail boxes, fences and barricades, to make your game mat look pretty. You also get a bunch of 8 sided dice and a deck of cards which are used in game for random events and stuff.

So anyway, the first thing I wanted to do was make myself a modular gaming board. Playing on the same game mat, I think, could probably get repetative and having a bit of variation would be good. After thinking through a few designs, I decided to go for 1 foot squares. This means I would need to make four of them to make up the full size 2 foot square board. I went for a T junction design to start off with and I'll be adding new squares in the future.

The boards are made with thick foam board, built up with more of the same. The squares on top are thin card (cereal boxes). The kerbs are made out of wooden dowel. This helps hide the edging on the foam card. The roads are sandpaper. I started to paint the boards with a sponge using a stippling effect, but it just didn't look right. In the end I gave them a layer of sand before painting them up. I'm quite happy with how they have turned out. When I make another board up, I'll make sure to take some work in progress photos.

With the board done the next step is the buildings and scenery. Thanks for reading and I'll try to keep you up to date with my progress. Any questions please ask.

Floor Tile Asphalt Flooring Road surface Tile Floor Textile Flooring Wood

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update for you. The scenery is coming along nicely, and proving good fun to paint. I've promised myself I'd get all the scenery done before I can start painting the models. :grin:

Chocolate Sign

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another quick update for you, more scenery. If you are into Bolt Action or similar WW games then this scenery would work really well.

Wall Furniture Animation Wood Table

Once the scenery is done I think I'll paint up a couple of the heroes next.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, finally got all the scenery done. I've put a couple of Iron Warriors in the pictures to show the scale of the buildings. Like I mentioned before, these would work really well on any wargaming tabletop.

Wood Miniature Furniture woodworking Art Wall Playset Ruins Architecture Miniature

I'll take some pictures of the board set up with the scenery at the weekend when I've got some better light. I'm also working on a Martian, trying out which colours to use. I'll take a photo of him when its done. Any comments are welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Very disciplined putting time into the scenery first, which, by the way, is looking great!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks great... I'd love to see a pic of the gaming board...
I'll set the board up over the weekend when I've got some daylight and take a couple of pics. :)

Very disciplined putting time into the scenery first, which, by the way, is looking great!
Thank you. The scenery was fun to paint, with it being something different from regular models. I also thought if I got the scenery done, then I could paint up the martians, soldiers and heroes as and when I needed them for the scenarios.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Like has been said, good on you for getting the scenery out of the way first rather than the fun that is the actual minis themselves--though admittedly, the scenery can be used for multiple settings like, say, 40k too, at the same time. I would definitely be interested in seeing just how the actual kit's minis stack up against that Iron Warrior though, I would say...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts