Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so I managed to start picking up some stuff here & there. so far I have these:

x1 SM Battle Force box
x1 SM Commander box
x1 Scout Snipers box
x1 SW Terminator box
x2 Devistator squad box
x1 AoBR Dreadnought
x5 Thunderwolves

ok so based on what comes in the battle force & the rest can you guys help me out with my 1st list?

I will also purchase these next, but want to try & focus on what I have on-hand:

x1 Land Speeder
x1 Drop Pod
x1 Razorback
x1 Wolf Pack box

will I have enough troops or should I get another Wolf Pack box?
& as far as HQ goes I havnt decided what to get.

thanks guys for your help.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
you have plenty...although the wolf pack box is vital if you want the WHOLE army to be space wolfy...

i dont play SWs but you should have enough, might be a little low on rhinos but thats it

list wise just throw it together, the best way to learn is to fail

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Should have come to use sooner, would have told you to pick up a SW battle force. Anywho- I would say you should make a potential list and post it in the SW list section. From there we can tell you what to change and what you should go for, it will save you some money in the long run.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok so I picked up these as well

x1 Land Speeder
x1 Drop Pod
x1 Razorback
x1 Wolf Pack box
x1 Assault Squad box (traded the Sniper Scouts in for these)
x1 SW accessory sprue
x2 SW shoulder pads
x1 AoBR Commander

now I also got some random bits:

x10 SW backpacks
x8 wolf claws (4 sets L&R handed)
x4 power fists

Do I have enough Claws/Fists? the backpacks will be used for the Tacticle Squad that came in the SM Battle Force along with some accessories from the wolf pack sprues that should make them look wolfy enough.

the SW accessorie sprue from GW has 5 alternate sculpt torso's wich Ill use for my Thunderwolf Cavalry.the rest of the sprue will be used to dress up the 2 commanders.

I am also converting 2 Rune priests & 2 standard bearers from left over WoC warrior models.

So hows it looking so far? btw the Fenris Wolf from heroclix makes a great wolf mount & for only $3.00 each you cant go wrong. plus the benifit of not having to splinter, warp or snap like the resin ones out there.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Moar Terminators; Seriously, the coolest unit of the SW Codex, is the Wolf Guard. :')

But you have quite alot, Try putting a list together, then buying what you need to run it!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Dude, make a list before you buy all this crap. You're a GW wet dream: a player who has no direction, but is willing to buy fucking everything. Seriously, make a list and post it in the SM sub-forum and we will work it out from there.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Dude, make a list before you buy all this crap. You're a GW wet dream: a player who has no direction, but is willing to buy fucking everything. Seriously, make a list and post it in the SM sub-forum and we will work it out from there.
I wanted to say this, but i didn't want to offend you.

STOP BUYING EVERYTHING, LMAO.

Plan your list mate. ;)

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
I dont understand this advice, does everyone write a 1500 list and then buy the army to that list? dont you tailor your list depending on your opponent? would you use the same list if you were against imperial guard as you would if you were up against eldar?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
At bits,
I would and I do. I write all comers lists.
Number 1: it saves money.
Number 2: it works.

@ OP
Only $200? Sweet deal. I thought you were WAY above that. Lol where do you get your stuff? Oh, btw, Sorry if I appeared to be freaking out. That's just how I usually am.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Well.. Excuse my consistent language, but fuck me. Who do i think i am telling you not to just buy everything, i spose. :biggrin:

What ever works for you, Buy a shit load of Terminators dude. :')

They're just so awesome!

AND; BnK, Generally people make a list that is in general, then expand from there.

I don't want people to regret stuff like i do;

I mass bought loads of stuff that i don't need, and never will use;

Terminator Lord, Squad of Raptors. Might not be much, but every day i wake thinking... I coulda used that £40+ on cooler models! Like more Oblits! :')

·
Ask me about Pins
1,408 Posts
I dont understand this advice, does everyone write a 1500 list and then buy the army to that list? dont you tailor your list depending on your opponent? would you use the same list if you were against imperial guard as you would if you were up against eldar?
So, I have the models to pretty much run any list in the SM or SW codex except for 3 whirlwinds, Droppod assault, and TWC. So, yeah, I've bought a ton of stuff...

