Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GW's IP legalities.

Interesting stuff, but some of it is downright silly.

I don't know if I was reading this correctly, but is it illegal to convert models? They said it was illegal to mass produce conversions, but then they said that you can't combine it with a third party's IP. Does that mean that, legally, if I wanted to give a custom non-GW head to one of my Noise Marines that it is illegal?

GW tattoos are illegal. Really? So if I got a Chaos Star on my right shoulder (which I wanted to do), it is illegal?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
IP legalities in general are a funny thing.

You are allowed to let people listen to a CD that you purchase, yet you can't let people access those same songs online. Same thing with a film on DVD/BluRay.

You can go to a library and check out a book to read, but you can't download it online for the same purpose.

You're not allowed to "copy" another persons work, yet all stories basicly come from the same 5 templates.

But I'm getting off topic.

Conversions are not illegal, your just not supposed to mass produce and sell them. Thats Illegal. Hell they talk about Kit bashing and conversions every other day on GW's own site.

You can't convert a GW model with 3rd party bits and enter it in a tourny or painting/modeling compitition that is sponsered by GW. They are illegal for those conditions, not like "I'll get arrested and put in jail" illegal.

As far as tattoo's go, I'm pretty sure they would be illegal. A person can't make money off of GWs IP, so tattoo artists aren't really supposed to draw them. However, depending on what type of tattoo you get you can claim it's got nothing to do with GW.

·
4,491 Posts
Simple solution.... Don't play in GW sponsored tournaments.

TO's in Australia are giving up on GW support because they can get prizes cheaper from overseas, they like the variation in conversions/models, and they are just generally sick of GW's bullshit.

As for the tattoo's, i guess it depends on what the tattoo is of.
The Chaos star is fairly bloody close to the Scientology symbol, and i cant see GW paying Scientologists royalties for stealing and slightly modifying their symbol.

So just do what GW did, steal the chaos star icon and slightly modify it.

At the end of the day, just dont do stuff thats going to make you money from it.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts

You are allowed to let people listen to a CD that you purchase, yet you can't let people access those same songs online. Same thing with a film on DVD/BluRay.
Thats becuase you have to pay. If you find a place you can down laod the moive/CD and pay for it then it's fine, or even someone like Funamation who will display some of there episodes for free for the public as they hold the rights to show them

You can go to a library and check out a book to read, but you can't download it online for the same purpose.
Again money. Libaray are goverment funded and you need to have mebership to get a book (not sure if that costs money anymore or not)

You're not allowed to "copy" another persons work, yet all stories basicly come from the same 5 templates.
This is to stop you from wrighting down what you read and learning nothing. If you copys someones work you wont understand or learn anyhtign about it. Thats why you have to change it into your own words and that way you cna understand it and you learn and read it propaly while editing it

And now i am too. :p

Anyway i can see why SOME conversiosn wouldn't be fine but unless you uses non-GW stuff (this excludeds Forge world as GW own them) then you wouldn't be able to use it in there stores, but you payed for the mdoals you can use them how you like dam it.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
The main thing I'm interested in is casting models.

Is it illegal to modify a GW model and then cast it? Probably yes.
Is it illegal to use a GW model as a base and basically sculpt most of the final model on top, then cast it? I bloody well hope not, I plain to do that at some point.
Is it illegal to sculpt something of GW's IP, and then cast it? Same answer as above.

I think the only real issue with casting models is selling them to people; obviously duplicating GW products for yourself isn't legal, but I think that if you change it significantly then it isn't an issue.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think basically anytime youre casting something that has GW parts, its a problem. Because you had to buy that initial model to make the casts, and now you dont have to buy it anymore. Thats an issue because GW is being "cheated" out of money.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
I think basically anytime youre casting something that has GW parts, its a problem. Because you had to buy that initial model to make the casts, and now you dont have to buy it anymore. Thats an issue because GW is being "cheated" out of money.
Oh yeah I know that, but what I mean is like...
For example, if you took a SM shoulder pad, sculpted some lovely detail onto it, and cast it.
It's basically your own part, but you've just used the GW piece as a base for scale and form.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts

Conversions are not illegal, your just not supposed to mass produce and sell them. Thats Illegal. Hell they talk about Kit bashing and conversions every other day on GW's own site.

You can't convert a GW model with 3rd party bits and enter it in a tourny or painting/modeling compitition that is sponsered by GW. They are illegal for those conditions, not like "I'll get arrested and put in jail" illegal.

As far as tattoo's go, I'm pretty sure they would be illegal. A person can't make money off of GWs IP, so tattoo artists aren't really supposed to draw them. However, depending on what type of tattoo you get you can claim it's got nothing to do with GW.
You are confusing IP with copyright.

But on the OP, GWs IP policy is made by GW and is a "policy" most of it is not enforcable by law and should not be taken as such.
They are not likely to act on anything unless it is using their IP for financial gain, then they will use their IP policy as a "we warned you" and issue a ceast and disist notice, which is in effect an intent to take legal action, even then you still can ignore them but the next step is legal action.

GW has a strong IP policy to cover their bases, without it they dont have a starting position.

As for casting - dont use their parts, and dont sell anything you cast based on GW imagery, then you are safe. Remember casting for personal use is still IP infringement, but its the kind which is much less likely to get you legal pimpslapped.

The tatoo bit is that the tatooist is being paid to draw(?) GW IP imagery, I have not heard of GW taking any action on such cases, I think it is in there to stop a tatooist having a paterns book full of GW imagery.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
On the tatoo issue there is really nothing GW can do as you aren't the one who technically breaches the IP laws - it's the artist and even then they can't do a thing because they don't know who tatooed it for you, and therefore such a pursuit would be a waste as I could say it was done by Johnny Long Legs in Thailand when I was on holidays there, GW are going to waste more money finding the guy who did it and then trying to get a reasonable sum out of him would be like drawing blood from a stone. (No offence is intended by this post at all and I hope none is taken)

·
4,491 Posts
GW once sued a 20-year-old boy for getting a tattoo of the Ultramarines symbol.

They took him to court, sued him and the tattoo artist for $100,000 each, and forced him to remove the tattoo.
As he couldn't pay to get it removed (being sued and all), he removed the skin himself with a knife while he was drunk and depressed.
He died from a loss of blood.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
GW once sued a 20-year-old boy for getting a tattoo of the Ultramarines symbol.

They took him to court, sued him and the tattoo artist for $100,000 each, and forced him to remove the tattoo.
As he couldn't pay to get it removed (being sued and all), he removed the skin himself with a knife while he was drunk and depressed.
He died from a loss of blood.
Care to provide a link?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I think we can agree that some fascets of the IP policy probably chase away hobbyists.
I disagree, very few hobbists have any or need any interest in that policy, the IP policy is not some huge stick to beat average people with, it is simply a set of ideals that a company of GW's size needs to protect its own interests, companies grow large by being popular, if you are popular your products are emulated or copied for profit by others, IP and copyright and trademarks etc are there to protect the companies who have spent the time, money and effort developing a brand/product and customer loyalty and also to protect the consumer from being mislead or purchasing fake or poor quality products that are being presented as genuine.

The parts of the IP that reads like they are chasing away hobbists are included in the policy to cover all bases so to speak, its very difficult in the black and white world of law to allow certain people freedom to use your IP and then charge others for it or pursue those who use it for free or produce fakes in the courts.

You can fall on either side of the fence but realistically GW legal are not concerned with minor IP infringements, things like sketches,conversions,fan fiction,fansites are mostly tolerated and even encouraged, until they overstep the line and the line is simply were it becomes difficult for the average joe to differentiate between the genuine products/IP and homebrew.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts