Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Show of Hands guys, in the SM codex, can tactical Marines Have Bolters, Bolt Pistols, AND chainswords all at the same time? my friend is saying that in the codex because it implies And/Or when trading the Bolt Pistol or Boltgun means they have both. but he wont listen to a player, so tell the truth so he'll shut up. even better if you provide refferences

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Only SW can do it Vanilla can't do jack shit like that I think but I don't have a reference for it

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Uh, your post might want to be much more clear, MUCH more clear, since I have no real idea what this person is claiming.
In the standard SM codex, Tactical Marines have a Bolgun and a Bolt Pistol.
The Sergeant can choose to replace either of those two weapons for a variety of things, he can exchange both of them if he wishes.

No Tactical Marine may have a Boltgun, Bolt Pistol, and Chainsword all at once, I believe the only thing in the whole codex that CAN have that is Honour Guard, but they have Power Weapons instead of Chainswords.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he's trying to say that in the Sgt trade list, because it says you can trade the Boltgun AND OR bolt pistol, it means he has both, he made a Sgt Marine with a bolt pistol and bolt gun, wich albeit looks cool, isn't legal, amiright?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't even imagine the reasoning behind having a bolt gun and a bolt pistol, as you can only fire 1

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the question is, if a tactical Squad has Boltguns, they can also fire bolt pistols so they can assault the same turn?

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Yeah, he's trying to say that in the Sgt trade list, because it says you can trade the Boltgun AND OR bolt pistol, it means he has both, he made a Sgt Marine with a bolt pistol and bolt gun, wich albeit looks cool, isn't legal, amiright?
Uh, lol whut?
EVERY Tactical Marine has a Boltgun and a Bolt Pistol, it says so in their list of gear, what are you on?
The Pistol is so they can shoot while charging, making them not utterly worthless as an assault unit.

The Sergeant can replace either or both of those pieces of gear for other things.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I see. I'm glad i asked then, I was sure that Tactical Marines only had Boltguns, Or bolt pistols, not both o_O. it just seems akward to be carrying one in each hand (Mainly because the Boltgun is more of a 2handed weapon)

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
Carrying a Boltgun and a Bolt Pistol isn't impractical at all. If a squad is charging into assault, it makes more sense to quickly sling the Boltguns and whip out the Bolt Pistols to pop off a few rounds because pistols are slightly easier to aim on the run. Slightly.

Winterous hit it on the head; SMs come standard with the rifle and pistol.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
because pistols are slightly easier to aim on the run. Slightly.
More importantly than they, the weapons are easier to handle, and you're much better off with a small weapon in close quarters; that's why you can't assault after firing a Rapid Fire gun, you either need to brace yourself to fire it properly, or it's just so unwieldy that shooting while you're charging makes up for their difficulty in combat, providing the +1A bonus.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
The Pistol is so they can shoot while charging, making them not utterly worthless as an assault unit.
Pretty scary two ws4 s4 attacks a piece. Jesus christ make way!

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I see. I'm glad i asked then, I was sure that Tactical Marines only had Boltguns, Or bolt pistols, not both o_O. it just seems akward to be carrying one in each hand (Mainly because the Boltgun is more of a 2handed weapon)
many moons ago they invented 2 items, 1 called a holster. the other called a sling, and though space marines are thick as shit, I think there smart enough to use both of these items.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pretty scary two ws4 s4 attacks a piece. Jesus christ make way!
Assaulting them is always better than them assaulting you, especially if they have Furious Charge, like Berzerkers or Orks. Even if you know you can't win, you have better odds of taking least take a few of them with you first, and maybe tying them up for a few rounds while your TH/SS termies come to save the day.

Also, I'm pretty sure Grey Hunters (Space Wolf Tactical Marines) have the Bolter, Bolt Pistol and CCW combo, and I know Chaos Marines do... and don't Blood Angels as well? Not so sure about them, I haven't read the Sparkle Marines codex yet, but it sounds like something they would do.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Also, I'm pretty sure Grey Hunters (Space Wolf Tactical Marines) have the Bolter, Bolt Pistol and CCW combo, and I know Chaos Marines do... and don't Blood Angels as well? Not so sure about them, I haven't read the Sparkle Marines codex yet, but it sounds like something they would do.
Grey Hunters do, and also Counter-Attack, and ATSKNF.
Blood Angels Marines do not, they just have their fancy anger issues instead of Combat Tactics (which is awesome).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.