Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So; I played a double-MotF (on foot) list against IG, rolling a Pitched Battle/Annihilation mission, along with him siezing initiative: and got duly destroyed. The concept was and is torrent of fire, and here is my new list based on the learnings. I'd greatly appreciate your feedback on prior to my next fight.

1500pts/13KPs/13QS (Quality Sources - of fire)

HQ @310

MotF w. conv. beamer, bike
MotF w. conv. beamer, bike

TROOPS @460
10xTactical w. flamer, ML, Razorback, TLPG/LC
10xScout w. cbt blade x5, sniper rifle x3, ML, Telion

ELITE @210
Dreadnought
Dreadnought

FAST @250
Landspeeder w. TML
Landspeeder w. TML
Landspeeder w. MM/HF

HEAVY @270
Predator w. HB sponsons, DB

The troops are in big squads so I can decide to CS as I deploy. Note that I could have had a second smaller Tac squad with another Razorback instead of the Scouts, but IG are very good at smashing up light armour and I've found the scouts resilient. (In our locale Stealth applies to units, so Telion means the unit has Stealth: hence no cloaks.) Telion is great against IG - lots of commissars and special characters to snipe.

I look forward to your ideas.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
well i can tell why you got blitzed.

for one, only two Troops choices, your MotF's couldn't hide in a squad too well, not that i'm against him on a bike but your HQ have their powered armored asses flapping in a bullet riddled wind.

keep your MotFs, and even keep the Beamers, take advantage of their Improve Cover ability, and put them in cover with Sniper Scouts. add cloaks and a ML.

frankly, if versing IG, Scouts could be one of the few cards SM could play against them, as their 2+ cover ensures their continued existence pretty good.

until flamers show up.

you LS should have MM all around. i know it's typically dumb to do this, but consider taking two MM per LS. typically, LS can only fire one weapon as you'll be moving 12" per turn. the only reason i recommend taking two MM (i'd only consider it against IG, and then maybe not) is to give you a spare when the first one gets destroyed.

and obviously, this is meant to go against anything that has better than AV12 and you can't get angle on (Leman Russ tanks).

lastly, the other thing to consider, if you're taking MotF, why not take 6 Rifleman Dreads? that should give you enough shots to hopefully keep AV 12 stunned or busted. put these buggers behind cover as much as you can.

good hunting.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Whats on your dreads? and why 2 MoTF? I would only tike one and then max out on riflemen dreads like Inquisitor Malaclypse said. Or, drop one of your preds for a thunderfire. They are really good against troops and can even make them ignore cover saves.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The list that got blitzed had two Devastator squads instead of the Predators, and three Scout squads with no Tacticals. The MotFs were attached to the Devastators. After losing initiative I struggled to use the Devastators and had to move them, leading to losing rounds of fire. In the original I also fielded MotFs on foot. They were effective against LRTs and Chimeras. However, like the Devastators they lost shots when moved: hence the bikes. (NB: by default he has 2+.) He can attach to the infantry squads even with bike, right? I suppose I'm really searching for something that can pen the front armour of an LRT. What other options are effective?

The Dreads are MM/DCCW. I don't own any rifleman dreads unfortunately, although being a casual I'm sure I can count-as both dreads. Again, in the original list I had MM/HF on two speeders and got off one effective shot from each before being wrecked. Unfortunately those shots did not in turn wreck; they just immobilised. I'll give the Thunderfire a go. It might not be better, but it will be instructive :)

EDITED For the Troops section, would this be better?

10xTactical w. combi-melta, flamer, ML, Rhino, EA
10xTactical w. combi-melta, flamer, ML, Rhino, EA

i.e. no razorback or scouts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts