Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't play space marines. never have. drop pods are for deep striking marines, correct? does it cost extra points and do you actually need drop pod models? i've seen terminators and dreadnaughts deep strike but never seen a drop pod model.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yes, they cost points

Yes, you need a model or something else appropriate to represent it. In friendly games, a soda can works fine ;-)

Terminators can teleport into battle, so they don't need a drop pod to deep strike, but Dreadnoughts do.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i think dreadnoughts should be bale to deep strike but on a roll of d3 its immobilized stunned / shaken or goes through the ground up to its waist

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
does it cost extra points for the terminators? jump pack squads? I don't mind about having the right model to reperesent it for i only play with my small group of friends in our houses but i'm not going to read a space marine codex. i don't need point breakdowns but is it free or cheap for any space marines. i'm kinda a noob. sorry.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Deep Strike for Jump Packs and Terminators doesn't extra (Speeders can DS too)

But there are downsides. You have to roll to see whether or not they;re available each round (after 1) so they might not show up. They have to deploy when they do come up (so they could come up too early) and, of course, you have to roll scatter dice, so there's always the chance they;ll end up too far away, off the board, or in bad terrain, etc.

Though drop pods will stop before going off board or into impassbale terrain, and you can buy a teleport hoimer to make the terminators come down more accurately, but there's still the issue of when they'll show up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so you have to start rolling for a deep strike unit right at the beginning of your turn 2?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Check out the Reserves rule on P84 and 85 of the main rule book

Starting at the beginning of the controlling player's Turn Two the person with the units in reserve must roll to see if they arrive. They are available on a 4+ on turn 2, 3+ on turn 3 and 2+ on turns 4 and up. If the unit becomes available it *must* be deployed that turn.

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
You gotta remember deep striking is not being pushed out a plane and slowly drifting to the ground with a parachute on your back. Its more on the lines of being shot out of a gun from deep space through the atmosphere of a planet. A drop pod is shielded at the bottom to reduce the extreme heat that is created from going through the atmosphere and its shape helps reduce that heat. A dreadnought deep striking without a pod would either burn to shreds on entry through the atmosphere and if it made it through, whatever left would explode into bits on hitting the ground.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Well, to be fair (not that I think dreads should be able to DS on their own) there are multiple ways to DS, and some of them actually are parachutes (or grav shutes) or being pushed out of a thunderhawk.

How do you think Jump Pack troops DS? You don;t think they fire them from orbit do you?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
You could always give the dread big springy legs and a set of jump thrusters...

But that would be crazy...

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
That is how I read it too. Difference between jump pack troops and dreadnoughts is that jump pack troops have jump packs and dreadnoughts don't. I don't see parachutes being useful for war zone deployment in 40k.

oh yeah, why can't my Seraphim deepstrike....grrr....sorry okie back on topic.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Grav chutes are how IG deepstrike.

But yeah, a basic unmodified dread should not be able to survive the drop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts