Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, even though I've put spoilers in the title, I'll wrap this in tags anyway.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Ok, even though I've put spoilers in the title, I'll wrap this in tags anyway.

On that last point, I totally agree with makes no sense what's so ever. Also that "you're one of his" is probably the most important thing in the story tbh as it implies stuff has gone on we've not yet read and I can't wait to read.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I really enjoyed it, yes it was predictable but I still really liked it and with there being such a shortage or decent Heresy novels it spiked my interest in the series again.

I didn't understand the twist of the dead body either, the only thing I could think of was maybe he was being prepared to go under cover.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Highly enjoyed this, especially the last third. I am very intrigued by

SPOILER-

Alpharius's mention of Magnus. I would like to know what and why they have been chatting about :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Just read this for the first time today. Really enjoyed it!

The twist of Meduson and his guys not being what they seemed may have been fairly obvious but it might be unfair to write off the story because of that; there was a bit more going on that just Meduson being XX Legion and using that to try to kill the protagonists. They were trying to track down the loyalist AL and for me the real twist was Thoic suddenly attacking his own legion (fake Alpharius) and it transpiring that the Iron Hands' plan to destroy the Alpha Legion tragically turned into the Iron Hands killing a load of loyal Alpha Legion, orchestrated by the real Alpharius ('Meduson')

In any case, I thought the writing was good and even though I suspected Meduson and his boys weren't really X Legion the build up was engaging. It's fun seeing the good guys working it out along the way- remember the Iron Hands, Raven Guard and Salamander haven't read Deliverance Lost.

The whole thing with the remote controlled ship was cool.

I'd love someone to explain the dead body turning out to be X legion though. WTF? Was that a mistake by the author? That body was recovered from a loyalist AL ship, wasn't it? So it's possible that the loyalist Alpha Legion ship could have one or two Iron Hands guys with them (they're both on the Imperial side after all) but... why would the dead guy be wearing AL armour?

·
Registered
533 Posts
By the way, for anyone that needs reminding of the plot I found this post in another thread here. It's a really good summary of the entire story

This guy also talks about the dead body thing.

edit: I see Words of Truth is already here. Great summary, thanks!

Ok I'll give the general outline as far as I can tell and if you want me to elaborate lets me know.

Hydra Dominatus.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
By the way, for anyone that needs reminding of the plot I found this post in another thread here. It's a really good summary of the entire story

This guy also talks about the dead body thing.

edit: I see Words of Truth is already here. Great summary, thanks!

Hydra Dominatus.
np :) Apologies for the bad grammar though I wrote it really quick before I had to go out.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So no one else gets the Iron Hands corpse. Reassuring.....

I didn't mind the story. But the twist was still very obvious from the outset, them killing loyalists in the end would have been less obvious if McNeill hadn't already done it on Fulgrim.

·
Registered
167 Posts
So no one else gets the Iron Hands corpse. Reassuring.....

I didn't mind the story. But the twist was still very obvious from the outset, them killing loyalists in the end would have been less obvious if McNeill hadn't already done it on Fulgrim.
I thought the Iron Hands corpse was the real Septus Thoic. When him and Frater were blown out into space, he didn't return to the ship but was instead picked up by Meduson's (Alpharius ship) and that's where the bodies, skin, armour were switched...?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No the body is from one of the 'Alpha Legion' crew that they killed in that first boarding action. The only working explanation I have, is that McNeill went with a very long winded, pointless and stupid way to tell us that some Iron Hands turned traitor and joined the Alpha Legion. Which again, is stupid to say at least.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
The only working explanation I have, is that McNeill went with a very long winded, pointless and stupid way to tell us that some Iron Hands turned traitor and joined the Alpha Legion.
Read this last night. My answer to this might be that the body was an IH rescued by the AL on Istvaan, or in the aftermath. That doesn't explain why his original prosthetic was replaced by an apparent kitbash, unless it was damaged beyond repair. Remember, this ship was bound for what turned out to be a loyalist AL installation, on that Alpharius was trying to locate. Odd that even the Primarch didn't know it's location.

There have been hints that the AL have infiltrated other Legions, maybe this guy was formerly embedded in the IHs. There did seem to be a lot of emphasis placed on the complexion of the corpse as well, and the fact that the golden hue to the skin did not fade away after death. Is the skin tone a signature of the AL geneseed? This, juxtaposed with the bionic arm, adds more confusion. That's my musings on it.

On the whole, this was merely an ok story. I got the feeling that we've missed a follow up to Legion. Maybe there is one in the works. They need it, rather than trying to tell their story through half assed cameos in bigger novels.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I'm agreeing with you... while also pointing out that this is a phenomenon that can come in other shapes and sizes, as well.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I'm agreeing with you... while also pointing out that this is a phenomenon that can come in other shapes and sizes, as well.
True. I don't think we needed a DA follow up as much as an AL one though. The inner happenings of the DA were the only ones we had any real knowledge of going into this series, and the few shorts we've had have done enough to fill the gaps, especially when you consider how bad those two novels were.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts