Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I played a game the other day, and I feel like these were completely and totally abused. The person was taking an extra attack at Initiative for every hit made and putting it in the general wound pool against my Guardsmen. Now that I've come home and read the rules, let's see if I have this right. For relevance and to stop people from having to do too much book reading:

If a Maulerfiend hits with at least one Attack in the Fight
sub-phase, it may make an additional Attack with one of its
magma cutters against one of the models it hit. If it hit with
all of its Attacks, it instead makes two additional Attacks with
its magma cutters against one of the models it hit. These
Attacks hit automatically and are resolved at Initiative 1 with
the following profile
It then goes on to list S8 AP1 Armourbane but that doesn't copy/paste so easy. So my question is this:

If the Maulerfiend kills every model it hits (which it was easily doing against Guard in CC) does it still get to make its Magma Cutter attacks? I've put in bold the relevant lines for my argument. Since these attacks are at a different Initiative step and are not in the Maulerfiend's wound pool at I3 I'm thinking I got scammed a bit. I'm not really upset and the person I was facing will hopefully look at this as a friendly correction when I speak to them next, but I would like to get it straight since I've been facing a few different CSM armies these days.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The Maulers only deal the hit(s) against the original model(s) that they hit, like you suspect. If it were a Knight, or something, then after you've resolved your S10 attacks, you get those S8 Armorbane ones against the Knight--that's the sort of dedicated anti-tank it's good at. So it only gets the hits on any tank, T6+ model, etc, that it hits and doesn't splatter.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm..interesting. While it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the match, that's a LOT less Guardsman dead when considering it charged a 30 man blob with a Stubborn Inquisitor attached T3 (I was silly with my movements) and stayed stuck in until T6.

Melta bombs have been added to the sergeants after that one.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
The only real way that this could be worked if a sarge or character was getting hit and LoS rolls were being applied.

But ya, the Magma cutters = anti armor.

I can't remember what the lasher tendrils do, lowers enemies I? I felt was always a better option when using it as an anti infantry (usually heavier infantry in my case).

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
...and since a Mauler has 2 sets of lashers, if it's in base contact with, say, a squad of 6 Wraiths, that's 12 fewer S6 Rending attacks coming your way, lowering their attacks by 2/3 (or 1/2 if they assaulted, but you should ideally have jokeyed/baited them into a position where you assaulted), meaning those Wraiths basically have mere Rending krak grenades. Lashers are great against TWC, med-attack number MCs, light shredders like Daemonettes and Genestealers, Termis with Daemon-/Thunder Hammers, Melee walkers...

Less effective against units swapping all their attacks for, say, a krak grenade/melta, and may well force enemy MCs to swap all their attacks for a S10 Smash, so you need to recognize that the thing the Maulerfiend is slowing down is still going to be able to get some painful damage through, your Invuln aside... and with only 3 WS3 attacks per turn, sans free melta hit(s) thanks to lashers, you can't rely on actually taking out whatever you're hitting. When those Wraiths fail a 3++ it's nice to see them get ID'ed by S10, though. You're essentially dragging an enemy nasty unit down to your level of killiness, rather than joining them on their super-expensive points plateau.

A small but relevant addition: if you want to assault a unit of your own into this gimped enemy super-unit, then make sure not to end up in base contact with your own 'Fiend, since it will drag you down just as badly. Single-character units like a Daemon Prince should be able to manage, assaulting into the far side of the squad and being careful with post-casualty consolidation, but... a multi-model unit may be forced to wrap around into base with your own 'Fiend, making it difficult to field the lasher-fellow as anything but a time-buying tarpit (who still is decent Anti-Tank, with 3 S10 attacks per turn).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Melta bombs have been added to the sergeants after that one.
a 30 man blob is better served with krak grenades, imo. 20-30 Str 6 attacks are reliable when it come to hullstripping an AV12 model. in 2 turns you are done.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
a 30 man blob is better served with krak grenades
I realized as I was looking into solving this issue that I could equip those for 30 points but the MBs are 15, and there's plenty of ablative wounds that I'll get my attacks in. Getting the other 15 points out of the list I was running is...problematic. The biggest reason I could see to want to give everyone Krak grenades is to avoid Explodes! results taking out half your remaining blob thanks to 5+ saves. Either way, I appreciate the thought and will try it both ways to see which garners the better results in my gaming group.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
to avoid Explodes! results taking out half your remaining blob
exactly...my problem was that, since i happen to roll high only when not needed. However, it depends on your meta. Mine is lacking AV13 walkers, so i'm good with lots of krak (i'm talking about renegades, and not "that" type of krak...altough i'm slaaneshi, so..)
anyhow, i can see it hard to find another 15 pts for such a trifle thing. triple melta can be good enough.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is lacking AV13 walkers
Lots of AV13 in my meta, just not in the CSM lists. I wanna say around/over half the armies in the League I've been playing in are SM/SW armies and all of them bring AV13 Walkers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts