Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First it seems many dissaprove of the Possessed and their random chart rule. Seeing as you're hoping for a beneficial trait right from the beginning and instead you get something that doesn't benefit at all. So I was thinking maybe they could drop the random chart and instead have a list of different abilities set at reasonable points cost and the chaos player can pick three abilities for his Possessed (sort of like 3.5 ed).

Now ofcourse in the beginning this would lead to a variety of Possessed units :so_happy: until some powergamer finds a combo that's just sick :shok: and then spams it to everyone else :mad: .

But I think it would make the Possessed worth taking again. What do you guys think? If someone else has already commented on such well I've done it again :laugh:

Part 2 of my thread deals with WYSIWYG. If you played against a player who brought lets say an Empreror's Children army and he took Khorne Bezerkers, but instead of them being Khorne Bezerkers he called them something like Slaanesh Beautiful Touch :scratchhead: (or whatever basically using the Bezerker unit's stats but calling them and modeling them to be more Slaanesh). Now the models are clearly carrying the weapons of the Bezerkers (CCW and Bolt Pistol) and follow the rules exactly. Would you accept this in your friendly game or even a Tournament? I came up with this idea because I noticed people were using other codexes to represent their chosen army (i.e. using the Codex: BA for a Night Lords army. I want a fully Slaanesh army (and I will have Noise Marines) but I think it would be cool to take a unit that's fully close combat oriented (like Zerkers) but model them in a slaanesh way. Anyway would you accept this?

Part 3: Do you believe Noise Marines are over priced? Your other cult options are only a mere 1 or 2 points more and come with way more special rules. To boot a Noise Marine must pay additonal points for his Sonic Blaster. I mean honestly the only difference between him and a normal marine is +1 Initiative and he's Fearless.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
ha noise marines to expensive man if they were any cheaper they would be the cheese of chaos if they were less everyone would take them because of the weapon options lets face it blast masters and doom sirens are rediculosly awesome and for cheaper cost everyone would run noise marines. thats just the way it is, and trust me there is a lot of players and their different armies who would kill to have initiative 5 and fearless besides thats only 5 points more between a generic CSM so that is a really good deal.
now to answer your second question no i dont think its a big deal to run your own moded models as another unit in a game as long as it can be honestly considered that unit. like if you were to run khorne bezerkers but have a moded group of models that resemble slaanesh its fine as long as the resemble bezerkers as well closecombat weapons and maybe even tuck a couple of khorne symbols in there. but thats just what i think some other anal players might disagree. and about the codex thing i think it is perfectly fine my fcousin a 10 year veteran of chaos space marine Iron Warriors uses the blood angels codex because it is a shooty and assualt army just like the warriors. so i think its fine as long as there is no confusion over the blood angels stats and abilities.

·
4,491 Posts
Part 1: Wait for a new codex, or play them how they are. Once you start changing rules, opponents will feel cheated if you win.

Part 2: Sure. I dont see why not.

Part 3: Yeh they are a little overcosted, but running a unit of 5 with a Blastmaster is an excellent way to get more blasts into a Lash list without spending "dead points" on troops.
This is the only time i would ever run them though.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh the first part was simply a suggestion they could consider in the next codex. Yes I know none of them are reading this, but I wondered what others players felt about that being an option.

Yeah Slaanesh is the only Chaos power that appeals to me and it just seems like 25 points for a Sonic Blaster armed Noise Marine versus a Khorne Bezerker for 21? points os a bit over priced.

Oh in addition I don't mind the Possessed they way they are now (eventhough I hate the models), but I figured it would get some of players who absolutely hate them playing with them again.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
you have to remember that it is 2 shots assualt and you can take a doom siren. you will kill a khorne berzerker squad before they ever got to hit you. doom siren S5 ap3. unless bezerkers armor is 2 then i think they will die with no save then you have 2 shots from 9 other guys thats 18 shots before you even get into combat you are more than likly going to whipe the bezerker squad before your assualt phaze and if they still manged to survive there would be like 1-2 models alive to fight which you assualt so your first you have 4 attacks with the sergant at I5 power weapon you will kill whats left if it some how managed to survive the shooting phaze. i know because i have ran noise marines and i always take 6 troop choices and i have never lost to khorne player or a nurgle player or a tzentch player or a generic player the only army i have ever lost to at my shop is an ig guy that has 9 basalisks in his list and vendettas to kill my rhinos so i mean you probablly wont lose a game with a 10 man squad of noise marine squad unless you suck at tactics. believe me nothing has ever survived the shooting phaze before i actually stoped taking sonic blasters because i would kill the enemy squad off before assualt i wouldnt be locked in combat for their shooting phase. my advice is take a 5 man squad in a rhino and take a champion with a power sword and a doom siren with a blastmaster in the squad no sonic blasters and sit them on the back of the board and pop shot those blastmasters untill eventually soemthing gets within range of 12 then you disembark you move up 6 shoot the doom siren you are almost guaranteed to kill off 7 of 10 marines with it if you have a good shot then assualt fire the blast master bolt pistol and assualt whats left with a power sword I5. its flawless ive used numerous times and beat a necron player 2500 point game and only lost 2 marines out of a havoc squad. well i guess and a twin link bolter off my rhino but thats it i army killed him on the 4th turn because he could never get his shit close enough to shoot and i lashed his warriors in front of doom siren template. thats my tid bit on noise marines

