Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been raised before, but I'm doing some research for some fiction and need some info:
  1. Do new scouts have a mentour so-to-speak, like e veteran sergeant to show them the ropes?
  2. Apart from the final carapace, are there any biological adaptations/additions not carried out on their bodies?
  3. How long does your average scout have to wait before he moves up to a regular squad?
  4. Can scouts remain scouts forever so-to-speak, rather than go up?
  5. How do regular line SM's regard the scouts?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry if this has been raised before, but I'm doing some research for some fiction and need some info:
  1. Do new scouts have a mentour so-to-speak, like e veteran sergeant to show them the ropes?
  2. Apart from the final carapace, are there any biological adaptations/additions not carried out on their bodies?
  3. How long does your average scout have to wait before he moves up to a regular squad?
Now I'm by no means an expert but I'll have a go at answering. Just remember that this could vary between Chapters (and in some cases does).

1) Yep, in some capacity. Scout companies usually have a handful of veterans that oversee the training of the younger recruits (Scout Sergeant Telion). In the case of the Black Templars (to name one, I'm sure there's others) the scouts essentially get mixed in with the battle brothers where they're assigned to a fully fledged marine until he deems them worthy (I think).

2) From what I gather the implantation process is ongoing throughout "scout-hood", the Black Carapace is just the final implant that marks their transition from scout-ness to proper marine-ness. Of course there could be various chapter quirks like with the case of the Space Wolves were I think the wannabes are stuck directly into power armour after their trials and the Scouts are made up of antisocial veterans.

3) Well from induction it takes around 10 years, I believe, for training and implantation to take place. So you could just drive them through the process and churn out marines as quickly as possible. On the other hand (and as I suspect is the case with many Chapters) as well as the implants the scouts would probably have to serve for a longer period of time and prove to their peers that they wouldn't be a waste of a suit of power armour.

4) Yes, I think (Scout Sergeant Telion?). As far as I know a marine could elect to remain within the scout company and become a scout sergeant and so on. I imagine a marine in the second company, for example, could probably request to be transfered to the tenth to aid in the recruitment process.

5) I'd guess that they probably treat them with a moderate level of decency, well perhaps not kill them atleast. It's not like they're just annoying newbs, they're the future of the chapter. Without the recruits the chapter would eventually run out of men. So while a couple of marines might sit around at lunch and mock the scouts sat in the corner of the cafeteria trying to figure out which way to point their bolter, I doubt there would be any massively negative feelings towards them. I highly doubt they'd make things easy for the scouts though, you wouldn't want a weak scout becoming a fully fledged marine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
2. If the Chapter uses Initiates as Scoutes, then they usually have most of the implants once they become Scouts. As far as I can remember one becomes a Scout around 15-18 and the first implants ought to be recieved around 10-12...

3. Depends on the Scout and the Chapter. Generally, I'd say at least 10 years, unless the Scout does something super amazingly exrtraordinary.

5. My guess would be that they act like a sort of stern older brother/uncle towards the Scouts, if they're not their seargent.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think the battle brothers generally feel a strong kinship towards the scouts, as they have been through the trials themselves. And generally respect and like them as they know they have an important role. More respect than a stormtroopers would show a conscript at any rate. It more than likely depends on the chapter though, pre heresy deathguard treated their iniates with contempt. I wonder what sergeant tarkus would say?

Some scouts do remain forever scouts, like telion, cyrus, and even space wolves scouts, they are veterans rather than initiates, but fight as scouts to better aid the cause. fluffwise scouts are one of the most important elements of the codex chapter, they destroy fuel and ammo stores, and generally kill off commanders, when the battle brothers arrive they then can ten fight a considerably weaker force.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
5. Probably abuse. Every newbie, wherever they're from will receive heavy abuse in the barracks. However, when in the field, everyone will treat them with the respect their rank deserves - i.e they're are marines. They have proven through training and are still present, and have a role to fulfill. Often, scout snipers will provide a covering fire that even Devastators with their heavier less accurate weapons couldn't put down, so there's no point putting a scout in a position that he will feel that the death of marine in said issue will be a benefit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the battle brothers generally feel a strong kinship towards the scouts, as they have been through the trials themselves. And generally respect and like them as they know they have an important role. More respect than a stormtroopers would show a conscript at any rate. It more than likely depends on the chapter though, pre heresy deathguard treated their iniates with contempt. I wonder what sergeant tarkus would say?
Actually, they treated those who failed the trail to become a Scout with contempt. Their initiates had never made an appearance.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, as usual, the wealth of knowledge on this site is second to none. Finally, a couple of other points (more or less on the same thread)
Is 14 years old too old to start your trasformation from little wimpy-child-creature to super-warrior marine?
After all the treatments etc, and becoming a fully-fledged marine, how much of their previous life would they actually remember? All of it, or patchy? I was told that because of the trasformation, Marines tend to forget their past lives...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Marines to tend to forget elements of their previous life, like the faces of their friends and family. Instead they become replaced with the features of battle brothers, or the Emperor, or the primarch they come from.

Like many things, it does vary from chapter to chapter, and even marine to marine. Some will remember more, and others will forget everything of their past lives. For the most part though, over time the past before becoming an aspirant and initiate to a chapter will be nothing but a long faded memory.

As for age, if I remember right chapters take in aspirants around the onset of puberty, when change in the body is rife and there bodies are most able to accept any changes it is subjected to (like the implantation progress.)

Once again, minimum and maximum recruitment age from chapter to chapter, with many recruiting young and between the ages of 12 and 15 while a rare few chapters select older individuals; like the Space Wolves who recruit from 13-14 to 17.

However, of all chapters one thing is true, they do no recruit beyond about 17 years old, because at that point while a body is still growing and able to deal with some change, it is not nearly as much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1.) All Scouts, assuming there are scout companies for individual chapter, are lead by Scout Sergeant. Scout Sergeants are veterans of many campaigns and are fully fledged Marines. For example Blood Raven scouts are taught by Deathwatch veteran Cyrus who spent 400 years in Deathwatch.
2.) Depends on the stage and depending on the chapter. I believe in most chapters who follow the Codex Astartes more rigidly have all initiates become scouts after they have their first three operations done. Then again it's never stated when they start, but I assume when they at least have the double heart, bone and muscle growth are needed.
3.) Depends on the individual Scout and Scout Sgt. some stay scouts in till their 20's, but most become a brother around 16-18. Again some chapters don't even do scouts, instead as soon they finish putting all the special organs inside and the indoctrination they're given a black carapace, power armor, and sent off as a Brother without going through Scout.
4.) Scout Sgts can remain as a "scout", but generally scouts go on and advance normally as a Brother. If they won't well, you'll find one more servitor around or serf.
5.) They're the future of the Chapter. They're initiates, but they're still Space Marines even if they haven't earned the title Brother yet. They're treated as initiates are, all depends on the Marine in question. Just like in basic and say a Col. is visiting that Col. could be the nicest person to you in the world but the next visit a Lt. visits and he treats you like dirt. Just depends, however they are the future and are family in a way. Not a brother, but more like a child.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Don't know where you got your information regarding Cyrus from manyfist but from what I can find it states he was a part of the deathwatch for only two centuries tops, not four.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts