Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Their loss.
I'm going to go with a Wargames reference: "A strange game. The only winning move is not to play."

There is nothing GW can do to make everyone happy. I'm not saying there aren't things that they could do, but when it comes to pricing I really don't think we're being screwed nearly as much as we think. Even if it doesn't cost much to make things (and that's counting what GW spends on) there is a lot that gets eaten up by taxes, operating expenses (stores, battle bunkers, ect) and everything else. In the very end would you like to know how much GW actually kept of all the money they made in 2013?

In 2013 they had 134,597,000 GBP in Revenue (that's the money we gave them), but when is all said and done all that was left as profit was 16,318,000 GBP. That's their actual Retained Earnings that they actually can claim as a Net Profit when all is said and done. That's 12.12% of the money they took in.

You know what those retained earnings go? That's where those dividends come from, it goes back into the company so they don't have to borrow money to buy or repair equipment and generally keep a large safety net so if they screw up again and have another issue like they did in 2007 they don't have to go borrow money again (they actually float enough cash that they are able to all their debts TODAY if they all come due RIGHT NOW). It also helps pay for stuff like Games Day and new products like those Imperial Knights (GW doesn't record R&D costs separately and the money has to come from somewhere)

So no, GW isn't a bunch of money grubbing assholes and no they really can't afford to lower prices by much (what's 12 pence off a Landraider really going to get you? Part of a candy bar?), at least as they are now. If GW cuts prices they'll need to basically can their largest cash sink: their stores and sales branches. No more GW stores, Battle Bunkers, ect. Just their webstore and FLGSes. I don't think that'd make people who only have GW stores near them happy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's a business with a premium product. Pay to play. No one cries to Ferrari because they aren't affordable enough.

If the new prices don't appeal to your wallet, then continue to buy used.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's a bit like complaining about the price of cocaine..."Oh, 50 quid a gram is expensive, you are ripping me off!" Then don't take it? Get drunk instead or something...Or start scuba diving.
And besides, you do that to a coke dealer you will probably get your head kicked in. At least with GW we can by a new product off ebay or through 1/3 off websites. You get a 1/3 off with coke or methamphetamines it means you are likely going to be buying from the 17 year old kid who lives in the sewer and it will be cut with laundry detergent and the crushed up bones of the neighbours dead cat...So yeah, GW could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's a bit like complaining about the price of cocaine..."Oh, 50 quid a gram is expensive, you are ripping me off!" Then don't take it? Get drunk instead or something...Or start scuba diving.
And besides, you do that to a coke dealer you will probably get your head kicked in. At least with GW we can by a new product off ebay or through 1/3 off websites. You get a 1/3 off with coke or methamphetamines it means you are likely going to be buying from the 17 year old kid who lives in the sewer and it will be cut with laundry detergent and the crushed up bones of the neighbours dead cat...So yeah, GW could be a lot worse.
You negotiate with coke dealers at gunpoint.

Anyway, its a matter of opinion, like paying for an AK variant. Paying for one without a lot of upgrades past $1k is a huge ripoff, as opposed to pieces of plastic molded off an assembly line.

As it stands on topic before the money crew derails the topic, universal rules balance (lack of with each ascending edition) is what gripes me. The lack of coherency within writers can also be attributed, but that is also a separate problem with BL too.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
As it stands on topic before the money crew derails the topic, universal rules balance (lack of with each ascending edition) is what gripes me. The lack of coherency within writers can also be attributed, but that is also a separate problem with BL too.
Balance is one of the few complaints aimed at GW I can get behind. I have my theories on why it's happened too (namely their meta in-house is different than our meta).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Yes-ish

For nigh on fucking ages; I have wished that GW could/would find a way to speed up codex/armybook releases,
with or without loads of new models,
If they can get relatively everything reasonably updated (one armybook and codex in particular) and keep everything ok-ish (books updated every two to three years) then i'll be even happier then the easter bunny

121 - 127 of 127 Posts