Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a good slim-line (say 150-200pts) rules variant for 40K? Necromunda looks good so far, but makes quite a number of changes to the core rules, and I am trying to introduce my family to 40K. I also looked at Warhammer (FB) Skirmish, but am completely unfamiliar with the FB rules. I also like the idea of Kill Team, but it seems a little lopsided as the "bad guy" (the one with the Brute squads) really has no say in how his force will look.

So, any thoughts? If not, I will have a go at drafting some, then I'll need some help playtesting them!

Ta!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Sorry not really other than stuff like necromunda, which as you say is a very different game to 40k and just as complicated in its way. What about the combat patrol rules and using 400 point armies? Its a good starting point and as long as no one goes crazy trying to make broken lists its usually very fun to play

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I made this (www.geocities.com/cilionelle/wh40kskirm.pdf) today. Please critique (gently) and please, please playtest it. If it doesn't work, I will go back to the drawing board, but basically it's a combo of Kill Team and Necromunda.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
18 Posts
You should try the Combat Patrol Rules, also in the big green book. Max size is 400 one troop compulsory... lots of fun.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
The original poster said kill-team was undesireable because the 'goons' player doesn;t really get any choice or customization. I say two things in regards to that.

One: They can always customize the hell out of the boss character.
and Two: You're supposed to alernate who plays the goons and who plays the kill-team, so go ahead and let everyne make their own kill team and either share a set of goons (it's family, right? Sharing is what we do), or let everyone do up a goon squad too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of the other things that I forgot to mention with Kill Team (I love the concept and look forward to playing in the future) is that we (as a family) don't yet have the models to be able to play goons. 27 Termagants, 15 Space Marines, 24 Eldar Guardians, etc. I have 10 Termagants, 13 Space Marines, 16 Guardians... and that's it. I guess substituting them would work okay (with SM scouts for regular SMs, but being SM is another story...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS: Tacoma rocks!

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
True, but any time you're trying to get yourself/others into a new game, there's bound to be at least a little forking over of the dough. And between places like battlewagon bits and ebay, you can probably get either the handful of individual models or a squad box for less than $20

For beginners, kill-team is a pretty good choice. It's quick and rules-lite.

However, if you can manage to scrape up the minis/points to field at least one troops choice, the Combat Patrol rules are the way to go. Max 400 points, requires 1 troop, max of 1 HQ (but not required) no models with 2+ saves, 3 or more wounds, or total front/side/rear AV of more than 33 (count side once) play it on a 4x4 board with the mission tules provided in that section of the book.

Edit: PS: Thanks. Seems like every time I say i'm from Washington they either assume I mean DC, or they assume I mean Seattle ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.