Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i'm putting together my first company now, 5 terms, 50 PA vets. I'm just thinking, why would you ever take vets and give them bolters/plasma guns?

surely the typical, and predominant, loadout, should be CCW, PW etc etc, with maybe a flamer/melta somewhere?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
torealis said:
I'm just thinking, why would you ever take vets and give them bolters/plasma guns?
Well either:
Tank Hunter for all of your guns, S5 bolters for killing speeders & a S10 Las-cannon.
Or
Infiltrate the squad into a forward position (within 24" but outside 18") & let rip from turn 1.

If you have used up both your traits its a good way to get some skills in there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont use Codex SM. i'm a purist, so i'm using the list from the DA or BA codex, depending on whether i want a death company or not...

so vet skills are out...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
torealis said:
i dont use Codex SM. i'm a purist, so i'm using the list from the DA or BA codex, depending on whether i want a death company or not...

so vet skills are out...
Oh so you have access to the good veterans. Why take bolters? Because they let you pump out a massive ammount of fire power at close range.
Bolters rock!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but surely you should just take tac marines if you want bolters. why pay extra?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
6,544 Posts
Simply put... Infiltrate. I use Infiltrate almost across the board with my Black Legion army (to the point where I just use the Alpha Legion rules, since I don't take daemons or anything other than Mark of Chaos Undivided anyway, and it's dumb to pay two points more per model if you don't have to.). A squad with bolters and a couple of meltaguns can provide a surprisingly good means of not only knocking out a tank or two, but a decent distraction while your assault units get in position. Infiltrate is worth its weight in gold, IMO.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
torealis said:
yeah, but surely you should just take tac marines if you want bolters. why pay extra?
Because they can shoot & then if someone gets frisky they are as good as assault marines.
Add to this that they can be taken in units of less than 10 & its all gravy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my vets can't infiltrate...

but yeah, i'll have one squad of the 5 armed with bolters..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
The Son of Horus said:
Simply put... Infiltrate. I use Infiltrate almost across the board with my Black Legion army (to the point where I just use the Alpha Legion rules, since I don't take daemons or anything other than Mark of Chaos Undivided anyway, and it's dumb to pay two points more per model if you don't have to.). A squad with bolters and a couple of meltaguns can provide a surprisingly good means of not only knocking out a tank or two, but a decent distraction while your assault units get in position. Infiltrate is worth its weight in gold, IMO.

>> I infiltrate all but 2 units of my Black Legion. Difference is I have plasma wi boolters, melta wi ccw. Like you, I dont take deamons, bit I have a Slaaneshii possessed squad.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top