Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a Uge Choppa confer any other bonus above the +2S of a Big Choppa? I have done a search but could not find the answer. I am also assuming the Twin Linked shoota is a double barrelled Shoota with the re-roll ability. Apologies if these questions seem a bit common noodle but I am finding the Ork Codex a bit patchy.

Thanks.

Chim

P.S. almost forgot to ask! If you change some of your Loota's to Mek's do they come with force fields and all the other Mek bits?

·
Registered
387 Posts
i have had a quick scan through the wargear section of the codex and can't see a uge chopper listed if you can tell me a page number i can read it and probs shine some light on this question for you

the Twin Linked shoota is just a normal shoota with the re-roll so you are right here

The meks when you upgrade from lootas have the profile listed in the lootas section and they change thier deffgun in for mek's tools and a kustom mega-blaster the rules for both can be found on page 34 of the codex under mekboyz

hope i have been of some use to you

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the swift responses Maugoth & Baron. They have certainly cleared up my queries. The only one I am a little confused on is the Uge Choppa. Why would they have a standard Choppa, Big Choppa & then the Uge Choppa which is basically the same as a Big Choppa. It strange it confers no extra bonus. They may have well have called it a Double Handed Big Choppa but then why would you take a Uge Choppa over a Big Choppa and a Slugga, Weird indeed!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Uge choppas are in the Savage ork codex, but I didn't think they were mentioned in the new one. Where are you getting this from?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am probably making this more comlicated than it needs to be but the way I am reading this is the Uge Choppa does not limit you to one weapon i.e. could also have a Slugga but when in close Combat the Uge Choppa counts as double handed. Like they used to say in Soap "confused? You will be!". I am a logic sort of guy and the logic of the Uge Choppa is sort of hard for me to follow as to why you would take one over a Big Choppa and a slugga or even a Shoota for that matter.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I got confused myself- You can't take a 'Uge choppa any more it's been replaced by the Big Choppa.
So are the big double handed Choppas in the plastic kits basically Big Choppas. I am not sure my sanity is still in check on this one :scratchhead:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep- those are Big Choppas (well they don't have to be if converted but that's whole other kettle of fish).
Cool, so an Ork model could carry one of those double handed Choppas and still count as carrying a Slugga or am I about to send us both around the twist.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am on the same script as you now Baron. Still seems weird they would produce a weapon like this as you would have to be mad not to take the single handed Big Choppa and a Slugga as opposed to the double handed Big Choppa. It's a GW thing I guess.

As always Baron it's been a pleasure. Thanks for being patient with your responses.

Chim.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Its clearly writen in the ork dex on pg. 89 at the begining of the wargear section, that all Big Chopas are Two handed.

Two/one handed weapons dont limit how many weapons you can carry. Its normal for model to carry one two handed CC weapon and pistol for example.

Lets say that your ork have pistol and big chopa .... he shots and then he will hold the big chopa in both hands in CC.

Uge chopa dont exist anymore.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am on the same script as you now Baron. Still seems weird they would produce a weapon like this as you would have to be mad not to take the single handed Big Choppa and a Slugga as opposed to the double handed Big Choppa. It's a GW thing I guess.
There is no one handed big choppa :) the standard gear is a choppa and a slugga.
If you want to take a big choppa you have to change in your (normal) choppa and pay some points to get it.

That leaves you with a big choppa and a slugga, this means you can still use the slugga before you assault and then in combat gives your +2 str but it removes the extra attack that you would have gotten of the slugga (if still equiped with the normal choppa).

Also remember that on the charge you also get furious charge so in the first turn of combat when you charges a nob with a big choppa gets a total strength of 7 (4str +2 from big choppa +1 from Furious charge)

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
You have 3 options of weapons to use:

Choppa - 1 handed
Slugga - 1 handed
Big Choppa - 2 handed

By default you have the Choppa and the Slugga. This grants you +1 Attack because you have 2 close combat weapons.

You have the option to upgrade the Choppa to a Big Choppa, and you will then lose the +1 Attack (because it is 2-handed) but you will gain +2 Strength from the Big Choppa special rule.

It's your choice as to whether you want to have the extra attack, or the higher strength. The extra attack is useful against low Toughness infantry, and the +2 Strength is useful for killing vehicles (for example). However you cannot have both, because the Big Choppa replaces the default Choppa.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think the Codex and the kits has confused me a little and to be honest after the extra comments I have become a little more confused. I will try to expalin whats causing me the confusion below.

First of all the Nobz plastic kits. They have two styles of Choppa. A big double handed one and then what looks like a single handed but still substantial Choppa. You then have the Choppas in the Boyz kits again single handed but substantially smaller than the Nobz ones which look powered. So my question here is in the plastic kits which are normal Choppas and which are big Choppas.

Secondly in the Codex on page 76 it made reference to a Uge Choppa which really caused me to make this post as I thought this was some sort of super Choppa and couldn't find the rule for ot. Agreed it says the Big Choppas on page 89 are double handed but then on page 90 it has a picture of a big Choppa which looks single handed, which then leads me to believe the axes in the Nobz kit are all big Choppas.

Hopefully you can see my confusion which translates across the Codex and the kits.

What a load of Choppas :biggrin:

Chim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts