Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

201 - 220 of 384 Posts

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Agreed. The terminator is starting to look a lot better.

The cultists are looking a little flat. I would go big brush and do a loose base coat of dark brown and then build up the colors your using.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Agreed. The terminator is starting to look a lot better.

The cultists are looking a little flat. I would go big brush and do a loose base coat of dark brown and then build up the colors your using.
They're only 1/3 or so done at this point, I'm gonna wash them next. Only need to paint the metal bits and they'll be ready for it.

·
3,351 Posts
Oh, I know they're only partly done. Using a colour another level up in brightness really helps when you add on reds and brighter browns.

Basically it would make your colours more solid and nuanced.

·
3,351 Posts
Well, unfortunately it's what you do before you paint the colors you already have on these guys.

·
3,351 Posts
So do you guys mean its like a base colour or what ?
Yeah, @venomlust has it exactly. Building up your colours adds nuances and makes each successive layer stronger, and makes it easier to add thinner and lighter colors over a darker primer colour.

Think of paint as a translucent layer of color. So whatever color is underneath shows through the newer layers of pigments.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Red especially takes quite a few layers to show up over the black primer I used. It settles in the recesses quite readily and the raised areas not so much. I'm thinning my paints quite a bit, but I guess red pigments aren't very thick? Something about the red is different, because I'm not thinning it more than the other colors. I suppose light browns took a few layers too.

·
3,351 Posts
Yeah. Reds tend to be difficult. The old fashioned blood red from the old citadel paint sets had really poor coverage.

Actually, in point if fact my whole painting style grew out of the original citadel paints (made by Coat d'arms) which were much thinner than the last few editions of paints. The purpose was very different. The old paints were designed for blending and layering, the new paints are designed more for coverage.
@venomlust What red are you using on those cultists?

·
3,351 Posts
Ah. I haven't used Vallejo but I hear good things. There's a base red that citadel makes now which is heavy and has really good coverage, but which can go on to thick if you aren't careful. Mephiston red maybe?

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
There's a base red that citadel makes now which is heavy and has really good coverage
The two base reds are Mephiston Red (bright) and Khorne Red (Dark). Both have excellent coverage and will go over pretty much anything. I would thin them down a tad though, as they are pretty thick.

In regards to the reds I would go the same route with doing a highlight before you wash. If you do one before you wash, and after, you get a more fluent transition between them in my opinion. It's what I've been doing the past couple of projects (Bloodthirsters included) so I can heavily recommend that approach.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #215 (Edited)
I'll have to try those alternate methods with the next batch, as I'm just sorta winging this one.

I've painted the metallics and washed the models. Nuln Oil on the metal, Reikland Fleshshade on the rest. I'm happy with the results.

I didn't wash this guy's hands yet:

A little edge highlighting on the metallics on this one:

Painted a highlight of Vallejo Dark Flesh on this guy's hands/head:

Haven't done anything to these two yet:

I must say that even for the "African" skin tones, Reikland Fleshshade really enhanced the color by adding the brown pigments. I love washes!

I'm curious how I should edge highlight the black leather masks and such. Perhaps a dark grey and then a very fine line of lighter grey?

·
3,351 Posts
I must say that even for the "African" skin tones, Reikland Fleshshade really enhanced the color by adding the brown pigments. I love washes!

I'm curious how I should edge highlight the black leather masks and such. Perhaps a dark grey and then a very fine line of lighter grey?
I'd mix a little blue and a little gray into black as the highlight. And then use nuln oil over it, and let the added sheen from the ink wash create a more natural specularity.

·
3,351 Posts
The red, the skin, and the gun wrapping turned out nicely. Everything else is still a little flat. Particularly the browns and greens.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Yeah I have yet to touch the browns with any highlights. The greens did get some highlights but the pictures of them aren't great, I'll take more after I work on the browns.

Thanks for the help along the way, it's much appreciated. :victory:

201 - 220 of 384 Posts