Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinking of getting a dark angels army and i have a few questions?

What codex version are the dark angels using and is there any expected updates soon?

can the dark angels be used competitively?

does anyone use ravenwing armys or deathwing armys more often?

how do you model the units? e.g. could i use a normal terminator combat squad with just a few additions from the dark angels chapter upgrade set?

knowing that i will be facing orks and eventually chaos marines and daemons will be at a disadvantage with dark angels?

sorry for all the questions but cheers for the help in advanced

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
1. 4th Ed

2. Not well.

3. They are fairly common and most people actually use a combination of the two.

4. Yeah, sure you could. There are some nice FW bits aswell.

5. I got out of dark angels the momment SW came out so I don't know much about how they play, but I will say that your lower model count will hurt you.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They are a fun army, but yeah. GW doesn't seem to like them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I played dark angels briefly before realizing the greatness of Chaos, and I found that Although they can be a great looking army, I didnt really like their rules. You could always use the vanilla marines or some other marine codex, of even csm (my vote)

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
the codex has its faults but is still competitive. it really just comes down to the way you want to play.

its very easy to use the regular terminaators and just model them with the dark angels upgrade sprue.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I heard of one guy who had placed quite well in a Tournament with a pure Deathwing army, and in his opinion they were both fun to play, and a competive army... But it is up to the tactics...

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I heard of one guy who had placed quite well in a Tournament with a pure Deathwing army, and in his opinion they were both fun to play, and a competive army... But it is up to the tactics...
Yeah, Deathwing can actually be pretty good. I recently got kicked around by a Deathwing army despite having every tool I needed to take them down. I wouldn't rate Deathwing as a super competitive army but they can be decent.

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
Deathwing are far from competitive because of its "coin-flip" nature. You're either going to win big, or get your ass smeared. Deathraven, on the other hand, can be consistently devastating, but it takes a better commander than I to do it.

Nowadays, I just use the vanilla SM dex and take Cato, because he's a closet Dark Angel.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Actually Im pretty sure he doesnt. Maybe a distant second to tzeentch, but still far superior to the false emperor.

·
Registered
211 Posts
You mean to tell me Dark Angels arent Chaos? Oh my...Haha.. You can make what you want out of them. Definatly a slightly different list. I like them. I also have a Chaos army that the models are interchangeable...Chaos is in the eye after all....:shok:

·
Registered
324 Posts
if you want to do Dark Angels but are worried about not being competitive, don't use CSM rules. Kirby wrote a very nice series of articles here detailing why. Also, if you go to the more recent articles in that blog, you can find a very nice series of articles in progress which explain how to build a good Vanilla Marine army.

other than that, make a vanilla army of marines in robes, and voila! :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts