Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my last smurfs to finish out my tac squads. I'm pleased with the way they turned out. I haven't put anything on their right shoulder pads because I like to remain flexible, so if I want to use them as Devastators they wont have the tactical arrows and vice versa. Let me know what you think =).

Oh and by the way, all these guys are magnetized. Here's a pic of what I did. This allowed me to make use of all the heavy weapons in the Dev box instead of having to pick 4. I like flexibility.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Nice! :eek:k: The highlights are rather thick but I know that some people like it that way. +reputation

EDIT: I just noticed that you have mould lines on your models, you should clean those of next time

·
Registered
267 Posts
Like wombat tree said the highlights are a bit thick. Perhaps try blending them in with a few washes. But from what I can see it looks like you have the right idea.

Still a pretty decent paintjob :eek:k:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I realized a while back that for my general troops and stuff I want a really good look from the playing table so I use the thicker highlights because it helps it stand out better when you're looking at it from 3-4 feet away. I'm working on my Calgar that is going to have much finer highlights because he's just such a cool model everyone is going to be picking him up to take a closer look. I'm also working on my techmarine from my thunderfire cannon, which I'll probably put some more effort into as well. Thanks for the positive feedback though! It is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just noticed that you have mould lines on your models, you should clean those of next time
To be honest, I haven't figured out a good way to clean model lines off curves. I think I actually tried on one or two of the right shoulder pads in the picture and it ended up looking all choppy and not curved any more. I'll look into it for next time.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I too am guilty of

On the plus side you have done a good job of the dev squd. I love the freehand and the plasma is nicely done. For mould lines I scrape with my knife as has been said before but also use finger nail clippers. They are rounded and really good for shoulder pad flash removal, etc. Give 'em a go!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent suggestions guys! Now that I think about it I have a curved exacto blade, I don't know why it never occurred to me to use it lol. I'll try the nail clippers idea too. Thanks for the good advice =D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just raid any womans hand bag and dig out her nail file, cheap and effective, failing that you can buy packs of model makers diamond files..... from certain bits sites....
I think my wife has a file set in her scrapbooking stuff, i'll raid that and steal it from her!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts