Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

301 - 320 of 384 Posts

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #301 (Edited)
For my next breed of juggerspawn I'm working on a variant of these guys:

My brass isn't quite as red for this one, but another wash could do some good toward that end:

Pre-wash:

Post-wash:

Maybe the next wash will be Reikland Fleshhade, as the first was Agrax Earthshade.

*edit*

Err bah! I painted the chainmail skirt brass for some reason. Going to fix that.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
A minor update on these black juggerspawn. I'm really not happy with these. I've been very sloppy, and with the limbs especially I screwed up the black. I think I forgot to paint a layer of black on the shoulders after the primer, then I did the trim, then I did the grey highlights and when I touched that part up with vallejo black it became obvious what happened.

Darn! Oh well. Tabletop quality is my goal, good enough is my mantra. I want to get this pile of plastic finished in my lifetime, so I have to accept this sort of thing.

Maybe by the time they're finished I'll be slightly happier with them.

Here they are:

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I know these area still WIP, but this guy looks like he needs a wash over the black/gray parts.
The trick is to get the shading without getting a glossy finish from a wash.

Maybe mix some water, nuln oil, and abaddon black.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
I know these area still WIP, but this guy looks like he needs a wash over the black/gray parts.
The trick is to get the shading without getting a glossy finish from a wash.

Maybe mix some water, nuln oil, and abaddon black.
That's a really good idea. That way the finish will be mostly the same over all the black areas will hopefully look better.

·
3,351 Posts
I try to only suggest good ideas. ;)

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #307
Not much to report, unfortunately. I've been super busy with school and dealing with family health problems. I'll hopefully have things sorted out and get to work again soon.

In the mean time, I decided to support Fallout Hobbies Custom Decal Shop on Kickstarter.

Since I don't really plan on using decals for my Khorne Daemonkin army (or if I do, I'll print my own black transfers on waterslide paper I bought), I decided to have some decals printed for my homebrew CSM legion "The Shadowborne," slaves/followers of Be'lakor.

Here's how the sheets are gonna look:

They're pretty expensive, but I can't wait to use them! Printing black decals myself is one thing, but these are white and I bet they're gonna look bitchin' on all of Be'lakor's cronies.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #308
Fiddled around with my airbrush and came up with these recently.

German grey + a lighter grey + nuln oil wash. There was far more contrast before the wash, of course.

Not bad. I think I like 'em. My Khorne Daemonkin daemons are black, of a similar "breed" as the Bloodthirster, Umbragor the Hopeslayer, who will also be black.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
The decals should be shipping out soon! Can't wait to get my hands on 'em.

In the mean time, I've rethought/reworked my Skullcrushers-as-bikers for my Khorne Daemonkin army.

This was the old version (concept build):

And here's the new version (concept build):

I think I just really prefer the 40k parts to the WFB Skullcrusher bits for the rider. Previously, I was using the Skullcrusher torso, left arm, and legs with a 40k head, shoulder pads, and right arm. I still like the CSM Khorne champion head from the original, but I think I like the 30k Night Lords Terror Squad heads better. There is variation among them, so the riders don't all look identical, and the skull visage is just perfect for a Khorne Daemonkin army, IMO.

It will require far more work, but now I'm going to use 40k berzerker torsos (not pictured, the one used is from the CSM kit), and Thunderwolf Cavalry arms/legs. Based on the procedure I used to achieve the new mock-up: I'll use a dremel/blade to carve away the pelvis from inside of the saddle. Then, I'll trim a bit of the power armor from the butt section of the legs to make it fit in the saddle.

The Skullcrusher legs have waaaay more detail, so I'll be adding a ton of bling in the form of brass Khorne icons, sculpted greenstuff, and so on. I'm also debating whether or not I want to make stirrups. I think they improve the believability of the rider being able to fight from juggernautback, rather than merely sitting there. The other thing I'm debating is reins. In my "fluff" of the unit there's a sort of mental link between rider and mount, and in general the juggernaut is going to charge straight toward the enemy - which is probably where the rider wants to be, as well.

So there are going to be at least 18 of these guys. I've "saved" money by buying the juggernauts second hand on ebay and from friends and such, but I've easily spent as much as I would have on the full kits including all the bits I've purchased for them... :cray: :crazy:

·
3,351 Posts
Looking good.

The legs despite the trim and etched brass are still looking too plain and not gnarley enough.

The head looks suitably nasty, though I can't quite shake the feeling that the Khorne symbol is a vice that's clamped to his head. As though it's about to twist it off.

And I'm glad the jugger you're using has an actual saddle. That Always bothered me about the other ones.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #312 (Edited)
Looking good.

The legs despite the trim and etched brass are still looking too plain and not gnarley enough.

The head looks suitably nasty, though I can't quite shake the feeling that the Khorne symbol is a vice that's clamped to his head. As though it's about to twist it off.

And I'm glad the jugger you're using has an actual saddle. That Always bothered me about the other ones.
Thanks dude. I definitely have my work cut out for me sculpting/adding details to the legs. The one in the picture is from a traitor Thunderwolf Cavalry unit I put on hold indefinitely. I plan to add the old pointy corrupted trim with arrows and skulls and such.

As for the helm I agree. I cut off too much of the side of the helmet instead of shaving away part of the Khorne symbol. I may scrap the pictured head or carefully break it apart and add some spacer material.

·
3,351 Posts
Yikes. Stompy, stompy.

I think the Lord's headdress might also work if you greenstuff the gaps on either side to make it look more connected.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Can't wait to see the running of the Juggernauts this year in the Eye of Terror.
Just need some Imp. Guard to be running away from them. :laugh:

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
What do you guys think of this chainaxe? I'm thinking that I can to add a little variety to the unit by modifying the weapons just a little bit. Is this too over the top? Does it look like a "believable" weapon? Obviously the final version would be aligned straight and have a little green stuff to fill the appropriate gaps.

Here it is:

Please share your thoughts!

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #319 (Edited)
They need much work before they're ready for painting.

Current thoughts are to add:

Chain/skulls from Skullcrushers and Berzerkers kits.
Trim sculpted from green stuff
Green stuff press-molds of details such as skulls on the armor plates
Raptors spiked feet (iffy on this because then the raptor legs wouldn't have accompanying feet, might be easier to just cut some spikes out of plasticard).

I don't want them to look exceptionally ornate, but I do want some details that set them apart from the loyalists/Space Wolf bits they're made of.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
The weapons don't look too out of proportion to 40k's already fairly silly-large weapons--I think you're good, here.

301 - 320 of 384 Posts