Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
The Emperor Protects
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a while i've wondered what the exact size of the legions were before the Heresy. Some said around 10,000, where as others have gone much higher. But none of the Heresy novels had given an exact figure. But i listened to Ravens Flight today and Corax says he came to Istvaan with 80,000 marines. Now we know he left a company back at Deliverance and then theirs the Marines who would be spread out across the galaxy on various tasks. So i imagine we can safely assume the Raven Guard numbered at around 100,000. Dont ever recall hearing that Raven Guard were a large Legion, so if we take this to be an average, whats the conservative estimate on the size of the Ultramarines, who were meant to be vastly larger than most other Legions.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I dont know. The audiobooks not very clear. I took it as the 80,000 being the strength of the legion. Although one of the Raven Guard marines mentions that probably 90% of the legion are dead and their are 4000 of them at this point, which would suggest theu number at 40,000.

Looking at it this could make sense, as didn't the Iron Hands only fight with their first company and some other elements? which would only be say over a few thousand? 40,000 Raven Guard, 35,000 or so Salamanders, and the rest made up of Iron Hands. Making the 80,000 up

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.