Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

if a sm commander is in a rhino does he still count as on the table therefore giving all sm's ld 10?

any help appreciated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks i know the any help appreciated bit sounded wierd when only a one word answer was needed but there you go

thanks again

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Actually, I thought the rule was that models are effectively in limbo until placed directly on the board.

I know, for example, a Librarian couldn;t use his powers while inside a transport.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Actually the BBB FAQ is very clear on this...

Q. Can psychic powers (like Fear of the Darkness) or
other special rules (Imperial Guard Officers’ Leadership)

and pieces of wargear (like Psychic Hoods) be used
from within vehicles by models that are being
transported?

A. As transported models are not physically on the table,
they cannot do anything (unless differently specified).
The only exception is firing weapons (and using psychic
powers and abilities that replace firing a weapon) from
one of the vehicle’s Fire Point or from an open-topped
transport. On the positive side, transported troops
cannot be targeted by the enemy (the enemy can of
course target their transport, and the passengers may
suffer consequences as a result).
[emphasis mine]

A transported model is not on the table and, unless explicitly stated otherwise, may not do anything or use any special rules or wargear, but may shoot or use shooting based powers out of fire ports.

So, from my reading, no you may not use Rites of Battle until the model hits the table. Just like how an IG officer can;t use the vox casters to convey his leadership if he's in a transport.

Call it fog of war (they can't see that it;s really him giving orders) or maybe the comms in the rhino are insufficient to channel all the info he needs to give his all as far as command goes and the hull is too thick to recieve through. Whatever fluff you need to justify it, the FAQ seems pretty clear in that unless it explicitly states otherwise, models in transports are in limbo and effectively don;t exist until they hit the turf.

·
Inquisitor
963 Posts
Yep... listen to Galahad. Commanders Rights of Battle specifically state he must be on the table. Everything prior to C:CSM was ruled that if your inside a transport your not on the table. C:CSM screwed a lot of people up by starting to allow things from within transports.. Add another screw up for GW.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Yeah. Chaos icons on mounted units count as being on the board now (with distances measured from the hull), but only because the rules specifically say so, but the SM codex makes no such proviso for commanders and rites of battle.
If his toes aren't on the turf he doesn't exist

1 - 9 of 9 Posts