Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Snipers are okay since they wound on a 4+ regardless of opponent toughness. This makes them good for wounding big things, though with such lousy AP don't expect all the wounds caused to do much damage

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
I use IG snipers in place of Ratlings for the (very) small infantry units alongside my AC. I don't like the Ratling models. Too weedy.

-Dirge

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
i don't do guard but i use snipers in my marine scout squad all 6 of them

·
Registered
23 Posts
I find their not that useful unless your fighting one of the necron big boys that are T:8, but have a 4+ save.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I've been able to use my large unit of ratlings to great effect. They haven't done very much damage (I don't think that they've ever earned back 110 points in a game) but they've controlled board area and forced people to maneuver into the teeth of my other forces.

They aren't to be taken if you want something that will simply slaughter your opponents. Adding an extra anti-tank or fire support squad to your HQ isn't a bad idea for just about the same number of points. But they are a fluff-ful choice that are also a good "team player" unit.

I see no reason to adding a sniper-oriented Special Weapons Squad. For ONE more point you could take THREE more sniper rifles.

·
Banned
280 Posts
Yep, it's pointless to take the sniper rifles in Special Weapon squads. But for those who wanted to theme their army with a unit full of Sniper/spotters then I guess it's a nice option.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've been able to use my large unit of ratlings to great effect. They haven't done very much damage (I don't think that they've ever earned back 110 points in a game) but they've controlled board area and forced people to maneuver into the teeth of my other forces.

They aren't to be taken if you want something that will simply slaughter your opponents. Adding an extra anti-tank or fire support squad to your HQ isn't a bad idea for just about the same number of points. But they are a fluff-ful choice that are also a good "team player" unit.

I see no reason to adding a sniper-oriented Special Weapons Squad. For ONE more point you could take THREE more sniper rifles.
I never understood this either, plus ratlings get that cover bonus.

Overall, snipers arnt worth it

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like snipers. PINNING :victory:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Personally though I prefer the vindicare's sniper. gotta love AP 2 :grin:

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you can get over the goofy little models ratlings are awesome. Theyre cheap and I personally love sniper rifles. They get +1 Cover save. Pound for Pound they are the best sniper in the universe.

·
Registered
599 Posts
yo bad it take a doctren

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If you can get over the goofy little models ratlings are awesome. Theyre cheap and I personally love sniper rifles. They get +1 Cover save. Pound for Pound they are the best sniper in the universe.
Excuse me! Vindicares are the best. -1 to enemy cover, stealth suit, and targetting individual models, plus some other neat abilities.

But I would give ratlings second place.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You could always take the Deathworld Sniper which is available to any IG Army. They're pretty awesome for only 30pts or if you don't want the toxins they are only 15pts. And you can take 1-3 for a single elite spot.

·
Ex Mod.
4,245 Posts
Excuse me! Vindicares are the best. -1 to enemy cover, stealth suit, and targetting individual models, plus some other neat abilities.

But I would give ratlings second place.
a vindicare costs more than a squad of 10 ratlings. oh, and he can only be taken if there is an inquisitor lord in the same army. i think he loses to the rat men.

personally, i dont think snipers are much worth it unless youre playing an nidzilla list or something like that. 3 auto cannons are a lot better....

·
Registered
178 Posts
personally, i dont think snipers are much worth it unless youre playing an nidzilla list or something like that. 3 auto cannons are a lot better....
Well, the good thing about Vanilla Snipers is they only cost 15pts, they infiltrate, can be deployed as a single model, get a +1 Cover Save, and have the ability to Meld into Cover.

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
i use snipers as much as possible, but im unfamilliar with the IG rules. if a sniper can infiltrate, he's useless IMO. i infiltrate my snipes into a good position and advance with the rest of my army down a separate route; giving the enemy two targets to shoot at. Snipes may not have good AP, but if you get a lot of em, ur enemy's bound to fail SOME armor saves

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
a vindicare costs more than a squad of 10 ratlings. oh, and he can only be taken if there is an inquisitor lord in the same army..
Just to clarify you only need an inquisitor not an inquisitor lord. the normal ones are half the price and are an elite choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts