Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am really confused by the points for a combi weapon in the new SM codex and the rules behind it...

A pistol/rifle variant for the plasma and grav gun is 5 points more than a combi plasma or combi grav gun?

So why would you pay extra points for a plasma rifle or grav gun when you can get the combi version which is cheaper and more versatile?

Am i missing something from the rules?

Thanks

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
The fact that the non bolter part of the weapon can only fire once is the primary reason I believe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The combi weapons area a bolter with a one-shot special weapon added on. So you can only use the 'combi' part (flamer, grav, plasma etc) once per game.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
As mentioned, you can only fire it once. It's actually quite pricey for a 1 use weapon, but they do have their uses in fleshing out a tactical squad. They are also pretty useful on Sternguard.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh that makes a lot of sense then, I was unaware they are a 1 use weapon. So I'm guessing it classes as 1 use if you fail to hit?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Ohh that makes a lot of sense then, I was unaware they are a 1 use weapon. So I'm guessing it classes as 1 use if you fail to hit?
Yep, afraid so. They are pretty good for Salamanders as you can master-craft them on Sergeants for free, negating some of the problem. If you have the points spare a combi plas is usually pretty handy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I still think a combi melta is a viable option though for a tactical or Sternguard squad :)

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts