Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Blood Angels 1750 point army
for general gaming / all comers
HQ
Commander Dante - with Sanguinary Guard

Elites
Furioso Dreadnought Librarian (Wings of Sanguinius & Fear of the Darkness) w/Extra Armor - in Stormraven
Brother Corbulo (Sanguinary High Priest) - with Razorback RAS
Brother Constantine (Sanguinary Priest) w/Jump Pack & Powersword - with Sanguinary Guard

Troops
Sanguinary Guard w/Power Fist & Chapter Banner
10 RAS w/Thunder Hammer & 2 Melta Guns
5 RAS w/Power Sword, Infernus Pistol, Melta Gun and Razorback w/twin Heavy Flamers & Hunter-Killer Missile

Fast Attack
6 VAS w/Jump Packs, Thunder Hammer & paired Lightning Claws

Heavy Support
Stormraven w/Typhoon Missile Pods & Locator Beacon.

What do you all think? I had DC instead of the VAS in earlier versions. But I've found I need the Heroic Intervention of the VAS.

Particularly after the game tonight where two of my three DSing units suffered Fatal Mishaps. And Dante + SG + SP + Librarian rolled double ones to assault some Broadsides 1.1" into the trees. At least the Sanguinary Guard standard bearer survived for the next 4 turns. :picknose:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Three days and not a single comment? I must be the single greatest list builder known to modern science!:sarcastichand:

Seriously? Nothing?

Oh well. Here's the reason for the latest update. I finally built a Force Weapon I like for my Furioso Librarian.

What do y'all think. See? There is a reason for the Tau to exist after all!:wink:

·
Registered
648 Posts
You have a ton of expensive toys and you suffer from the "all eggs in one basket" problem. I'm actually surprised that it's 1750, it seems so much smaller.

I think it would pay to have more support units. Autolas Preds, Rifleman Dreads, even las/plas Razorbacks would help out at range. Alternatively, spring for 2 Ravens, load them up and follow up with units arriving via Descent of Angels.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Eggs in which basket? I've got 4 scoring and 3 denial units. The Librarian Dread fills two rolls for about 66% the cost and 90% of the effectiveness of doing the same thing with a Furioso and a JP Librarian. The Stormraven is my Land Raider equivalent and has been much more useful than any version of LR I've ever fielded. And Dante is... DANTE! The only expensive "toys" in the list are the VAS. And Heroic Intervention makes them a lot closer to must have than toys. Sure, I could replace the Sanguinary Guard with an RAS-10 but what does that actually gain for me? Trading 4 Power Fist and 16 Power Weapon (4 re-rolls to hit) attacks for 3 Power Fist and 25 basic attacks doesn't seem like a bargain to me. If, and it's a big if, I'm doing the math correctly the SG alone will kill around 8 MEQs* on the charge. And the RAS-10 will kill... 4-5? And both of those are before adding in more PW attacks from Dante and/or the SP.
*assumes FC

And while I'd love to put bigger guns on the Razorback, I've yet to be disappointed with the Heavy Flamers.

If you've got some suggestions on what to cut and replace with the units you are suggesting? As with anyone creating a list I can defend/rationalize my choices so I need you guys to show me where I'm wrong and how much cooler your fix actually is.:eek:k:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know, I kind of like it. I really like the modification on your dreadnaught as well. I just get the impression that the unit count is really really low. Not something i've heard a lot of good things on the board in general. How would you deal with a horde army like tyranids or orks?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Well, you've got the solo Raven carrying a good chunk of your army. Ravens are always going to be expensive, so it pays to have other units that can do the job should it run into problems.

Dante is awesome indeed, but he's pricey. Once you start taking Lib Dreads, a Raven, Dante, and Sanguinary Guard all together you end up with very little left for the rest of your army.

Lots of toys. Good toys, but expensive. In an army like this, 1-2 bad rolls can cost you the game since you have so few models and very little redundancy. Focusing on one particular element (Dante or the Raven) and building an army that can go along with it would get you an army less prone to getting screwed by some bad rolls.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Against hordes a sort of "Refused Flank" is your best option. While I lack the general long range fire of Tactical Squads, etc. I can still keep the area in which the enemy can reach me rather small. That allows for good mutual support and even counter attacks. So both RAS, the Dreadnought and Corbulo start in what ever part of my deployment gives me the best cover and ability to channel the enemy. It actually doesn't have to be very much of either to work. This lets Dante/SG/SP, the Stormraven and the VAS either come in from reserves or Deep Strike. Against the stupid "Bug horde of :ireful2: fearless little critters" I can have a tough time. But it's amazing what happens when you lay twin linked Heavy Flamers over that tight packed unit. Orks aren't nearly as difficult since you can beat them up enough to make them break. FotD comes in very handy then or if I've knocked smaller bugs out of Synapse Range.

But what if I had this list?
Blood Angels 1750 point army
for general gaming / all comers
HQ
Commander Dante - with Sanguinary Guard

Elites
Furioso Dreadnought Librarian w/Extra Armor - in Stormraven
Brother Corbulo (Sanguinary High Priest) - with Razorback RAS
Brother Constantine (Sanguinary Priest) w/Jump Pack & Powersword - with Sanguinary Guard

Troops
Sanguinary Guard w/Infernus Pistol, Power Fist & Chapter Banner
10 RAS w/Thunder Hammer & 2 Melta Guns
5 RAS w/Power Sword & Flamer
5 RAS w/Infernus Pistol, Power Sword, Melta Gun and Razorback w/twin Heavy Flamers & Hunter-Killer Missile

Heavy Support
Dreadnought w/dual twin-linked Autocannons
Stormraven w/Typhoon Missile Pods & Locator Beacon

Does that make folks more comfortable with the numbers of units vs cost per unit?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts