Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up some SM scouts with SR for my SM army and my wife wants to try her hand at 40K too so I bought her the SW battle force. I took before photos of the bare mini's intending to do a project log but then forgot to take in progress pic's. :headbutt:so without further ado....

all 5 scouts, I have Sgt Telion as well so the 5th scout with SR will be a standard scout in squad

close up of fronts of 2 scouts, other 3 are identical

rear shot, I went an urban warfare motif on the cloaks, i'm so so on the current look

front shot of 1st completed Bloodclaw, i went for the reddish/orange hair color but alas...

rear shot showing the backpack, I think the detail on the banner came out pretty good

right side, as you can see the yellow needs a lot of work, more to come on that

off center front shot, was hoping to show the detail in on the BP better

close up of runes on PS, I wanted the runes to glow but i'm not really sure how to achieve that effect, any tips would greatly appreciated. BTW Blue is my wives favorite color thus the choice rune color.....

flame away boys, any C&C is greatly appreciated. All in all I think these came way better than my 1st SM troops did. Thanks for looking

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
quick question, I used a desk lamp to take the pictures but they seemed to yellow them out, any thoughts? The hair on the bloodclaw for instance really looks good, it transitions from deep red to bright orange well but the pictures don't show that. I'm not a photographer by any means but would like to at least get some decent photos...:scratchhead:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to add eyes, i've tried a couple times and didn't too great of results.

The hair actually looks really good in person, the photo drowns out the red tones, etc

thanks again guys

·
Mentally hilarious
864 Posts
quick question, I used a desk lamp to take the pictures but they seemed to yellow them out, any thoughts? The hair on the bloodclaw for instance really looks good, it transitions from deep red to bright orange well but the pictures don't show that. I'm not a photographer by any means but would like to at least get some decent photos...:scratchhead:
Average desk lamps have a warm hue (ie the light they emit is yellow/redish in the tone). To remedy this you can try a couple of things:

1. Buy a daylight bulb for your desklamp (very good lamplight to paint in, you should have one for evening painting anyway!) which solves the problem (it has a colder light (ie not yellow)).
2. See if your camera has some kind of filter for average lightbulbs (called "white balance"). If it has that setting try taking some pictures of a white object IN your desklamps light with different setting and see which setting makes the object white in the picture. Use that setting when you take pictures and they will be MORE accurate to the real thing.
3. Only take pictures in daylight (preferably not in direct sunlight, a day with white clouds in the sky is perfect).
4. Try taking pictures of your miniatures with the flash on (this is however often extremely difficult to do unless you have some kind of box).
5. Get a camera which has a white balance setting.

Hope this was helpful in some way.
GL HF!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im pretty sure the camera has a white balance setting I just need to figure out where it is. I have a fluorescent bulb in the desklamp now, i'll see if can find a "daylight" fluorescent bulb for it. Thanks

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I like them. Nice work. I too have problems with lighting. However my last batch of models the lighting made them look better than they are.(Lucky me) I am another painter who doesn't do eyes. I keep ending up with guys that look like crazed crosseyed psychos. Maybe when i get one of those magnifier lamps and some bionic arms. Nice work so far, keep it up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like them. Nice work. I too have problems with lighting. However my last batch of models the lighting made them look better than they are.(Lucky me) I am another painter who doesn't do eyes. I keep ending up with guys that look like crazed crosseyed psychos. Maybe when i get one of those magnifier lamps and some bionic arms. Nice work so far, keep it up.
Let me know when you find the bionic arms on sale, they are damn expensive here in Texas. :crazy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts