Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

341 - 360 of 384 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Try a longer exposure without the flash, even if you have to steady the camera by sitting it on a few books or something.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
Try a longer exposure without the flash, even if you have to steady the camera by sitting it on a few books or something.
Well, haven't bothered to take new pics yet but soon enough he'll be done and we'll get an idea of how good he is vs. how good I think he is :laugh:.

Here is one finished marine. Not super happy with the battle damage but I'm refining my technique. Just gonna use a sponge for the most part, maybe with a few slashes of a brush here and there:

·
3,351 Posts
Yeah. The battle damage isn't all that convincing.

I like the horns though!

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #344 (Edited)
Yeah. The battle damage isn't all that convincing.

I like the horns though!
Gotta start somewhere, I s'pose. I like the horns, too. Washes are lots of fun.

Here are his buddies. 10 down, hundreds more to go!

I may add some Blood for the Blood God the champ's chainswords.

I like them, over all. I wanted the unit to look absolutely filthy and in the midst of fighting on this dusty planet.

*edit*

Oh, and this is officially-really-truly the first painted unit I've ever completed. Fully painted, fully based!

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Oh, and this is officially-really-truly the first painted unit I've ever completed. Fully painted, fully based!
Congrats!

I really like these guys, they are dark and evil looking, dynamically posed and the raptor chain sword swap was genius, they look great.

Keep it up!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I dig the dust caked on their lower halves--well done, that man. And like Iraqiel says, the raptor chainsword swap has paid off in dividends.

·
3,351 Posts
@venomlust I'm sorry to say this, but after looking at this thread a few times today I don't think the bases work.

For me it's a combination of 2 things that they're bright orange and that the orange is flat and consistent.

If there was more texture and other colours in there it might be better. But even as "Martian sand" it seems too plain.

Perhaps if you had streaks of other colours in there marbling the orange with a gray or brown that might help. Or if there were other layers to the orange, darker or lighter that might help.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
I'm impressed, and I like the spur effect that the raptor feet give as well!

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hmm. The topknotted head looks a bit... distorted, but then that has been the aesthetic GW's been aiming for with its chaos stuff recently, I suppose.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Hmm. The topknotted head looks a bit... distorted, but then that has been the aesthetic GW's been aiming for with its chaos stuff recently, I suppose.
It does, and I'm not totally sold on it tbh. I have some helmeted heads from the same kit, and some Skullcrushers heads as well. My only worry with the Skullcrushers heads is that they would look sorta out of place since the majority of these juggerbikers will have the Night Lords Terror Squad helms from FW. I tried merging the two earlier in the thread, I may end up sticking with that.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
The topknot head is growing on me. I think it looks better and is balanced by the presence of pauldrons and a backpack:

And here are the two I've built so far together:

Now just imagine 23 more of them... and the loss of my sanity. Hmm. Can't really lose what you don't have, in fairness.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #360
They look great, looking like a good idea there. Also are you serious about having 23 of them? Thats certainly something to see when your done.

Keeps up the work.
Thanks very much! I really do have another 23 juggernauts/riders. Juggies are built, but the riders aren't. Still trying to figure out how many I want as meltagunners, champs, maybe an icon holder or two, and perhaps some regular bikers.

341 - 360 of 384 Posts