Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #361
Here's number three:

Finished sculpting the skull trim on the champ. It isn't perfect but after like 4 attempts with sculpting then furiously scraping my work away this is as good as it'll get:

And here's a group shot:

You know, now that they're coming together I'm really happy with them. I've been putting this project off for far too long. Really isn't as difficult as I thought it would be. Painting... now that's another story!

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
I've recently decided to get into 30k with a buddy of mine, as we're getting sorta bored/frustrated with 40k right now.

After mulling it over for a while, I made up my mind. I'm gonna play traitor Solar Auxilia.

My first purchase is a doozy:

Should be here in a week. :so_happy:

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Awesome!

Two things I really like are Bog standard human soldiers (traitor or not) and Tanks. Great decision!

·
Registered
633 Posts
My plan is to run them as an army of Cthonian head-hunters. A black/gray/red army scheme.

They'll be allied with an Imperialis Militia/Cult army as well, to flood the board with fearless, rending cultists. :D
That sounds epic. I am looking forward to seeing this.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #369
I decided to put the 30k army on hold indefinitely. I have at least $1500 worth of Khorne Daemonkin, CSM, and daemons that must be dealt with before I buy even more stuff I don't build. Our little house just won't hold any more stuff!

To that end, I finished sculpting trim and priming the first unit of skullcrushers bikers:

And here is the rough draft of the second unit's skull champion:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Looks good man. Are you doing any sculpting or detailing on the more wolfy bits to show more corruption?

I think some subtle little distorted decorations or added trim would take sell the look even before the paint goes on.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #375
Not this time, I think I'm leaving them as-is. There's a mix in the unit of wolf/CSM parts like shoulder pads, pistols, knives and such. Not a *perfect* match between the warp talon legs and the SW kit, but I'm happy with it.

Too much work, in other words :p. I'm saving that energy for the Skullcrushers.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
Finally finished priming and such. A few mold lines snuck through, but I'm just gonna roll with it.

I settled on a color scheme for these guys, thinking of calling them the "Sons of Cerberus" or something "of Cerberus," at any rate. Gotta have that Cerberus.

Black armor with copper trim, using GW Screaming Bell. Really love this color, and haven't had a chance to use it much until now. Probably because I never really paint anything, eh? :p

About half the unit has these frost axes, the other half is armed with dual chainswords. Not counting the 2 plasma pistol dudes and the icon bearer or the champ.

Planning to use some other metallic colors. Metallic black for some of the details, brass for certain other things. Dark grey for the joints.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I approve. That's almost exactly how my iron warriors are painted and it's a good scheme.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Painted most of the details and washed everything, leaving the black armor for last. I'm really liking this color scheme:

I think I want to paint the axe blade a vibrant red. Just not quite sure how to pull it off. Will have to do a little searching for the right recipe/technique.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Looking good so far. For the red axe I would recommend watching the "How to paint Archaon" video. His sword, cloak and the creatures tail all have a nice reddish glow, although they may be a bit orangey, but you could dial that back a bit easily enough.

Any thoughts on the skin tone yet? I think a pale unhealthy colour would look really good.

361 - 380 of 384 Posts