But, that was before I got some clue about list making. Now if I buy something it's cause I want to do a conversion.

@bits and Kits -- I tell folks who tailor lists that they're douches... I run an all comers list... Caveat is that if we agree to face off and agree to tailor our lists, then cool... but if I show up with an all comers and you show up then build your list around what I'm bringing... that's just lame.

@OP
Hey, if you're going to buy a Rhino - buy a razorback... 4-6 does nicely. Since there are a number of different builds (TWC, Razorwolf, Loganwing) I would look at some of the better lists to get an idea of what to buy...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@OP
Hey, if you're going to buy a Rhino - buy a razorback... 4-6 does nicely. Since there are a number of different builds (TWC, Razorwolf, Loganwing) I would look at some of the better lists to get an idea of what to buy...
I got a Rhino with the SM BF but I bought a Razorback for my other 10 troops.

... but if I show up with an all comers and you show up then build your list around what I'm bringing... that's just lame.
I totally agree!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree. All my armies re well the above the FoC slot so I can mix and match for different armies every time.....seem more fun that way. I say buy it all man.....I do that but I hit Ebay up alot to save money.....I also do alot of conversions so bits tend to be what I buy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@ OP
Only $200? Sweet deal. I thought you were WAY above that. Lol where do you get your stuff? Oh, btw, Sorry if I appeared to be freaking out. That's just how I usually am.

No problem bro. thanks again for the input..

now can ya help me put my 1st list together? I have these:

Troop

x20 Gray Hunters
x10 Sky Claws/ Blood Claws
x10 Long Fangs
x5 Thunderwolves
x5 Wolf Gaurd
x1 Wolf Lord
x1 Rune Priest
x2 Wolf Priest
x2 Commanders
x1 Dreadnought
x1 Land Speeder

Transport

x1 Drop Pod
x1 Razorback
x1 Rhino

Lmk what I can make from these. thanks

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
No problem bro. thanks again for the input..

now can ya help me put my 1st list together? I have these:

Troop

x20 Gray Hunters
okay, so split them into 2 squads of 7 and a squad of 6, give them each a meltagun, mark of the wulfen and a wolf banner. put them in transports.
x10 Sky Claws/ Blood Claws
]skyclaws with a powerfist and mark of the wulfen can work very well
x10 Long Fangs
8 long fangs with missile launchers, 2 squad leaders
x5 Thunderwolves
1 storm shield and 1 powerfist, and put your lord on 1, so you have 4 TWC and a lord on a TWM
x5 Wolf Gaurd
if they are terminators, and you want to use them in a squad, go for 3 wolf claw/ combi-melta loadouts and, 1 with a chainfist and combi-melta and 1 cyclone missile launcher with combi melta and wolf claw. it is a real range/ combat mix
x1 Wolf Lord
as i said, put him on a TW mount
x1 Rune Priest
]chooser of the slain is great, thats it
x2 Wolf Priest
give one a jump pack and put him in with your sky claws, give him a wolftooth necklace and wolf tail talisman
x2 Commanders
i really dont know, maybe model them as wolf guard or rune priests ?

x1 Dreadnought
rifleman dreadnought, or go for the plasma cannon and missile launcher loadout, or if you want combat, go for the asscan and close combat weapon loadout, really, the options are all quite good
x1 Land Speeder
you need more than one, but go for the multi-melta/ heavy flamer variant]

Transport

x1 Drop Pod
put grey hunters in all of your transports
x1 Razorback
x1 Rhino

Lmk what I can make from these. thanks
okay, so that is a start, but i am sure everyone else can give you some more input.

·
Ancient Relic
2,430 Posts
yeah, use your commanders as squad leaders for your long fangs. while iron priests on TWM with his full retinue is good, the lord on a TWM will bring the pain to the enemy like no other character in the game, (except maybe kharn the betrayer), but he is expensive. in the end, go for what you like the look of and think fits your army well. i dont run super competitive lists, but i still win my games and have fun playing. good luck.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts