Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is hard to explain so ill give an example...

I have 10 unpainted unassembled SM scouts /w sniper rifles. Should I...

1. make 1 unit /w 9x sniper rifles and 1x Missle launcher

OR

2. make 2 units each /2 4x sniper rifles and 1x Missle launcher

What is your opinion? Or does it just depend on the Race/Unit type? HALP PLZ ><><

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
it really depends on the type of battle your most likely to play.

2 squads offers more maneuvrability (sorry about spelling) and you can shoot at different targets, great for smaller battles, being able to pick off two targets quickly.

1 squad gives it survivability and means less morale checks and running away when you get in trouble.

it is really up to you and what battles you play more often.

·
Registered
143 Posts
as xeno says - different scnarios and different enemies may require you to try different set-ups. never get stuck in the rut of one army list suits all

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
For snipers, I would suggest one large squad with a heavy bolter. Snipers are for anti-troop, not anti-tank, and the ranges line up nicely. I'd only pack a ML if you were facing someone who uses a lot of big monsterous creatures like wtraithlords and zilla nids (where your snipers will be very valuable against the high toughness baddies)

I'd also reccomend at least one squad of close-combat scouts with a powerfist sarge and a missile launcher. Why a ML in an assault squad? Infiltrate into a good position, fire that rocket into the side of an enemy tank, them start moving in for assault. It doesn;t cost much and it's a good one-shot weapon if you can get into a good position to use it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help guys. Basically what i was theorising with the moral checks with the larger units and the ability to move around with smaller units. ty again : D

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
This may be a style thing, but while I generally favor full-strength squads (Tactical Squads are ALWAYS ten-strong in my armies), snipers (and indeed all Scouts) can benefit from being smaller. You can put more heavy weapons in with them like that, and since they Infiltrate, it lets you position those heavy weapons exactly where you need them after the other guy sets up. Psychologically, those smaller scout squads are less intimidating than a big one, so your opponent might not bother with them as much as other units if they're only five strong. I've found Scouts usually are the ones who make it to turn 6 on a regular basis for that reason alone.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
take one squad. With 2 squads, your fire is more spread out and such, but you can concentrate it all on something tough with one squad. Say, there's a squad of Howling Banshees that you want dead. ping them with a frag and 9 sniper shots. They will most certainly die unless you are really woeful at rolling dice.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
If you take two squads, what's stopping you from having them both shoot the banshees? You could potentially have another (non sniper) heavy weapon in there that way, and when you don't need them to both shoot the same unit, you're free to target different things with the heavy weapons.

·
Registered
804 Posts
What can decide your squad size as well can be based on what the squad is used for, whats its purpose? a heavy weapon team sitting in cover far away from most weapons reach can afford to have less members, a counter attack unit meant for fire fights can afford smaller to medium(7~8 in the case of marines) sized units, front line units to tie up and front line close quater/CC fighting squads should to an extent be larger squads, not massive(unless your doing swarm then sometimes it can be a good thing, but also sometimes not so good) units since they're in the thick of it, they're expected to take casualties and keep on fightin and thats what you need them to do, for now with the new dex i base almost all my squads around 10-man squads though for standard CSM's and my other squads number 7~10 since most of them are mostly CC orientated, the only squads i have smaller are my havocs and my termies

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I personally like two squads, then i can cover more areas that the enemy may advance, and can have two heavy weapons to. Two units also kind of gives survivability since then they need to split fire instead of focusing and wiping them out in one go.

Split firing is the worse thing you can do in a game imo.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Personally, for snipers, I'd opt for a single larger squad. This just ensures that they'll succeed in what they do best. Two smaller squads are more easily ignored, and for good reason. They'll simply not do enough damage each turn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts