Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I don't think the Big E waking up would really make much difference, in the long term at least. For a short time there would be a huge rise in Imperial morale but the Imperium would still be in the same crap position it was in before he went for a nap.
The Tyranids, Necrons and Tau are new threats that weren't around during the great crusade and the Empire is no longer in a position of control that it had in the wake of the fall of the Eldar.
The only real change he could make would be to take control away from the High Lords of Terra and the Inquisition, and I'm not sure they would go quietly.

Ultimately he would have to start the whole process again and hope that the forces of Chaos were not looking.
Pull back all the Space Marine chapters back to as close to Terra as was safe and start conquering worlds again, either with the old Imperial Truth or some new doctrine and dogma.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The only real change he could make would be to take control away from the High Lords of Terra and the Inquisition, and I'm not sure they would go quietly.
ahhh didn't think about that (while doing the simulation in my head). In the end the emperor would be able to regain control (obviously), but the events of this political struggle are very intriguing.

Taking 40k lore into consideration (as im not all to familiar with it), how long would this political unrest be and how powerful are the High Lords of Terra to oppose the emperor?

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
The Tyranids, Necrons and Tau are new threats that weren't around during the great crusade and the Empire is no longer in a position of control that it had in the wake of the fall of the Eldar.
On the other hand, the Imperium prior to the Heresy enjoyed unparalleled direction and coordination under the Emperor. By contrast, the modern Imperium is torn to a million different directions, often unable to even process a challenge until it's too late.

That really wouldn't be an issue. There are only a small number of High Lords of Terra, of whom one of the most influential (the Fabricator-General) already is "in" by dint of the "special relationship" Mars and Terra have long enjoyed. The Admiralty and the Lord Commander Militant of the Imperial Guard haven't ever tried to seize power for themselves, so I don't see them trying to usurp the Emperor--whom they already worship. Of the Inquisitors, only the Radicals would be a cause for concern--in fact, many Inquisitors also subscribe to the Imperial Cult.

The main thing the Emperor would achieve for the Imperium is to provide a strong focus of direction again. Able to act and speak for himself, he would be able to rid the Imperium of amazing amounts of red tape. With his influence, he could very well raise the resources to launch a new series of Crusades, allowing the established forces to maintain a defensive stance as needed while he (or his agents) proactively addressed burgeoning threats.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Looking at it that way I suppose a lot would depend on the manner of his waking up.
If he just happens to roll over, fart, have a scratch and ask for a cup of coffee then the transition could be a little easier.
If, on the other hand, it's the whole rebirth scenario then I can see problems.
It would be a nightmare just proving he is the Emperor, dealing with the masses screaming "Heretic!" and "He turned me into a newt!" would be even tougher to deal with.

As for the High Lords and the rest of Terra's hierarchy, they would follow the Emperor unless they have ulterior motives, how many of them really have the interests of the Imperium at heart and how many are in it for the power the position brings?

Some would side with the Emperor, of course they would, but there would be plenty who wouldn't and with the current state of affairs the last thing the Imperium or the Emperor would want would be another civil war.
If the Emperor woke up I think he would have to start the process all over again, including working in the background until humanity was ready again.

·
Registered
125 Posts
He CAN'T wake up... he's a corpse, a psychic imprint encased in a dead husk.

That, and he serves as a sewer plug so the rats can't come in (Daemons)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If he woke up he would prolly think to hime self "well that was a nice nap. Its time for a sandwich and some cinnimon toast crunch. Oh yeah i need some starbucks."

Really he wouldn't wake he would die before being reborn or he would just die go to the warp and show the big 4 who the real bad ass is and win the great game andkick some daemon ass in the process.

Or he would be killed on sight for being mistaken for a zombie since well he does look like a rotting corpse

Read what fluff exsists on the star chikd i think this has something to do with the big E

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
No on can really say what would happen if the Emperor came back. However it would be total badassery on whoever opposed him this time as he burnt his compassion away to obliterate Horus' soul.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
After doing some reading, the standard "if he woke up" probably wouldn't work these days. But how could GW work such an "The Emperor of Mankind comes back!" styled returned that'd fit into canon/lore? I read a few such theories on the wikia, but what does folks think of such things and are there other (more plausable) methods someone such as the Emperor (who's been around for tens of thousands of years before he "died") could've foreseen and planned?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that if the Emperor dies then he wouod be reborn and would destroy Chaos? I don't think this is true but I have heard it a couple of times.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I remember hearing somewhere that if the Emperor dies then he wouod be reborn and would destroy Chaos? I don't think this is true but I have heard it a couple of times.
Yes, the Starchild theory back from the rogue trader era.

The essence of the dying Emperor leaves a psychic imprint in the warp which is fuelled further by the feverish worship of the Emperor, by the entire Imperium.

When it grows strong enough it will be a force of order in the warp, a fifth god; And it will bring order that can overcome chaos.

These days anyways... Back in RT it was all happy-ending like. Now they focuse more on the implausability of the whole thing and the potential side-effects: If the twisted forces of chaos corrupted the new god of order, it could potentially destroy the whole Imperium!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I'm kinda curious as to whether or not folks would accept a spin-off universe in which GW says: "Okay, this is What If Land in which has no connection to the current 40k canon-lore. Consider it us trying some new stuff. Don't like it? No problem. Stay playing the stuff you've grown to love, we'll keep supporting it just as we always have. But we'll do this new stuff, just to offer something else." In that, they officially move the 40k story forward in however manner they deem appropriate.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm kinda curious as to whether or not folks would accept a spin-off universe in which GW says: "Okay, this is What If Land in which has no connection to the current 40k canon-lore. Consider it us trying some new stuff. Don't like it? No problem. Stay playing the stuff you've grown to love, we'll keep supporting it just as we always have. But we'll do this new stuff, just to offer something else." In that, they officially move the 40k story forward in however manner they deem appropriate.
They did this with Battletech, and... it died. Pretty much the entire fanbase retreated from the Dark Age stuff back to Classical. At least that was my take on it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
He would realize how hard he's been working, hand the reins to Calgar and go to the sunny beaches of Lear for summer vacation

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
For starters hes ganna need some skin! I know it sounds kinda stupid be you can't be the god-emperor of mankind without any skin! Not to mention way way more than just a six pack of beer, he hasn't drunk any in 10,000 years.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts