Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound a little...lonely? but in a small remote town with a very small table top gaming population sometimes its hard to get guys together for a game, so i was wondering if anyone has any half decent ideas on how to have some kind of solo scenarios?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I can't exactly think of much more than a normal game played just with yourself. I've thought of it, but never bothered in my 40k starved area. If you are lucky to have a copy of vassal, that would solve your problem.

>.>
<.<

·
Registered
62 Posts
This might sound a little...lonely? but in a small remote town with a very small table top gaming population sometimes its hard to get guys together for a game, so i was wondering if anyone has any half decent ideas on how to have some kind of solo scenarios?
I've tried on many occasions to do this and failed.

Vassal is great but noone uses it anymore :(

I can never find/organise a game.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hello someone requested a solo game

take any army
of 1000 points (this will be yours)

take a army tyranid army with only hormagaunts and ravengers
of 1000+ points

the goal is to destroy the tyranids

:crazy:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've found myself in the same situation. I haven't found a perfect soulution however I do have a few ideas...

1) you really have to think about senarios and objectives. Even consider a backstory. This way you can reason why the armies will do things and what they will do.

One of the problems is dealing your play style (being defensive or offense orientated) is going to normally play out in each side... plus knowing what the other force is thinking (because technically it's you) your likely going to make certian choices without a lot of "surprises"

Thus having objectives is the best avenue I've found.

Another option... small randomizers. If things get too random it's going to get into chaos or one side crushing the other, however if you make a list of some of your favorite wargear say 6 things, then just after set up and senario choice you roll 1 D6 for each side and award one different item for each side.

A little randomness can be your friend because the randomness replaces the unexpected actions from playing a live person.

If you want to get into odd numbers of random things it's easy to us a deck of cards to draw from. You could either assign items to each card or even write a different item on different index cards to draw from.

creativity is your friend here... people always want equal battles but in reality I'm not sure how many enemies get together to discuss if it's fair and balanced for each side in a real fight. Naturally you want o make it dynamic but not a slaughter.

maybe there could be a chance in each turn that an army could possibally get reinforced by a troop choice that was patrolling the area and could come in on a random table edge... or a a certian roll of a dice might mean that the unit in play misunderstood orders and didn't move, or retreats when under fire.

·
Registered
414 Posts
There are loads of people on Vassal still, I think you just need the latest module.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You could do a thing were there is a fortress with turrets who fire at the nearest unit-kill the turrets

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
You could have a scenario where you select a unit, and they have to fight their way through killzone of enemy units, one by one to survive - no bias involved :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The only good one-player game would be Inquisitor, it's kind of like a mix between D&D and 40k. And it's still better with more people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts