Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

101 - 120 of 127 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I think the backlash from trying to make the game into a more competitive game has finally started swinging us back towards the 2nd edition mentality of the game.

Unfortunately we have a heavily entrenched competitive base in the game anymore who don't like this design mentality even though it's older than most of their armies.
I'd say you're very right on the first point, but I'd go further and say that GW are trying to really emphasize that 40k is not a competitive game with 6th edition.

I'd amend your second point to 'Unfortunately we have a heavily entrenched competitive base in the game anymore who don't like this game' :victory:

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I'd say you're very right on the first point, but I'd go further and say that GW are trying to really emphasize that 40k is not a competitive game with 6th edition.
Which I'm fine with as 3rd was a poor attempt to make it competitive and the game suffered for it more in the long run than anything. I'm happy to see it getting more casual again.

I'd amend your second point to 'Unfortunately we have a heavily entrenched competitive base in the game anymore who don't like this game' :victory:
Also fair. :p

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I agree; hell, just look at my signature. When people learn to play nice, their 40k experience will improve immeasurably. As it stands, people abuse the rules (literally, they do not use them for their intended purpose) and then complain that's it's not balanced. It's like complaining that the apples you bought don't taste like oranges.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
I agree; hell, just look at my signature. When people learn to play nice, their 40k experience will improve immeasurably. As it stands, people abuse the rules (literally, they do not use them for their intended purpose) and then complain that's it's not balanced. It's like complaining that the apples you bought don't taste like oranges.
Agreed. Even a perfectly balanced game can be broken. For as much as MtG gets lauded for game design, even it can't escape players breaking the game and "netdecking" the good combos.

I have a lot more fun when the game is casual in nature over being competitive. It doesn't mean I don't try to win or play my best, but I don't worry about running Quaddrake army either.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Agreed. Even a perfectly balanced game can be broken. For as much as MtG gets lauded for game design, even it can't escape players breaking the game and "netdecking" the good combos.
Ho boy, MTG. The game design is admirable in that the special rules are keyworded, which is great (except Regeneration, which is ok now but only after innumerable FAQs and tournament rulings). The cards themselves? They're not balanced at all. There are no incredible standouts (a few rare exceptions - Jace the Mind Sculptor, or whichever one has four abilities that includes 0 - Mill 10, Thragtusk, maybe Birthing Pod depending on your beliefs), but that's only because cards are only compared within the top, I dunno, 25% of the cardbase. There are loads and loads of cards and barely ever of them see use - essentially every Dimir release in Gatecrash were kinda terrible, and that's just scratching the surface.

But that's all pretty tangential to your point :eek:k:

I have a lot more fun when the game is casual in nature over being competitive. It doesn't mean I don't try to win or play my best, but I don't worry about running Quaddrake army either.
This. Also; do you like the Heldrake model so much that you'd want to build, paint and own four of them? Because I don't know anyone who does. The internet loves to say how Taudar ruin everything, but the amount of gamers outside of the uber-competitive spend-hundreds-on-just-going-to-tournaments-so-they-need-the-prize-money-for-basic-living-costs group don't actually play Tau or Eldar, and aren't going to shell out the silly amount of money you need for a full 2000pts competitive army.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yeah, kinda.

Damnit, GW, I want Conjurations and models with Missile Lock. You've brought out CSM and Daemons, the two most likely candidates for Conjurations; Legion of the Damned, who could have been shoe-horned in as a Conjuration for Codex: Space Marines; who's going to get a conjuration? Imperial Guard?

And you gave *one* unit Missile Lock, then promptly deleted it with an FAQ because it didn't *have* any Missiles.

God damnit.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The same second edition that allowed you to pretty much mix and match almost anything into an army, and had rules for not only the Mechanicus but Astropaths?
Ah yes...The good ol' days. Gretchin cannon fodder with Genestealers, Chaos Space Marines/Daemons and a couple of Leman Russ battle tanks for good measure.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I agree with the plenty of cover your post mentions, but having cover increases the strain on your wallet, slows the game as your always craning over your models, going to hospital with an eye poked out by a toy soldier, and debating the 50% obscured :p
But it means more strategy in games, and makes it more realistic, if you want you could do a thing where every time a ordnance large blast hits, remove any terrain under the blast and put a crater their, this changes the game as it plays out and means it can be strategic where you out your blasts, saying you can put the blast any where as well will help, you could slow down enemies through choke points, or give your own men some cover where their wasn't any...
But I'm quite happy with 6th as it is, I learnt long ago not to go to tournaments (the hard way) and wish I could have an even friendlier group than I have (local gw with a bunch of lying scumbag noobs)
I mean I table them with a pretty shitty list... I've lost once to a plasma spam chaos player but that was from god AWEFUL dice... 10 hammer nators charge a chosen squad, 0 kills and 5 loses sounds fair? What about if I add a priest? But it was fun... Rolling the dice, praying for 2s and standing gob smacked at the 1s...
I still think the game could use tweaks though... Game balance never hurt, and yes gw doesn't give a shit, but it helps everyone, balance means freindlies are freindlier as no one leaves with a bitter taste in their mouth because their new BA army just couldn't cope against a heldrake... Balance means I could bring whatever fluffy list I like, and not be shooting myself in the foot for it... I means tournaments play by skill, not luck of who you get out against..
Over all it's a good edition, minor changes but when is that not the case?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Balance isn't bad, and it's clear that (despite some rough spots were designers get too caught up in trying to make rules to the same level as the models) GW has overall gotten better at it.

That's why everyone complains that everything (save the over-designed stuff that you can tell were someone's pet project) sucks. :p

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
One of the fortification options in Stronghold Assault has AV 15 and a rule that gives a -1 to rolls on the building damage table. It's the macro-cannon Aquila strongpoint. Costs a bit more than two land raiders but has a 72" large blast strength D weapon that fires twice, or it can use an apocalyptic mega-blast with 180" range instead, though it loses strength D.

It's also a multi-part building, so it's actually two AV 15 pieces.
Thankyou sir, It appears I am a little behind the times.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I do have memories of 3rd. Ed cover generation basically ending up with both sides using the cover to create cover for their gunlines and/or a 'tunnel' for a crazy charge.

8 tactical squads on a hill, anyone?

Does anyone remember 'Melta-missiles' and 'wrist-mounted grenade launchers'?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just recently got into Warhammer 40k a couple of months ago with the purchase of the Dark Vengeance Set. Been looking at all the videos, been buying the books and have increased both armies gradually. I'm probably at the addictive, can't believe I didn't know about this game before phase :)
I really enjoy the site and seeing all the content and like the idea that in a way its not getting old but rather rejuvenating or whatever. It's nice to see a hobby that is still producing new stuff as of late. I'm already liking the looks of Necrons but I'm wondering if I should wait for the new codex to come out. Oh ya, Im a Happy Bunny...but She Bunny isn't thrilled :)

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
101 - 120 of 127 Posts