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
First it seems many dissaprove of the Possessed and their random chart rule. Seeing as you're hoping for a beneficial trait right from the beginning and instead you get something that doesn't benefit at all. So I was thinking maybe they could drop the random chart and instead have a list of different abilities set at reasonable points cost and the chaos player can pick three abilities for his Possessed (sort of like 3.5 ed).

Now ofcourse in the beginning this would lead to a variety of Possessed units :so_happy: until some powergamer finds a combo that's just sick :shok: and then spams it to everyone else :mad: .

But I think it would make the Possessed worth taking again. What do you guys think? If someone else has already commented on such well I've done it again :laugh:

I have a friend who uses them with Kharn so that if Kharn get too blood hungry he gets invunrable saves. Most think they arn't worth it but just becuase something is outshowed by others doesn't make them useless.

Part 2 of my thread deals with WYSIWYG. If you played against a player who brought lets say an Empreror's Children army and he took Khorne Bezerkers, but instead of them being Khorne Bezerkers he called them something like Slaanesh Beautiful Touch :scratchhead: (or whatever basically using the Bezerker unit's stats but calling them and modeling them to be more Slaanesh). Now the models are clearly carrying the weapons of the Bezerkers (CCW and Bolt Pistol) and follow the rules exactly. Would you accept this in your friendly game or even a Tournament? I came up with this idea because I noticed people were using other codexes to represent their chosen army (i.e. using the Codex: BA for a Night Lords army. I want a fully Slaanesh army (and I will have Noise Marines) but I think it would be cool to take a unit that's fully close combat oriented (like Zerkers) but model them in a slaanesh way. Anyway would you accept this?

Fluff wise i would have to put a bullet in your head but play wise i don't see why not really...however you might have to try and make up somethign fluffy to replace the makr of Khorne for somethign like that Mark af Slaneesh swiftness

Part 3: Do you believe Noise Marines are over priced? Your other cult options are only a mere 1 or 2 points more and come with way more special rules. To boot a Noise Marine must pay additonal points for his Sonic Blaster. I mean honestly the only difference between him and a normal marine is +1 Initiative and he's Fearless.

They are good....as logn as you don't start paying for a million sonic weapons. Just take them basic with that flame weapon. Or =use them as Havocs and get in a blaster master and a few sonic wepaons(about 4 tops) and start shooting at range with there heavyer versions
Answers in red

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i prefer what your on to with the possesed marines, infact thats how they used to be in the old codex :D

you bought regualr chaos marines and then paid for a spacific mutaion e.g. flight, talons, fire, visage, mutation.

was alot better :(

·
Registered
644 Posts
I like the idea of turning Zerkers into something more fluffy. I was actually debating this and having trouble with it, but this is a clear answer. Thanks for the inadvertent advice!

That extra 1 Intiative could mean the difference between life or death depending on the circumstances. I actually have no Noise Marines at present, but have been thinking about picking up some. I have seen a list where the 5 Noise Marines have been used in a sort of Havoc style. That might be a good option.

5tonsledge, if I am not mistaken, to further your fantastic tactical advice, Blastmasters, I believe, are pinning, so you could even sit back, pin their units, and butcher them with other models.

the-ad-man, 3rd Ed Codex was great. They made Possessed a great multipurpose unit that could be adapted for whatever scenario you needed them more. I hope that is something they reconsider for the future.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically the unit that's using the 'Zerkers stats ofcourse would not be 'Zerkers just like players using a Night Lords army aren't Blood Angels, just because they're using the Blood Angels Codex.

I would ofcourse create some interesting fluff as to who this unit represents, maybe even saying their blessed with weird passionate drive from Slaanesh or whatever.

Glad I come inadvertently help Tzeen.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I appreciate it.

Quite frankly, I have always disapproved of people using other Codices for certain armies, like the Blood Angels codex for Night Lords example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts